I got scalper prices on Zotacs website

SquiddyButler

I just want to share my frustrations with you all. I bought a Zotac Amp Holo 3070 on Zotacs website, and got ripped off. I payed 840 for it and I could have literally just have gotten a 3080 for the same price, instead of the worst 3070 there is (is what I've heard). Don't get me wrong, I'm still grateful for this but it kinda sucks that I payed the price of a 3080 for the worst 3070.

I cant feel your pain, I have an RX 570. Way more performance than I need. I'm just surprised that you got your hands on a 30 series let alone a gpu that is latest gen for under 1k. I'm sure you can sell it later on when prices drop and then get a 3080.

Main System:
CPU
 - AMD Ryzen 5 3600 (OC) 

Motherboard - Asus ROG Strix B450-F Gaming II 
RAM - Crucial Ballistix 3200 Mhz 16 GB (8x2) 
GPU - Asus Dual RTX2060 12GB
Case - Corsair 4000D Airflow
Storage - Crucial BX500 480 GB - Seagate BarraCuda 7200 RPM 2 TB
PSU - PowerSpec 650 Watt 80 Plus Bronze (looking for replacement, its loud)
Cooler - Hyper 212 Evo with two RGB fans

NAS:

CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 640 (had on hand)

Motherboard: HP Slimline S5610F Motherboard from Ebay

RAM: EVGA Superclocked 16gb

Storage: 2x 4TB WD Blue and old asf caviar se16 250gb because I had it and its worked for so long I don't trust anything else as much

GPU: Integrated on the mobo
Case: Old PowerSpec case from Micro Center (that can hold 8 hard drives)

PSU: EVGA W3 500W

Cooler: AMD stock cooler at PS4 RPM's that keeps the cpu at 14-24 degrees

11 minutes ago, SquiddyButler said:

I just want to share my frustrations with you all. I bought a Zotac Amp Holo 3070 on Zotacs website, and got ripped off. I payed 840 for it and I could have literally just have gotten a 3080 for the same price, instead of the worst 3070 there is (is what I've heard). Don't get me wrong, I'm still grateful for this but it kinda sucks that I payed the price of a 3080 for the worst 3070.

Er, Not quite the worst. Ventus 2x is worse. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

Are you sure? I believe that with Tariffs, you probably won't be able to get a 3080 for a whole bunch more than what you paid.

I bought a used Vega 64 just recently, since there's nothing I can buy that's brand new that isn't a super duper ripoff. My 980 wasn't keeping up with the 1440p 144hz monitor I recently bought. I couldn't even get 30 FPS in most games.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

3 hours ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Er, Not quite the worst. Ventus 2x is worse. 

ventus x2 owner.....can confirm, this is true.

1 hour ago, Sarra said:

Are you sure? I believe that with Tariffs, you probably won't be able to get a 3080 for a whole bunch more than what you paid.

I bought a used Vega 64 just recently, since there's nothing I can buy that's brand new that isn't a super duper ripoff. My 980 wasn't keeping up with the 1440p 144hz monitor I recently bought. I couldn't even get 30 FPS in most games.

Am I sure about what?

3 hours ago, Glenn-Tidbury said:

is it better than the FE model?

35 minutes ago, jwwagner25 said:

All I can tell you is that it's been an absolutely pita to get the card down to reasonable temperatures at stable clocks. The cooling on the card massively insufficient. Before I did anything, the card would regularly hit 80 to 83 degrees C while gaming, and the screen would randomly freeze up. Not crash to desktop or anything, but it was just like the screen would stop updating like it went to literally 0 fps and would just display whatever was on screen for a few seconds, then return to normal. It also sounds like a jet engine whenever it gets above 70C for more than a minute or so. 

Ive spent around a month getting temperatures down to around 60 to 65 while keeping the clocks at 1860mhz (same as it was reaching at stock, but about 15 to 20 degrees cooler).

Im undervolting to 1845@887mV (as I said, actually giving 1860 in game, as the curve fluctuates). I set a custom fan curve so the fans never turn off, start at 30%@30C and below,  60%@60C, 80%@80C and 100%@90C. I also added an extra intake and extra exhaust fan to my case. 

Between all this, after a month of tinkering, I think ive got a fairly stable system, although I'm still seeing a little stutter in games that I didn't see with my 2070.

I would definitely recommend that you look at the cooling that each of the 3070 cards offer before you blindly just buy the first 3070 you can get your hands on, like I did.

I think im finally, sort of, happy-ish..... but definitely would have preferred to be playing games this last month rather than spending most of my free time trying to make it somewhat usable. 

4 hours ago, Glenn-Tidbury said:

All I can tell you is that it's been an absolutely pita to get the card down to reasonable temperatures at stable clocks. The cooling on the card massively insufficient. Before I did anything, the card would regularly hit 80 to 83 degrees C while gaming, and the screen would randomly freeze up. Not crash to desktop or anything, but it was just like the screen would stop updating like it went to literally 0 fps and would just display whatever was on screen for a few seconds, then return to normal. It also sounds like a jet engine whenever it gets above 70C for more than a minute or so. 

Ive spent around a month getting temperatures down to around 60 to 65 while keeping the clocks at 1860mhz (same as it was reaching at stock, but about 15 to 20 degrees cooler).

Im undervolting to 1845@887mV (as I said, actually giving 1860 in game, as the curve fluctuates). I set a custom fan curve so the fans never turn off, start at 30%@30C and below,  60%@60C, 80%@80C and 100%@90C. I also added an extra intake and extra exhaust fan to my case. 

Between all this, after a month of tinkering, I think ive got a fairly stable system, although I'm still seeing a little stutter in games that I didn't see with my 2070.

I would definitely recommend that you look at the cooling that each of the 3070 cards offer before you blindly just buy the first 3070 you can get your hands on, like I did.

I think im finally, sort of, happy-ish..... but definitely would have preferred to be playing games this last month rather than spending most of my free time trying to make it somewhat usable. 

I know that the Zotac one I got isn't the best, but I'm just really hoping that it will at least perform well with little issues

8 hours ago, SquiddyButler said:

Am I sure about what?

When everything comes back "in stock", prices are going up. Like WAY up. Like you might have spent the actual MSRP on your card, and the 3080 is going to cost waaaay more. The 3070 might retail for $800 now, and the 3080 retail for $950, with the 3090 going for $2,000.

Unless you aren't in the US, in which case... I have no idea.

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

43 minutes ago, SquiddyButler said:

I know that the Zotac one I got isn't the best, but I'm just really hoping that it will at least perform well with little issues

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

14 hours ago, SquiddyButler said:

You shouldn't be grateful That's the problem!

And the fact that the manufacturers themselves sell at "scalping" prices proves my arguments about "scalpers" being the scapegoat and just a fabrication for the manufacturers and maybe also nvidia and AMD themselves to profiteer over our hard-earned money! 

A gray area scam! 

More about this:  

And the older one 

This has gotten ridiculous they laugh right at us!  

It has gotten to the point where e.g with a budget of $1000 (even accounting for inflation!) you could get a much faster PC a year ago or more so in the PAST with the OLDER tech (that is still available today for sale btw!) compared to if you have that same budget and want to build a rig NOW despite new gen and old gen still available for sale supposedly!     Even if you chose the same exact gear in past compared to our present!

What happened to computing getting faster and cheaper every year? our past selves from 2019 2018 2017 down to the 80's would LAUGH if we told them that it is more cheap to make a PC build in the past instead of getting new gen now or older gen in the present (because older gen prices for decades now  are supposed to fall dramatically with new gen launches and as time passes in general! )

It is a facade and not funny at all they have no excuses and something needs to be done (other than praising our overlords and be grateful that they tear us a new one for a piece of hardware that will be obsolete in a couple of years max) ! 

It is not unheard of and in other markets governments have enforced things when profiteering was at play by the big corporations  talk to your eu representative or your governor! or your consumer rights organization!  we need to start lobbying as consumers to put an end to this! 

12 hours ago, Glenn-Tidbury said:

Same here, Own one. Was gifted a prebuilt, there's a reason why this GPU is put in the pc when you don't select a specific GPU model in the configurator. 

8 hours ago, jwwagner25 said:

No. The ventus 2x is the bottom of the stack. The FE is quite a bit better. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 

7 hours ago, Glenn-Tidbury said:

I mean this is a card where you can't even increase the power limit, where the stock cooler is worse than the FE- and It's not even a blower- and the vrms... ugh. The only saving grace is that the cooler doesn't sound like a hurricane every time it's under load, but the temps are pretty bad. 

25 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

I mean this is a card where you can't even increase the power limit, where the stock cooler is worse than the FE- and It's not even a blower- and the vrms... ugh. The only saving grace is that the cooler doesn't sound like a hurricane every time it's under load, but the temps are pretty bad. 

Do you know if the Zotac 3070 would preform well?

1 minute ago, SquiddyButler said:

Do you know if the Zotac 3070 would preform well?

From what I've seen it should perform somewhat similarly to the FE- Which is to say fine, but not super great. Don't expect it to rival a tuf 3070, or a evga xc3, or a aorus master.

27 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

From what I've seen it should perform somewhat similarly to the FE- Which is to say fine, but not super great. Don't expect it to rival a tuf 3070, or a evga xc3, or a aorus master.

That's fine, as long as it is a good card at least

Just now, SquiddyButler said:

That's fine, as long as it is a good card at least

The GPU is great. The card isn't.

2 minutes ago, SquiddyButler said:

Wdym?

The GPU itself- the chip inside of the card, the GA104-770-A1 chip, is a great GPU. Everything else- The motherboard/PCB of the gpu, vrms, mosfets, cooling solution, ect. aren't that great. 

Just now, Brok3n But who cares? said:

The GPU itself- the chip inside of the card, the GA104-770-A1 chip, is a great GPU. Everything else- The motherboard/PCB of the gpu, vrms, mosfets, cooling solution, ect. aren't that great. 

Oh ok. And sorry last thing, for which card, yours or mine?

1 minute ago, SquiddyButler said:

Oh ok. And sorry last thing, for which card, yours or mine?

Was talking about yours but applies to both of ours. 

SO bummed for everyone getting screwed over. I don't know how I got lucky with getting the FE 3070 on release day from BB..the irritation seeing how the scalping is happening is beyond words. Don't hate me though because I got screwed on the CPU end of things. If you had told us a year ago what the current situation would be, we would laugh in your face...

The talk about that 3070 having such poor design reminds me of the 2060 KO that they slapped the 1660 cooler onto. Turbo jet anyone?