Your experience with the 5800X!

Hey peeps, Just wanna know you highlights or downfalls with the 5800X. I know about some of the caveats as listed in GBN's video and what not, But hey, is what it is.

this includes things like, Silicon lottery, All core clocks, standard performance.

P.s. Please don't mention anything about the 5600X/5900X, I know there strictly the choice of 90% of other 5th gen users rn.

I really like(d) mine, I keep switching from it and the 5900 (cannot decide which to sell) so that might tell you something. my 5800 scores a lot better single threaded than the 5900. The only downside of 5800 is that it runs *very* hot.

For perspective, doing cinebench all-core test it gets up to 88c on a 240mm AIO.

With that same 240mm AIO running at the same pump speed, same case, etc, the 5900 only gets up to 69c on the same test.

If you have a powerful cooler then I see zero downside to 5800x, although it begs the question: do you really need the extra single-core performance? all-core, it's not much faster than 3800xt which can be found on ebay CONSIDERABLY cheaper than 5800x. 

Food for though. Hope I was a little helpful?

Let me know if you have other questions. 

Jake

Got mine for like 2 weeks now. 

Runs perfectly fine - only a little bit hot for my taste. But as 100x discussed before, that might result from the way the temperature is measured.
With a Dark Rock Pro 4 it stays at 85°C under max load, 82°C on the 30min Cinebench test runs.

It did not thermo throttle. All cores stayed at 4.8ish all the time. 
My chip hit all benchmark tests as expected with almost no difference to others so I think the overall quality between them seems ok.

It overclocked quite fine, but I use it at stock speeds since I don't really need that extra performance and I don't wonna toast it with my cooling solution. 

I can't say anything bad about it. Even compared to the 5600/5900 of friends setups.

At least in germany the price/value was quite ok comparted to the other zen 2/3 options to be honest.
Hope that helped a little
~

My overall setup should be visible on my profile. I'm new here so I have no idea if I have to accept something extra to have it visible xD

21 hours ago, jwwagner25 said:

I really like(d) mine, I keep switching from it and the 5900 (cannot decide which to sell) so that might tell you something. my 5800 scores a lot better single threaded than the 5900. The only downside of 5800 is that it runs *very* hot.

For perspective, doing cinebench all-core test it gets up to 88c on a 240mm AIO.

With that same 240mm AIO running at the same pump speed, same case, etc, the 5900 only gets up to 69c on the same test.

If you have a powerful cooler then I see zero downside to 5800x, although it begs the question: do you really need the extra single-core performance? all-core, it's not much faster than 3800xt which can be found on ebay CONSIDERABLY cheaper than 5800x. 

Food for though. Hope I was a little helpful?

Let me know if you have other questions. 

Jake

Excellent help Jake, Straight to the point, a comparison that was welcomed, None of that *But you should get this instead* bullshit. And as I thought, a great product. And don't worry, I'm gonna pair it with a 360mm AIO with good fans, AND a crazy good airflow case.

At first I hated it, was far too hot and it was scary seeing the temperatures rise to 90c instantly during a cine bench run. But after bios update, a reseat and switching to the Dark Rock Pro 4, everything is running smoothly. 

At stock it hits 4.85, and I have it overclocked to 5.1, I have seen some users get as high as 5.2 and above. Overall, a fantastic CPU and I am happy to have switched this from a 3900x. All I do is play games, and a friend of mine who needed a CPU for work is benefiting much more from the extra cores of the 3900x. 

19 hours ago, ShennyG said:

At first I hated it, was far too hot and it was scary seeing the temperatures rise to 90c instantly during a cine bench run. But after bios update, a reseat and switching to the Dark Rock Pro 4, everything is running smoothly. 

At stock it hits 4.85, and I have it overclocked to 5.1, I have seen some users get as high as 5.2 and above. Overall, a fantastic CPU and I am happy to have switched this from a 3900x. All I do is play games, and a friend of mine who needed a CPU for work is benefiting much more from the extra cores of the 3900x. 

Nice, many thanks for the simplistic anser!

On 2/7/2021 at 1:37 AM, Nexblitzer said:

Excellent help Jake, Straight to the point, a comparison that was welcomed, None of that *But you should get this instead* bullshit. And as I thought, a great product. And don't worry, I'm gonna pair it with a 360mm AIO with good fans, AND a crazy good airflow case.

Very cool, thanks for the thanks. Hope you enjoy the new system. depending on how close you sit to the case or just want that extra layer of control; I'd recommend checking out the 'fan control' app posted on the forum by another user. Allows insane levels of fine-tuning for all fans, can tune them based on GPU temp (or anything else), etc. It's pretty neat. 

• 2 weeks later...

Might be a little late to the post but here is my experience with the Ryzen 7 5800x

My 5800x ran very hot (what a surprise), while doing a CineBench R20 run. Firstly it hit 5600 points, which i thought was very low, and had to do with the very high termals (i was comming from a i7 7700k overclocked to 5ghz) which was cooler doing a similar test. With some tweaks to PBO settings I was able to get 6069 points in R20 as my best score, which is a lot better than that of 5600 points. Temperature was the same a 90C and while gaming it hit 82C with an avg. of about 75C. It's worth noting that these temperatures was hit by using a Kraken X63 280mm AIO. 

Some time has passed and since then I've sent my 5800x back for a refund twice as I've seen people getting much more comfortable temperatures, which hasn't yet worked for me. So while i'm waiting for the refund for my motherboard, cooler and CPU, i'll be getting a mATX motherboard as I will be able to fit a 360mm AIO in the top of my case. I will be getting the same CPU again for the 3rd time, and hopefully 3rd times the charm for me. Hope you found this helpfull, and once again sorry for late post. 

CPU Ryzen 7 5800x, Motherboard  Currently looking for a new one, RAM G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32gb CL16 (2x16), GPU Asus Strix GTX 1080 OC, Case Lian Li O11 Mini, Storage CORSAIR Force Series MP600 1000gb NVMe, PSU CORSAIR sf750, Cooling Currently looking for a new one, Displays Samsung 32" C32HG70QQU 2560 x 1440 WQHD @ 144 Hz