Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello, I have an RTX 3080 ftw 3 I got back in september and I've been waiting to get an optimus block, I placed it in my cart back in october but It sold out before I could process payment and I've been hearing that quite a bit of people have not received there blocks from optimus that ordered in the october/november time. So I'm thinking about getting this ekwb block instead because I know ek is a larger company and can probably produce more blocks in the same time frame. so what do you guys think of this ek block? 

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-vector-ftw3-rtx-3080-3090-d-rgb-nickel-acetal

Thanks in advanced 

4 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Hello, I have an RTX 3080 ftw 3 I got back in september and I've been waiting to get an optimus block, I placed it in my cart back in october but It sold out before I could process payment and I've been hearing that quite a bit of people have not received there blocks from optimus that ordered in the october/november time. So I'm thinking about getting this ekwb block instead because I know ek is a larger company and can probably produce more blocks in the same time frame. so what do you guys think of this ek block? 

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-vector-ftw3-rtx-3080-3090-d-rgb-nickel-acetal

Thanks in advanced 

Generally EKWB makes fine products but they're overpriced. From what I can see the block is pretty fine. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 
My build:
CPU: 10700k Oc'd to 5.0 ghz                            GPU: RTX 3070 ventus 2x
Motherboard: Asus z490-v                                Cooler: Deepcool castle ex 120mm
Ram: Team tforce delta 32gb 3200mhz cl16     Case: Phanteks p418r (p360a ripoff) 
PSU: Apevia Prestige 800w

Notes:
Spoiler

To me the 10700k seems pretty underrated. It's a very solid cpu. at 5.0ghz it draws 175-185w under full load. the Asus z490-v is a sh*t teir motherboard, I wouldn't recommend it for anything past a 10600k for light oc's only. Tforce ram is pretty but cpu cooler clearance can be an issue on them, so beware. the RTX 3070 is obviously a great card, but the ventus 2x is just horrible. Don't buy it, not now, not ever. It's flimsy af, you can't increase the stock power limit, the cooler is worse than the one on the 3070FE. If it's a choice between this and nothing, choose nothing. The deepcool castle ex 120mm isn't really on sale outside of prebuilts, but it's a nice pretty cooler, gets my 10700k up to 96c after a prime95 cpu test for 15 minutes. The p418r is basically what it looks like. P360a, slap a few cyberpowerpc logos on it, and you're golden. The Apevia Prestige 800w is bad, but not terrible. Runs respectably quiet and isn't a bomb. More than a lot of PSU's in prebuilts can claim.

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

43 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

Generally EKWB makes fine products but they're overpriced

Technically $178 is a lot cheaper then the optimus block at $380 but thats good. any idea on how good the ek is with thermal performance?

24 minutes ago, DominicNikon said:

Technically $178 is a lot cheaper then the optimus block at $380 but thats good. any idea on how good the ek is with thermal performance?

I'm not totally sure about that, But If I had to guess it likely would be upper middle-of-the road when compared to other blocks. 

I am NOT a professional and a lot of the time what I'm saying is based on limited knowledge and experience. I'm going to be incorrect at times. 
My build:
CPU: 10700k Oc'd to 5.0 ghz                            GPU: RTX 3070 ventus 2x
Motherboard: Asus z490-v                                Cooler: Deepcool castle ex 120mm
Ram: Team tforce delta 32gb 3200mhz cl16     Case: Phanteks p418r (p360a ripoff) 
PSU: Apevia Prestige 800w

Notes:
Spoiler

To me the 10700k seems pretty underrated. It's a very solid cpu. at 5.0ghz it draws 175-185w under full load. the Asus z490-v is a sh*t teir motherboard, I wouldn't recommend it for anything past a 10600k for light oc's only. Tforce ram is pretty but cpu cooler clearance can be an issue on them, so beware. the RTX 3070 is obviously a great card, but the ventus 2x is just horrible. Don't buy it, not now, not ever. It's flimsy af, you can't increase the stock power limit, the cooler is worse than the one on the 3070FE. If it's a choice between this and nothing, choose nothing. The deepcool castle ex 120mm isn't really on sale outside of prebuilts, but it's a nice pretty cooler, gets my 10700k up to 96c after a prime95 cpu test for 15 minutes. The p418r is basically what it looks like. P360a, slap a few cyberpowerpc logos on it, and you're golden. The Apevia Prestige 800w is bad, but not terrible. Runs respectably quiet and isn't a bomb. More than a lot of PSU's in prebuilts can claim.

Motherboard Tier List                   How many watts do I need?
Best B550 Motherboards             Best Intel Z490 Motherboards

PC Troubleshooting                      You don't need a big PSU

PSU Tier List                                Common pc building mistakes 
PC BUILD Guide! (POV)              How to Overclock your CPU 

46 minutes ago, Brok3n But who cares? said:

I'm not totally sure about that, But If I had to guess it likely would be upper middle-of-the road when compared to other blocks. 

Ok cool. Just curious, what would you consider the highest end blocks?

I don’t see many comparisons between blocks. Not like most products. 
I get the same brand so parts match. Hate mismatching blocks. I always go ek as their stuff looks good for all of their blocks. Unlike a lot of companies. Not worried about leak performance as 2c isn’t gonna make or break my build. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer GD235hz 1920x1080@120hz

@DominicNikon - I'm running the nickel EK block & backplate on my EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra and on average, the temperature drop is in the range of 30~40°C under load. Currently idling at 25°C in an ambient of 21°C and my loop is configured as parallel with a 9900K at 5GHz all cores.

The unfortunate part is going to be getting your hands on an EK block at this time... I pre-ordered mine when they opened ordering Dec 7 last year and got it near the end of January. I think you'll be waiting until at least April if you order an EK block now as they are still fulfilling backorders. You might have better luck scoring the Alphacool offering at Performance PC's like a few on the EVGA forums have managed although it currently showing out of stock.

4 hours ago, Blai5e said:

might have better luck scoring the Alphacool offering at Performance PC's like a few on the EVGA

How are alpha cool blocks compared to EK?

8 hours ago, DominicNikon said:

How are alpha cool blocks compared to EK?

I don't own one but a number of people on the EVGA forums do and they seem happy with their purchases.

the main difference between the waterclocks is design and ease of installation. most of them are the same in performance +- a couple degrees, EK blocks are good and reliable. on the other hand full cover chinese blocks deliver more a less the same result but might need a different thermal pads cause they provide really cheap ones.

CPU: i7 8700K OC 5.0 gHz, Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero (Z170), RAM: 32gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Asus Strix OC gtx 1080ti, Storage: Samsung 950pro 500gb, samsung 860evo 500gb, 2x2Tb + 6Tb HDD,Case: Lian Li PC O11 dynamic, Cooling: Very custom loop.

CPU: i7 8700K, Motherboard Asus z390i, RAM:32gb g.skill RGB 3200, GPU: EVGA Gtx 1080ti SC Black, Storage: samsung 960evo 500gb, samsung 860evo 1tb (M.2) Case: lian li q37. Cooling: on the way to get watercooled (EKWB, HWlabs, Noctua, Barrow)

CPU: i7 9400F, Motherboard: Z170i pro gaming, RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200 mHz, GPU: Sapphire Vega56 pulse with Bykski waterblock, Storage: wd blue 500gb (windows) Samsung 860evo 500Gb (MacOS), PSU Corsair sf600 Case: Motif Monument aluminium replica, Cooling: Custom water cooling loop