Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Strange GPU behaviour

Helloooo 🙂

for the past few months, I have been experiencing strange GPU behaviour in my desktop PC. 

my Average GPU temperature while playing Fortnite, (and some other games) has come down from about 73-75 degrees C and lowered to around the low 60 degrees C, it rarely gets to 70 degrees C. With this, I have experienced lower frame rates in game. For example, before, when I played Fortnite, the frame rate rarely dropped below 70 fps but now it can drop to below 50 fps. I haven't experienced any issues with GPU video clock speed and memory clock speed.

I have tried a few things to solve the issue:

reinstalling drivers

trying older drivers

Using DDU

using different Keyboard and mouse

updating keyboard and mouse drivers

reseating the graphics card

a psu rated for a higher power output 

disabling icue and SSengine

full scan with antivirus

this issue occurred shortly after I got a new keyboard, mouse and headset, so I am wondering if this is connected to my issue.

I also don't know if it's the GPU that is the issue, its just that I noticed the lower GPU temps with lower fps.

This issue does happen with other games, so I don't think it's specific to Fortnite.

My specs are as follows:

cpu: Ryzen 3 3200G (igpu disabled)

mobo: asrock b450 pro4-f

ram: 1 x 8GB ddr4 3000mhz 

graphics card: zotac gtx 1660 super twin fan

psu: corsair vs450

storage device: crucial mx500 500GB SSD

case: cit f3

cooler: amd stock

I know that my GPU may be slightly bottlenecked by my CPU, but this issue hasn't occurred before, and I have had this PC since June 2020, and first noticed the issue in December.

Also, I, being clumsy as usual, accidentally touched the back of my graphics card's pcb with a screwdriver whilst the pc was on, which caused it to spark. However this didn't seem to affect anything and the PC was fine. This did happen a few months ago.

I am new to this forum, so any advice would be greatly appreciated 🙂

Thank you

Edit: I have noticed that my GPU can get up to 73-75 degrees C in the lobby on Fortnite, I don't believe this happened before

If you are running the system with XMP enabled, try testing with all defaults.

- If it ain't broken, don't fix it! - - Your post codes and beep codes in the drop down below -

Spoiler

16 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

If you are running the system with XMP enabled, try testing with all defaults.

Hi there

Thank you very much for your advice :-)

I tried clearing the cmos (so xmp was reset) however, unfortunately, this didn’t seem to make a difference to the problem.

I am currently doing a fresh install of windows to see if that makes a difference, i am hoping that this will help me determine whether the issue is with the hardware or software.

Thanks again :-)

So i tried a fresh install of windows on a different drive, however it doesn’t seem to have made much of a difference.

I assume it might be a hardware issue then?

Has anyone got any advice on where to start with trouble shooting the hardware?

Thanks again 🙂 

26 minutes ago, BigNavi31 said:

So i tried a fresh install of windows on a different drive, however it doesn’t seem to have made much of a difference.

I assume it might be a hardware issue then?

Has anyone got any advice on where to start with trouble shooting the hardware?

Thanks again 🙂 

Try running a few benchmarks and comparing it with other similar setups. It might just be an issue with the game after an update. One game just isn't a good judge of whether or not a problem exists with your gpu.

Ok Thank you 🙂 

do you know of any good free benchmarks?

i know of valley, heaven and fur mark.

Edit: i would prefer to use benchmarks that support dx12, as i am aware that some benchmarks don’t support dx12

Thanks 🙂 

1 hour ago, AngryBeaver said:

Try running a few benchmarks and comparing it with other similar setups. It might just be an issue with the game after an update. One game just isn't a good judge of whether or not a problem exists with your gpu.

So I ran Valley with these settings:

Ultra graphics

x8 antialiasing

full screen 

resolution 1440x900

I got a score of 4111

However, I am not sure what benchmarks i should compare with mine with because of the resolution i ran the benchmark at (unfortunately the monitor i use isn’t 1080p)

Also, when the benchmark had finished and showed me my results, it said that i was using Windows 8 64 bit, however i am using windows 10 64bit

Thanks again 🙂 

So i noticed two strange things about my valley benchmark.
The first is that in the results, it said i have windows 8 64 bit - however i have windows 10 64 bit.

The second strange thing, was that it said i have 4GB of vram however i have 6GB

I have attached a picture of the results of the benchmark.

Do you think this could have anything to do with my strange performance issue?

Thanks again 🙂 

D4FB8983-38CD-4D4C-A4A1-CD1D8B341024.jpeg