Review of the X2HR's and compared to my 990 pros

So, today my X2's arrived from amazon. I got a "very good" used pair and I don't regret I did. They first of all are in great condition, they look new and most importantly feel new. I am gonna go through what I think about these and compare them to my older daily driver, my 990 pros. This review is my first really "review" ever of headphones so don't expect much. It is not as in depth as others.

Let me start off this review with build quality and packaging. I was wowed to see these in person because I didn't think the build quality was this impressive as they really and clearly are. They are as sturdy as my computer case haha. Anyways. The unboxing was alright although having bought a used pair. Back to the build quality. The top headband piece is a kind of metal type pair of tubes. They rotate sideways on the head by bending the actual headband which is fine since they are sturdy. The earcups feel like metal as well but they are hard plastic.

The earpads are really good, probably not something I'll need to replace in like 2 years. I've seen dekoni released a replacement ear pad for both the X2's and X3's which is great. Cable is good, makes some noise when touched but that wont matter when I actually listen to music or play games. It's not like I rub the cable all the time.

Build, 9/10 unboxing, 6/10

The comfort:

Putting these on at first, they are really comfortable, just not extremely since they are just opened and tested right out of the box not giving them time to adjust to my head shape yet. But the dense memory foam ear pads with the nice self-adjusting hammock there is nothing bad to say about these. The weight of these is barely noticeable with the comfort of the ear pads and the hammock. But it does put a little bit of strain on my neck muscels since my 990's weigh like 100 grams less which makes me rate the comfort at 8 instead of 9 or 10. But this will definitely change over time due to me getting used to the X2's.

Edit: Comfort has gotten much, much better just after a couple of hours. 

Comfort, 7/10

The sound:

Reviewers such as Zeos, him saying these are worth the full price of 300 dollars as they were if I understood correctly, they definitely are. The sound of these compared to my 990's is very smooth. No more piercing treble. Although both shine in different categories. I found these to have more refined bass. Maybe these sound like that since they are almost brand new and not used over a year like my DT 990's were. The bass is tight and EQ friendly if I'd like more bassy explosions in for example battlefield. The treble is still pretty detailed and these give much more of the mid range compared to the 990's.

The sound stage is hard to explain. But it feels very open. These also leak a lot and I can hear my own voice with a less muffle filter over it compared to the 990's. Maybe I am so used to my 990's since the sound signature and sound stage is so drastically different. I love the sound stage tho. Tested with CS:GO where I had to put these into competitive use. I got instantly better with the positional accuracy with its imaging. Peoples ears are different but I can locate footsteps as good or even better. The only disadvantage is the treble and footsteps not being as pronounced as they were on the 990's. But giving these a bit more boost in the treble and higher midrange and lowering the bass will definitely help hearing them.

Seen some people described these to be a kind of "bass-head open back headphone", not at all as I'd describe them. These have less bass than my 990's but tighter. Kinda makes me feel like the 990's are sloppy in the mid-bass region. These do have less extended sub-bass but still great. Paired with my AE-9 I can definitely tell a difference between onboard and my AE-9. Less difference than my 990's tho. Take my rating with a pinch of salt since I haven't tried higher end headphones over 300 dollars but when I do, I'll definitely see what I'll change my rating to.

Sound, 8/10

⭐Final overall rating: 7,5⭐

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

I hope this review wasn't too shabby and that it might be interesting and helpful!

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wired

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

Any questions regarding these headphones or something I forgot to cover in the review is greatly appreciated!

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

the 990s are stupid unique and hard to reccomend. for many reasons that midbass bump is definitely a problem. when not properly amped iit does sound sloppy. and with bad amp pairing its definitely too bright especially with new and not flatenned/ broken in pads. glad the fidelios found another fan. lots of folks in the deeper audio communities are pretty adverse to them personally I like them. Bass wise depending on the music they can be just as sloppy if not sloppier than the 990's especially the x2 and x1 the x2 hr is a biut better in this regard. the smooth and wider sound is really a highlight of this headphone. when we call things bass head I think most people refer to the subbass extension which these guys definitely beat the 990s in. the 990 have big boosted mid bass which is the more used frequency range for bass and is easier to hear the subbass region is the region you feel more than hear Is the best way I can explain it. personally I prefer the 990s still for gaming and to me is more accurate especiually for left and right imaging front and back the fidelios might have an edge on it. 

to me the 990s if you wanna enjoy them for music at least need a specific set of ears or even gear to make up for it if you don't feel like eq'ng. the 990s definitely improve if your comfortable with eq at least. but so do every other headphone TBH

1 hour ago, rice guru said:

. when not properly amped iit does sound sloppy

Yeah. Maybe my explanation wasn't very good. What I meant was that the X2's have a more open sound resulting in less bass drowning the mids/highs compared to the 990's. The 990's are still gonna be in my heart since they were my gateway to this community. The X2's on the other hand have a smoother sound as you also stated. Apparently, listening to bassy music with these gives more of a thump instead of a boom. Maybe my 990's are more burned in but I prefer the X2's for bassy music. Also, vocals... Soo good. Some people are gonna say, Sennheisers. Well that would be too boring for my taste of music. I like a V shaped or neutral headphone. Not a mid forward. It sounds too intimate for my taste.

refer to the subbass extension which these guys definitely beat the 990s in

Actually it is the opposite for me, the 990 pros sub bass is much more pronounced, even with EQ it is hard to get that much sub bass with such high gains in dB. 

the 990 have big boosted mid bass which is the more used frequency range for bass and is easier to hear the subbass region is the region you feel more than hear Is the best way I can explain it

That explains it.

the 990s definitely improve if your comfortable with eq at least. but so do every other headphone TBH

Exactly. But what I really figured out after EQing my X2's was EQing the 990's for a more comfortable level gave them a "sloppy" feeling to them. Pretty hard to explain. Beyers might be affected differently to EQ than other headphones. I guess that is just the nature of headphones. 

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

Your input ont the sound of the x2hr made them even more appealing to me ... I was kinda set to save up and get the HE4xx but I might be getting the x2hr instead ... thanx for the review.

I9 10850K

EVGA RTX 3080 TI FTW3 ULTRA

32 Gb Crucial Balistix ddr4 3600mHz 16-18-18-38

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

Fractal Design Ion+ 860W platinum

Arctic Liquid Freezer II, 360mm

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

TeamGroup L5 3D Lite 1 Tb sata SSD

3 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

Your input ont the sound of the x2hr made them even more appealing to me ... I was kinda set to save up and get the HE4xx but I might be getting the x2hr instead ... thanx for the review.

Exactly an answer/comment I was looking for. Thanks! The HE4xx's I've heard has very bad QC and that the sound can be kinda fatiguing sometimes. Not based of off my experience.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

6 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

HE4xx

These require a hefty amp as well. Although if you have an amp there would likely be no issue. Just gonna point out tho. Looking at specs of the HE4xx's and at the actual headphones themselves. They look pretty uncomfortable and heavy which they are (370g). The fidelios are 380 but the headband and the memory foam ear pads are just so nice that I've never worn a comfier headphone ever. Sound is probably not going to be your cup of tea if you like bassy or deep sounds as well as smooth vocals. They are also not very good for gaming compared to most dynamic headphones, or so I've heard. I've heard people complain about cheap planar magnetic headphones having crackling noises or just having bad QC issues and breaking.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

34 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

4xx is a different beast. planar leans neutral bright with a slightly metallic timbre unless paired with the right amp. wide sound with great layering imaging is accurate but not pinpoint. heavy but decently well distributed weight. Almost requires a week of brain burn in from what people Ive reccomended it  to say and my own experience especially if you haven' t heard planar before. also very good at getting micro details and is one of the most detailed headphones sub $100. but I would get the similarly princed 400i 2020 editions instead. its a slightly more refined sounding  headphone and witha  better headband. 

25 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

I've heard people complain about cheap planar magnetic headphones having crackling noises or just having bad QC issues and breaking.

planar crinkle is a common issue basically around most of the spectrum it;s a matter of air pressure crinkling the driver it's common and an ccepted caveat of planar not really a thing you hear unless your adjusting the headphone. hifiman QC has gotten much better over the years through their numerous revisions. the yoke doesn't break anymore  especially if you get the 400i(2020) instead of the 4xx. the 4xx will occasionally fall apart easy fix but sucks to have to deal with. Bass is very different from dynamic drivers. very fast can reach deeper more reliably and accurately ( planar bass). and again depending on amp pairing the vocals cane very smooth and awesome. but if you do like a rich and bassy I would look at fidelios instead as well

2 minutes ago, rice guru said:

planar crinkle is a common issue basically around most of the spectrum it;s a matter of air pressure crinkling the driver it's common and an ccepted caveat of planar not really a thing you hear unless your adjusting the headphone. hifiman QC has gotten much better over the years through their numerous revisions. the yoke doesn't break anymore  especially if you get the 400i(2020) instead of the 4xx. the 4xx will occasionally fall apart easy fix but sucks to have to deal with. 

Thanks for the correction! So the newer batches has gotten better from drop.com?

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

4 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

Thanks for the correction! So the newer batches has gotten better from drop.com?

I believe so I haven;t seen many complaints lately. and hifiman support is usally pretty good. I have a newr ish batch from early 2019 still runnning really great. I still honestly wouldnt get them anymore. hifiman is set to release a revise 400i called the 400se using new driver tech from much more higher end hifiman headphones and the 400i 2020 edition that exists now has a much better headband which is more dirable and has ebtter weight distribution and padding than the previous headband designs and sometimes ell for much cheaper than the 4xx. the 4xx at full price is pretty pointless IMHO

6 minutes ago, rice guru said:

sub $100

well there's nothing sub 100$ among those here ... I'm in canada and all of them are between 200$ and 300$ with shipping and taxes ... The less expensive planar I could find that would be interesting are the T50RP/T20RP at 199$ free shipping

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

Just now, Dr0y said:

well there's nothing sub 100$ among those here ... I'm in canada and all of them are between 200$ and 300$ with shipping and taxes ... The less expensive planar I could find that would be interesting are the T50RP/T20RP at 199$ free shipping

Yeah. Then the X2's might fit you perfectly considering you thought so as well.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

5 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

oops I missclicked and didnt notice I meant to say sub $200. im also in canada and watch heapdhone pricing the he 400i sometimes gets near $200 CAD much better deal than the 4xx as you dont have to pay for shipping if from amazon or import fees. the t50 rp  and t20 rp need a decent amp to power them and the t50 rp kinda sucks if not modded. I would also aggree to stick to the fidelios. dont get me wrong I aso love fidelios myself. and are one fo the headphones that got me to start looking beyond my akg k240 that I ran for years. and if you dont have at least a $100 USD amp its difficult for me to reccoment the 4xx or 400i anyway. Ive had the argument many times whether it needs the power or not already. I think it does and many in the community say it does but some will say no its fine on a phone Im just not comofrtable reccomending it without the amp anyway

So there's those on amazon ...

https://www.amazon.ca/Philips-X2HR-Fidelio-Headphone-Black/dp/B06ZZXKZ25/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=fidelio&qid=1612627149&sr=8-2

Then I've seen that the dt770pro are back in stock for about the same price. 

https://www.amazon.ca/beyerdynamic-Headphone-frequencies-differentiated-monitoring/dp/B0778C9HQ4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1DEX288FT8H1T&dchild=1&keywords=dt770%2Bpro%2B250%2Bohm&qid=1612627184&sprefix=dt770%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-1&th=1

Why is there so much damn interesting headphones that I want to try ... I just wish I could listen to some of them locally but even without the pandemic, there's nowhere near where I live that have those headphones stock ... it's only things like beats, bose and sony bluetooth

Also yes I kinda have a amp ... it's a speaker amp with a headphone jack that feels powerful enough ... but if it's not enough I will check out for an amp in the future. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

2 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

So there's those on amazon ...

https://www.amazon.ca/Philips-X2HR-Fidelio-Headphone-Black/dp/B06ZZXKZ25/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=fidelio&qid=1612627149&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.ca/beyerdynamic-Headphone-frequencies-differentiated-monitoring/dp/B0778C9HQ4/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1DEX288FT8H1T&dchild=1&keywords=dt770%2Bpro%2B250%2Bohm&qid=1612627184&sprefix=dt770%2Caps%2C165&sr=8-1&th=1

Why is there so much damn interesting headphones that I want to try ... I just wish I could listen to some of them locally but even without the pandemic, there's nowhere near where I live that have those headphones stock ... it's only things like beats, bose and sony bluetooth

Also yes I kinda have a amp ... it's a speaker amp with a headphone jack that feels powerful enough ... but if it's not enough I will check out for an amp in the future. 

if you want to run a speaker amp a high impedance headphone like the 250 ohm 770 is a really decent headphone to run off the as it is not very sensitive and shouldnt be affected too much by noise or potential hiss from the speaker amp. and is the widest sounding closed back at this price point it's excellent and I might get a pair myself sometime this year. 

1 hour ago, Dr0y said:

770 pro is not a very fun headphone to listen to. Too closed and analytical for me. They have good sound quality. Not just the best for music or games. 

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

31 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

770 pro is not a very fun headphone to listen to. Too closed and analytical for me. They have good sound quality. Not just the best for music or games. 

Well it's a v-shaped headphone and I think it's about the sound signature that I like ... I'm not a bass head but I do like some ... I also like when highs are clear but no sibilance allowed ... I feel that a closed back would be better for use when my gf is sleeping even tho she said she doesn't mind ...

I want my headphone to sound good with that kind of music

as much as with electronic and metal or jazz ... I feel that the dt770pro would do well and same for the fidelio x2hr ... but the fact that the dt770pro are closed back I think is the winning factor there for now ... will try open back next time or maybe planar. 

Thanx for all the input and sorry to have hijacked your review like that. 

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

25 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

Well it's a v-shaped headphone and I think it's about the sound signature that I like ... I'm not a bass head but I do like some ... I also like when highs are clear but no sibilance allowed ... I feel that a closed back would be better for use when my gf is sleeping even tho she said she doesn't mind ...

I want my headphone to sound good with that kind of music

as much as with electronic and metal or jazz ... I feel that the dt770pro would do well and same for the fidelio x2hr ... but the fact that the dt770pro are closed back I think is the winning factor there for now ... will try open back next time or maybe planar. 

Thanx for all the input and sorry to have hijacked your review like that. 

The 250 ohm 770 is surprisingly not too v shaped. It has strong bass when the song demands it. The treble is detailed and analytical. The 80 ohm is another story and one I generally don't recommend anymore. 

8 minutes ago, rice guru said:

The 250 ohm 770 is surprisingly not too v shaped. It has strong bass when the song demands it. The treble is detailed and analytical. The 80 ohm is another story and one I generally don't recommend anymore. 

Well it seems it will suit me well ... also the amp I have have a 6 band EQ and a bass boost button so I can always use that if I need to ... but it's a last resort thing honestly ... I dislike those feature most of the time ...

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

11 minutes ago, rice guru said:

dt770pro

Just gonna point out, the pads on these are very shallow and might be uncomfortable for medium to bigger ears.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

1 minute ago, Dr0y said:

Well it seems it will suit me well ... also the amp I have have a 6 band EQ and a bass boost button so I can always use that if I need to ... but it's a last resort thing honestly ... I dislike those feature most of the time ...

Open back is gonna be the winner imho.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

6 minutes ago, Tigerleon said:

Open back is gonna be the winner imho.

I know but I'm afraid that it might wake my gf when she's sleeping and I have to spend the night up

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd

12 minutes ago, Dr0y said:

I know but I'm afraid that it might wake my gf when she's sleeping and I have to spend the night up

Ah. That makes sense. Well open backs are pretty good at leaking sound. Although it is not as bad as you'd think. If you are in the same room, then she'll hear. If not then it is fine.

My PC specs & audio gear

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

VR > Valve index kit

• 1 month later...

@Tigerleon So i bought them yesterday ... should arrive within two weeks ... thanx for all the help from you and @rice guru ...

I'm pretty sure I'm not done with headphones as my friend just got the dt770pro and I'll be able to listen to them in about 1 or 2 months ... maybe I'll like them and get one pair too at some point.

I9 10850K

MSI Z490 Tomahawk

WB Black SN750 NVMe ssd