What CPU temperature should be the maximum allowed on laptops?

Muhlis

I'm going to make a guide regarding how can we change the CPU factory default maximum temperature (for example, my laptop CPU has a 70℃ maximum, it just throttles when it reaches that). In the guide, I use Throttlestop to change Prochot to 85-95.

I know the CPUs can work up to 100℃ "safely", as stated by Intel and AMD. But for laptops maybe it's a bit risky. What temperature should be the maximum I can suggest on the guide? 85 maybe?

Thanks.

It is common to hear about laptop cpu around 100c, so it should be just fine.

I don't see the difference in the safety limit between both platform.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

The maximum temperatures for a given processor are stated in its specifications. As far as i know, it's not allways the same. You also can run into stability issue different from sample to sample. That's why automatic tools are ussually somewhat conservative in this regard. Laptop chips are preety different from desktop one's, tweeked for lower TDP, because thermal solutions is more restricted and because user can literally feel the heat they're outputing.

If you are serious about that idea you have hips of work to do. Some laptop bios's won't allow you to customize fan speed even, not to mention to set higher throtle point.

There may be a workaround but i don't see it working universally without issues.

Manufacturer maximum: per CPU spec

My maximum: what ever keeps chassis temp down without sacrifing too much. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

as someone who used the laptop keyboard of a laptop that had a tendency to hit 95° i suggest you force it to throttle earlier since my finger tips ended up getting hurt from touching the hot keyboard for a long time.

or get a seperate keyboard and plug it in your laptop if this is an issue.

i'd suggest keeping it under 85, unless you lose a lot of preformance by doing so. (also if it's older and you've used it in places like your bed, maybe removing dust would help too)

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

34 minutes ago, Muhlis Gursoy said:

I know the CPUs can work up to 100℃ "safely", as stated by Intel and AMD. But for laptops maybe it's a bit risky.

Laptops are designed to run safely at whatever maximum temperature the manufacturer set. Going any higher than that introduces a significant risk of permanent damage to your machine. The cpu itself is going to be fine but you can't know how the heat it's producing affects the components around it. If a manufacturer set it to 70°, well below the theoretical maximum spec, there's almost certainly a very good reason; manufacturers typically keep the threshold as high as possible so they can save money and volume on the heatsink.

26 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

It is common to hear about laptop cpu around 100c, so it should be just fine.

Those laptops are set to reach that temperature by the manufacturer and may have a completely different cooling system and layout from other laptops.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

-> Moved to Cooling

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv