How much of a damage can ripping the CPU out of socket do?

To cut the long story short, I accidentally ripped out my CPU (Ryzen 7 2700X) out of its socket (AsRock AB350 Pro4) without any visible damage to both CPU and the socket. It went back as usual, if we won't mention that the socket is now unable to keep the CPU under pressure. I put it all together and PC launched with a few setbacks. The CPU now can handle fewer tasks at a time than before, or at least it can't handle something really power-consuming. For example, a game like Battlefront II (2017) was taking from 5% to 15% of CPU usage before the accident during intense moments, but now it takes it all with whopping 95% at the start, making comfortable gaming impossible. Moreover, it can now only read half of RAM, making 7,95Gb from 16 (Kingston HyperX 2666Mhz 2x8Gb). What should I do? Is there a solution to this? Or should I just buy some new CPU and leave it at that? 

UPD: I decided to replace some things because my acquaintance allowed it to happen for a reasonable price, so... Now the PC has a new motherboard (MSI X470 GAMING PLUS MAX) and a new single piece of RAM (G.Skill SNIPER X 16Gb 3600Mhz) which is now the only one in the system because CPU cannot figure more than 1 slot of RAM and new motherboard can now apply needed pressure to the CPU, because the latest one got its mechanism severely weakened if not made useless at all. It didn't help the situation but only increased the CPU average temperature (from 40 to 65 before the accident and 50-75 at the moment).

4 minutes ago, Amias said:

You f****ed likely both your CPU and socket. You've damaged pins and likely the ability for proper cooling.

You likely need a new Motherboard and CPU. Congratulations that was an expensive mistake to make.

Yeah, that's... Just about what I thought :c

if i may ask, how in the world did you rip out the cpu from the socket??

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

1 minute ago, flashiling said:

if i may ask, how in the world did you rip out the cpu from the socket??

Oops, forgot to mention that... I was trying to change thermal compound and it was too late, when I realized that the CPU got stuck to the radiator. I just pulled a bit harder and a second later I found myself with the radiator and the CPU stuck to it in my hand.

1 minute ago, Neo5Politan said:

Oops, forgot to mention that... I was trying to change thermal compound and it was too late, when I realized that the CPU got stuck to the radiator. I just pulled a bit harder and a second later I found myself with the radiator and the CPU stuck to it in my hand.

Take a photo of the socket and CPU pins for us. And we'll be able to tell you quite quickly how screwed you are.

9 minutes ago, Amias said:

Take a photo of the socket and CPU pins for us. And we'll be able to tell you quite quickly how screwed you are.

They look just as they did beforehand. I for sure would've noticed any bent pins or anything else. I'm still using the same MB and CPU, I'm technically typing from that PC right now. All the affect it took was lack of performance

On AM4, not much actually as it often happens as thermal paste suction sticks CPU on the heatsink and people pull it out of the socket with the cooler. AM4 socket design basically pinches CPU contact pins inside the socket to hold the CPU.

With Intel sockets on the other hand, of you rip it out, it means you ripped whole retention bracket from the motherboard. I've actually never seen or heard of such a thing happening. Ever.

Well it happened to me 1 time, i'm amaze ryzen cpu are easy to unplug.

Maybe it's for a good reason, if it sticks to much, in the event like this owner can pull too much that damages the socket.

If there's no visible damage to the pins it should be ok.

Still running that cpu for a year now.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

I've experienced this as well, a long time ago.

If there's no physical damage to the CPU or the socket, there's no reason to replace the CPU.

45 minutes ago, Neo5Politan said:

The CPU now can handle fewer tasks at a time than before,

That either has a different reason, or it's in your head and there's actually no difference.

5 minutes ago, Neo5Politan said:

Well I guess it's time to start saving up for new CPU 

You better not. The CPU is probably fine.

Edit: if there are pins that don't quite make good contact with the socket (which may be why not all RAM is detected) just take out the CPU and carefully reinstall it. If that doesn't fix it, do it again. Maybe even 2 more times. Just reseating things and making sure it's all properly in place (a couple times) often fixes a lot. 

Just now, akio123008 said:

I've experienced this as well, a long time ago.

If there's no physical damage to the CPU or the socket, there's no reason to replace the CPU.

That either has a different reason, or it's in your head and there's actually no difference.

You better not. The CPU is probably fine.

Oh I would've liked it to be that way. But I distinctly remember how my PC reacted to intense gaming, with stable frames and being relatively cool, while now it can't even handle a 3 year-old title, dropping frames every now and then or even going into an endless restart cycle when it feels like it

Agree - try a few reseats

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 hour ago, Neo5Politan said:

I was trying to change thermal compound and it was too late, when I realized that the CPU got stuck to the radiator. I just pulled a bit harder and a second later I found myself with the radiator and the CPU stuck to it in my hand

Hey @Neo5Politan this actually happens to people quite often (PGA CPU's).

Next time, try to heat your CPU (and TIM) up before disassembling your cooling solution as heat should make the CPU unstick from the cooler much more quickly.

3 minutes ago, gal-m said:

Hey @Neo5Politan this actually happens to people quite often (PGA CPU's).

Next time, try to heat your CPU (and TIM) up before disassembling your cooling solution as heat should make the CPU unstick from the cooler much more quickly.

Now that's some useful advice right there, thank you

17 minutes ago, Neo5Politan said:

Now that's some useful advice

@Neo5Politan yep. CPU's that have been installed for a long time tend get stuck to coolers ALL the time, because the thermal paste hardens significantly over time.

The problem is worsened, as mentioned by other people, due to the way the AM4 socket works, as it just pinches the pins together, so there's actually nothing really holding the "top part" of the CPU firmly in place. 

If you've got bent pins you could try to straighten them out using the "credit card method", which means just running down each row with a credit card in both directions - use this method at your own risk though, don't want to be held responsible for any mishaps, as the success of this can obviously vary quite a lot (but it should be one of the easiest).

just a quick EDIT: of course there are also way better methods, like the "pen method" and of course, all of these depend on the density of the pins etc.

16 minutes ago, gal-m said:

@Neo5Politan yep. CPU's that have been installed for a long time tend get stuck to coolers ALL the time, because the thermal paste hardens significantly over time.

The problem is worsened, as mentioned by other people, due to the way the AM4 socket works, as it just pinches the pins together, so there's actually nothing really holding the "top part" of the CPU firmly in place. 

If you've got bent pins you could try to straighten them out using the "credit card method", which means just running down each row with a credit card in both directions - use this method at your own risk though, don't want to be held responsible for any mishaps, as the success of this can obviously vary quite a lot (but it should be one of the easiest).

just a quick EDIT: of course there are also way better methods, like the "pen method" and of course, all of these depend on the density of the pins etc.

I love you man, thanks a bunch

Oof. All you gotta do to remove a cooler from an AMD cpu is twist the cooler or water block back and forth a couple of times and it will release the bond. You don't have to "heat up" the cpu for this procedure, Although it may help a tad. 

The pins slide into V shaped connectors in the socket. Sometimes a reseat or two like @Tristerinmentioned will help the pins make better contact. No different than an Intel chip, sometimes LGA'/PGA  just needs a good reseating and all is good. 

GLHF!

I've heard a good way to remove coolers from CPUs without tugging too much on the socket is to twist and slide so the compound breaks up in the twist and you aren't fighting the vacuum by pulling.

Damage to the CPU doesn't result in higher CPU usage in task manager. If you actually damaged the CPU then it would either not work at all, or crash.

CPUs aren't like mechanical things where they can get damaged but still work at reduced effectiveness.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

Damage to the CPU doesn't result in higher CPU usage in task manager. If you actually damaged the CPU then it would either not work at all, or crash.

CPUs aren't like mechanical things where they can get damaged but still work at reduced effectiveness.

Well compromising your cooling would drastically reduce your CPU's performance as it'll be throttling all the time.

Damaging certain pins will knock out memory channels and other interface points.

So yes, you can damage your CPU and cause it to perform worst. A CPU isn't a hunk of silicon, it's a complex system of circuits, interfaces, connections and silicon. 

25 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

All you gotta do to remove a cooler from an AMD cpu is twist the cooler or water block

While this suggestion helps @ShrimpBrime it also depends on the age of the thermal paste (and of course CPU).

I help a lot of my friends out with computer related maintenance and am in most cases dealing with rather older computers and of course older AMD CPU's - we're talking at least 8 years old on average. Thus, I have personally found that twisting an old and cold CPU doesn't help that much and will result in forceful separation, but heating the CPU up AND also twisting sure does.

In fact, I have a funny story here. One of my friends ripped her CPU out of the socket together with the cooler, much like the issue @Neo5Politan is dealing with and she actually decided to pry the CPU from the heatsink with a screwdriver, because of how glued on it was. The story does in fact have a happy ending as I was able to straighten using the "pen method".

20 minutes ago, LAwLz said:

CPUs aren't like mechanical things where they can get damaged but still work at reduced effectiveness

Agreed. CPU's either work (calculate), or don't. It's that simple

HOWEVER degradation of silicon IS in fact an issue that could result in instability, due to high voltages for overclocking - but that happens over a long period of time (for 24/7 OC) and is not the topic of this discussion.

12 minutes ago, Amias said:

Well compromising your cooling would drastically reduce your CPU's performance as it'll be throttling all the time.

Yes but that's not what we are talking about in this thread. If you fuck up the heat-spreader on the CPU it might make it run hotter and throttle, but that's not something that happens from ripping it out of the socket like what OP is asking about.

14 minutes ago, Amias said:

Damaging certain pins will knock out memory channels and other interface points.

1) I have never seen or heard that happening so I would not be so sure saying it does act that way.

2) That would not be what OP is talking about. Losing a memory channel or some IO does not cause the CPU usage reported by task manager to go up during the same workload.

If the pins aren't damaged, the CPU should be fine.

AMD really needs to do something like Intel's retention plate. The physical AM4 socket is pretty horrible in my opinion.

For next time, heat the CPU up with something like Prime95 then slowly twist without pulling. That's what I did and it worked fine with the Wraith Prism's stock thermal paste (which is known to be sticky).

Your CPU is hopefully fine though, maybe try reseating it a few times like has been previously mentioned?

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1