Looking for soldering iron recommendation

Andy Yu

I am super new to this field and I'm mainly using this for soldering my keyboards. I was looking at TS80P but my friend said it is better to get a soldering station at this price point so I want to ask this community for recommendation.

For $7 more, this is the one I have, it’s very nice and has a lot of features

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07S4GPM66/

As Someone with the username “</TheCoder2019_”, my coding skills are atrocious.

Here are my specs:

Spoiler

MSI PRO-VLH H310M

Intel Core i3-8100 (Thanks, @Schnoz!)

GTX 1060 OC 3GB or Intel UHD 630

16GB (2x8) Cosair Vengeance LPX CL16 - 2400MHz

GAMDIAS Argus M1

An old friend of mine - Intel stock cooler (temps through the roof like 60 C under load)

Linux Apps you NEED!

Spoiler

tmux

dhcpd

git

Hi! I love RGB! Who doesn't? Karens that don't have colorful lights on their Facebook page

3 hours ago, James Evens said:

What about the T12 soldering station?

"Lower" performance but similiar price would be a good old Hakko 888D (original, not fake).

Agreed, KSGER T12 is a wonderful option and better than trying to use a portable iron as a desktop one.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

4 hours ago, James Evens said:

What about the T12 soldering station?

"Lower" performance but similiar price would be a good old Hakko 888D (original, not fake).

I would definitely look into these ones thank you

1 hour ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Agreed, KSGER T12 is a wonderful option and better than trying to use a portable iron as a desktop one.

Is it bad using portable iron, what is the benefit of solder station.

1 hour ago, James Evens said:

It is compatible with Hakko T12 tips meaning easier to buy and cheaper. I think you can even replace the iron with a genuine Hakko handle (not needed).

Also don't underestimate ergonomics when you are soldering a entire keyboard at once.

Another downside of the TS80p is that it uses a USB-C cable which is great for mobile use but beside the question of the strain relief most/nearly all USB-C aren't heat resistance.  Ideally you would want a light weight, highly flexible silicone wire which can withstand the temperatures in case you accidentally touch the cable.

I ended up buying Hakko 888D, it should be a good investment!

4 hours ago, Andy Yu said:

I ended up buying Hakko 888D, it should be a good investment!

Better choice than the one you linked in the first post, that style of cordless is next to useless. crap run time, crap heat range 30w wont even melt most lead free solder (which I'd recommend running away from to begin with)

I replaced my last machine with a YIHUA 8786D-I (I don't even know what it was machine was 30 years old) rework gun is incredibly useful even if you're not working with smd. 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

• 3 weeks later...

Stuff based on the T12 tips is definitely a step up from the 888D, but if you're going to shell out for an FX951, I'd probably just shell out a few extra bucks for a used Metcal, which has about the best thermal regulation of any iron on the market. Only thing I hate about the Metcal is that if you're working on really sensitive receivers, the 13.56 MHz radiation can make measurements slightly more difficult, but unless you're working with very high impedance circuits with high gain, then it's probably not an issue.

That said, the 888D is still a very good iron for most things and the tips last a pretty long time.

On 2/5/2021 at 7:47 PM, it_dont_work said:

YIHUA 

I ordered one of these a few years ago and the heat gun lasted less than a month.. soldering portion works fine tho..

It doesn't have temperature control but my Antex 30w hasn't let me down in over 10 years of regular use, changing bits gives it plenty of flexibility. I wouldn't use anything else.

Variable temperature isn't important, what matters is temperature regulation and how fast the feedback loop is. The FX-888D is similar to the way all the old irons did it- a ceramic heating element with some form of temperature sensing in it, with the tip slid over the top. The problem with this system is that the iron is regulating the temperature of the inside of the heating element, not the actual tip. So while the 888D makes it look like it's always at a certain temperature, the temperature of the tip itself changes dramatically if you try to solder something with a lot of thermal mass (like a ground plane). 

The T12 tip aims to improve this by integrating the heating element into the tip. This works better since they can get the thermal interface between the heating element and the tip to be a lot faster. As a result, the thermal regulation is quite a bit better.

Metcal was the first to come out with a soldering station that uses the curie point of the tip to control the temperature, and it's a much better system. The moment the tip cools down, it starts being heated again by the induction heater. As such, thermal regulation is better than for the T12 tips by a noticeable amount.

Metcal's patents have since expired, so now competing stations are offered by Thermaltronics. Additionally, the Hakko FX-100 uses the same technology (though I don't know if the tips are interchangeable with the Metcals).

There are 3 temperatures available in Metcal tips, and the standard series is good for 99% of what you'll do. Tight thermal regulation pretty much mitigates the need to change temperature, because when you're changing temperature on a traditional iron, what you're really trying to do is control how much heat is being put into the workpiece. The RF heating system used in the Metcal / Thermaltronics / Hakko FX-100 pretty much does this automatically.

On 2/25/2021 at 6:04 AM, Jameszy said:

I ordered one of these a few years ago and the heat gun lasted less than a month.. soldering portion works fine tho..

I'll keep that in mind, for that it is it was pretty cheap, so it failing wouldn't surprise me too much 

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

On 2/26/2021 at 12:23 AM, it_dont_work said:

I'll keep that in mind, for that it is it was pretty cheap, so it failing wouldn't surprise me too much 

oh dude, it was dirt cheap... i got it for like $50 because of some sale.... I cant even find anything decent for that little anymore.. plus i got 10 tips with the thing for $5.. i hope the soldering side never breaks..