Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I have 2 physical HDD 1 has Garuda Linux (Arch based) another one has Windows 10 when I boot into grub menu.. I can't see windows

9 minutes ago, Bharath1910 said:

I have 2 physical HDD 1 has Garuda Linux (Arch based) another one has Windows 10 when I boot into grub menu.. I can't see windows

What happens if you change the boot order in bios to boot to the HDD containing windows?

Attention is what makes life meaningful.

Also, please quote me for聽a reply. 馃檪

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please聽馃え

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

What is scaling and how does it work?Asus PB287Q unboxing!Console alternatives :DWatch Netflix with Kodi on Arch Linux Sharing folders over the internet using SSH Beginner's Guide To LTT (by iamdarkyoshi)

Sauron'stm Product Scores:

Spoiler

Just a list of my personal scores for some products, in no particular order, with brief comments. I just got the idea to do them so they aren't many for now :)

Don't take these as complete reviews or final truths - they are just my personal impressions on products I may or may not have used, summed up in a couple of sentences and a rough score. All scores take into account the unit's price and time of release, heavily so, therefore don't expect absolute performance to be reflected here.

-Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - [8/10]

Spoiler

A durable and reliable machine that is relatively lightweight, has all the hardware it needs to never feel sluggish and has a great IPS matte screen. Downsides are mostly due to its age, most notably the screen resolution of 1366x768 and usb 2.0 ports.

-Apple Macbook (2015) - [Garbage -/10]

Spoiler

From my perspective, this product has no redeeming factors given its price and the competition. It is underpowered, overpriced, impractical due to its single port and is made redundant even by Apple's own iPad pro line.

-OnePlus X - [7/10]

Spoiler

A good phone for the price. It does everything I (and most people) need without being sluggish and has no particularly bad flaws. The lack of recent software updates and relatively barebones feature kit (most notably the lack of 5GHz wifi, biometric sensors and backlight for the capacitive buttons) prevent it from being exceptional.

-Microsoft Surface Book 2 - [Garbage - -/10]

Spoiler

Overpriced and rushed, offers nothing notable compared to the competition, doesn't come with an adequate charger despite the premium price. Worse than the Macbook for not even offering the small plus sides of having macOS. Buy a Razer Blade if you want high performance in a (relatively) light package.

-Intel Core i7 2600/k - [9/10]

Spoiler

Quite possibly Intel's best product launch ever. It had all the bleeding edge features of the time, it came with a very significant performance improvement over its predecessor and it had a soldered heatspreader, allowing for efficient cooling and great overclocking. Even the "locked" version could be overclocked through the multiplier within (quite reasonable) limits.

-Apple iPad Pro - [5/10]

Spoiler

A pretty good product, sunk by its price (plus the extra cost of the physical keyboard and the pencil). Buy it if you don't mind the Apple tax and are looking for a very light office machine with an excellent digitizer. Particularly good for rich students. Bad for cheap tinkerers like myself.

Just now, AnirbanG007 said:

What happens if you change the boot order in bios to boot to the HDD containing windows?

It just boots up windows without the GRUB menu

well its not much of surprise because they don't share聽a bootloader partition

if it was useful give it a like :)聽btw if your into linux pay a visit here聽 and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here聽聽

2 hours ago, mahyar said:

well its not much of surprise because they don't share聽a bootloader partition

This has nothing to do with the problem, grub can load an OS from any disk and partition (if it is a sensible one; it might not do something like booting a DOS-based OS from an extended partition etc.).

3 hours ago, Bharath1910 said:

It is very overwhelming for me... but thanks I will try to understand it

Post聽 the output of "sudo lsblk" and "sudo blkid" here, that way we can help.

The page can be daunting as it has loads of information out of which not all is relevant to you. To summarize the process is roughly:

1. install os-prober (it is not installed per default in Arch),
  2. mount your windows partition and then
  3. run grub-mkconfig (as outlined earlier on that page).

With the help of above commands, people can probably give you the exact command needed to enable grub detecting Windows.

(in case you ever re-run grub-mkconfig, you need to remount the Windows partition less grub-mkconfig will overwrite the configuration without Windows entries)

8 hours ago, Bharath1910 said:

It is very overwhelming for me... but thanks I will try to understand it

All you have to do is install os-prober:

sudo pacman -S os-prober

Then mount the Windows partitions, and run:聽

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

3 hours ago, gardotd426 said:

sudo pacman -S os-prober

I can't mount those drives.. bcz it is NTFS
and it says unmounted and no option to mount it

Screenshot__2.png

sudo pacman -S os-prober

Generating grub configuration file ...
Found theme: /usr/share/grub/themes/garuda/theme.txt
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-linux-tkg-bmq
Found initrd image: /boot/intel-ucode.img /boot/initramfs-linux-tkg-bmq.img
Found fallback initrd image(s) in /boot: initramfs-linux-tkg-bmq-fallback.img
Detecting snapshots ...
Info: Separate boot partition not detected 
Found snapshot: 2021-02-05 09:06:19 | timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-02-05_09-06-19/@
Found snapshot: 2021-02-04 19:55:54 | timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-02-04_19-55-54/@
Found snapshot: 2021-02-04 18:50:58 | timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-02-04_18-50-58/@
Found snapshot: 2021-02-04 18:42:36 | timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-02-04_18-42-36/@
Found snapshot: 2021-02-04 18:31:03 | timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-02-04_18-31-03/@
Found snapshot: 2021-02-04 15:37:06 | timeshift-btrfs/snapshots/2021-02-04_15-37-06/@
Found 6 snapshot(s)
Found memtest86+ image: /boot/memtest86+/memtest.bin
done

I got this after running commands given by you聽

sudo pacman -S os-prober

8 hours ago, Wild Penquin said:

This has nothing to do with the problem, grub can load an OS from any disk and partition (if it is a sensible one; it might not do something like booting a DOS-based OS from an extended partition etc.).

The page can be daunting as it has loads of information out of which not all is relevant to you. To summarize the process is roughly:

With the help of above commands, people can probably give you the exact command needed to enable grub detecting Windows.

(in case you ever re-run grub-mkconfig, you need to remount the Windows partition less grub-mkconfig will overwrite the configuration without Windows entries)

I managed to mount those drives..
after running the command I got

Screenshot__3.png

Screenshot_fish _home_bharath_1.png

You need to install ntfs-3g with

sudo pacman -S ntfs-3g

And are you sure you had them all successfully mounted when you ran grub-mkconfig? Because what you should get is something like this, note "Found Windows Boot Manager" on there:

Screenshot_20210205_052452.png

23 hours ago, Bharath1910 said:

... I can't see windows

ntfs-3g聽 is the first thing to make sure is installed.聽

Garuda is Arch-based?聽 Devs were negligent, IMHO.

14 hours ago, gardotd426 said:

sudo pacman -S os-prober

4 hours ago, gardotd426 said:

You need to install ntfs-3g with

sudo pacman -S ntfs-3g

And are you sure you had them all successfully mounted when you ran grub-mkconfig? Because what you should get is something like this, note "Found Windows Boot Manager" on there:

Screenshot_20210205_052452.png

33 minutes ago, TorC said:

ntfs-3g聽 is the first thing to make sure is installed.聽

Garuda is Arch-based?聽 Devs were negligent, IMHO.

19 hours ago, Wild Penquin said:

2021-02-05 20-34-44.mkv

Update: I uninstalled the KDE version of Garuda and installed GNOME version of Garuda

now when I ran聽

sudo pacman -S os-prober

I got this error

image.png

You already have os-prober, then. Garuda apparently uses a forked grub with a forked os-prober.聽

Just out of curiosity, what's the output of

efibootmgr

?

8 minutes ago, gardotd426 said:

You already have os-prober, then. Garuda apparently uses a forked grub with a forked os-prober.聽

efibootmgr

?

image.thumb.png.1dea36c03ffac91b0afd2273a7e8d4bd.png

9 minutes ago, gardotd426 said:

efibootmgr

?

Literally didn't understood the first line
but is there any fix for this?
or crying is the only last option?

Yeah something weird is going on. It looks like your Windows install isn't using UEFI.聽

See:

Screenshot_20210205_115956.thumb.png.b9b15ea7a667986a671b5a58b8beb31c.png

I mean you only need one entry, mine has two for a different reason, but yeah efibootmgr should show all EFI bootloaders on the system (and doesn't use os-prober), and yours isn't showing Windows.聽

1 minute ago, gardotd426 said:

Yeah something weird is going on. It looks like your Windows install isn't using UEFI.聽

See:

Screenshot_20210205_115956.thumb.png.b9b15ea7a667986a671b5a58b8beb31c.png

So I need to install Garuda Linux without UEFI?
am I right?

1 minute ago, gardotd426 said:

I mean you only need one entry, mine has two for a different reason, but yeah efibootmgr should show all EFI bootloaders on the system (and doesn't use os-prober), and yours isn't showing Windows.聽

So If I install this OS without UEFI
it will work right?

No, you need to be using UEFI. Windows isn't using UEFI, and it needs to be. You would need to reinstall Windows and use UEFI.聽

Or, you could install refind and use refind instead of grub as your bootloader, and see if that detects Windows. If it doesn't then you're definitely not using UEFI for Windows.聽