Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Like I said, depends on how you define it.  All of the individual Unix commands are separately written though.  Sudo is going to be part of several “bundles”

uhh what? That's not how it works dude. Yes, all the individual Unix commands are separately written. Most of them are not apps, they are terminal only. Usually when you say something is an "app", it's a tangible thing that you toss around and run from Finder and the like, but sudo just sits in your /usr/bin folder, being there for anything that needs it. Also it has nothing to do with the GUI.

MacBookPro11,5 - 2.5GHz Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2TB OWC Aura Pro X2 SSD

macOS 10.14.6, Windows 10 1703, and Arch Linux

 

I will never downgrade to Catalina.

I will never update Windows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, LoganDark said:

uhh what? That's not how it works dude. Yes, all the individual Unix commands are separately written. Most of them are not apps, they are terminal only. Usually when you say something is an "app", it's a tangible thing that you toss around and run from Finder and the like, but sudo just sits in your /usr/bin folder, being there for anything that needs it. Also it has nothing to do with the GUI.

Again definitions.  “App” has in some circles come to mean “any program” sort of.  There is an argument tha sudo is not an app, but also an argument that it is if the definition is loose enough.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Again definitions.  “App” has in some circles come to mean “any program” sort of.  There is an argument tha sudo is not an app, but also an argument that it is if the definition is loose enough.

sudo most definitely is an App, you can uninstall it from any Linux distro you like. It is complied and included with the operating system, here Mac OS, like any other OS utility application. It's no less of an application than ping is or dig/nslookup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, leadeater said:

sudo most definitely is an App, you can uninstall it from any Linux distro you like. It is complied and included with the operating system, here Mac OS, like any other OS utility application. It's no less of an application than ping is or dig/nslookup.

And there you go.  Runs both ways.  Me I’m an old fart.  “Apps” are those things you download from a “store” for your phone (all of which seem to have slop chest problems.  There’s a term that may be useful in attacking app stores.  It’s associated with chattel slavery.  Was what the British navy used).   Doesn’t mean it’s the best one.  It’s just an association my brain makes.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/13/2021 at 3:42 PM, leadeater said:

sudo most definitely is an App, you can uninstall it from any Linux distro you like. It is complied and included with the operating system, here Mac OS, like any other OS utility application. It's no less of an application than ping is or dig/nslookup.

All of those are applications, but none of them are "App"s 🙂

MacBookPro11,5 - 2.5GHz Core i7, 16GB RAM, 2TB OWC Aura Pro X2 SSD

macOS 10.14.6, Windows 10 1703, and Arch Linux

 

I will never downgrade to Catalina.

I will never update Windows.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LoganDark said:

All of those are applications, but none of them are "App"s 🙂

App is literally short hand for Application because people don't like saying 'Application'. There is no difference at all, GUI and user interactivity is not a 'requirement' to call it an App nor an Application.

 

sudo is an App, sudo is also an Application (because they are not different things).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×