Sudo bug also found to affect macOS

1 minute ago, Bombastinator said:

Like I said, depends on how you define it.  All of the individual Unix commands are separately written though.  Sudo is going to be part of several “bundles”

uhh what? That's not how it works dude. Yes, all the individual Unix commands are separately written. Most of them are not apps, they are terminal only. Usually when you say something is an "app", it's a tangible thing that you toss around and run from Finder and the like, but sudo just sits in your /usr/bin folder, being there for anything that needs it. Also it has nothing to do with the GUI.

2 minutes ago, LoganDark said:

uhh what? That's not how it works dude. Yes, all the individual Unix commands are separately written. Most of them are not apps, they are terminal only. Usually when you say something is an "app", it's a tangible thing that you toss around and run from Finder and the like, but sudo just sits in your /usr/bin folder, being there for anything that needs it. Also it has nothing to do with the GUI.

Again definitions.  “App” has in some circles come to mean “any program” sort of.  There is an argument tha sudo is not an app, but also an argument that it is if the definition is loose enough.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

3 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Again definitions.  “App” has in some circles come to mean “any program” sort of.  There is an argument tha sudo is not an app, but also an argument that it is if the definition is loose enough.

sudo most definitely is an App, you can uninstall it from any Linux distro you like. It is complied and included with the operating system, here Mac OS, like any other OS utility application. It's no less of an application than ping is or dig/nslookup.

44 minutes ago, leadeater said:

sudo most definitely is an App, you can uninstall it from any Linux distro you like. It is complied and included with the operating system, here Mac OS, like any other OS utility application. It's no less of an application than ping is or dig/nslookup.

And there you go.  Runs both ways.  Me I’m an old fart.  “Apps” are those things you download from a “store” for your phone (all of which seem to have slop chest problems.  There’s a term that may be useful in attacking app stores.  It’s associated with chattel slavery.  Was what the British navy used).   Doesn’t mean it’s the best one.  It’s just an association my brain makes.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 2/13/2021 at 3:42 PM, leadeater said:

All of those are applications, but none of them are "App"s 🙂

2 hours ago, LoganDark said:

All of those are applications, but none of them are "App"s 🙂

App is literally short hand for Application because people don't like saying 'Application'. There is no difference at all, GUI and user interactivity is not a 'requirement' to call it an App nor an Application.

sudo is an App, sudo is also an Application (because they are not different things).