Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Found Out Some Interesting Info on 3080's Calling Local Computer Shops

I have been trying to find a 3080 for a pretty long time at this point with no luck.  Today I decided to call multiple Mom and Pop computer stores around town, six in total, and the information they provided was really interesting.  There were two stores that had a few cards in stock but they were going for between $1,200 and $1,500, EVGA FTW and MSI Trio cards.  Two more stores said they didnt have them in stock and did not know when they would get them in stock.  However the last two stores were where I had some interesting conversations.  The first store told me that he didnt have any in stock and he was not planning on selling any.  He stated that he was disgusted about the pricing situation and refused to pass that along to his customers.  We talked about a few more things, namely selling older used cards but I didnt push him for any additional info in regards to how much he was getting the cards for.  The last store I called said pretty much the same thing as the last and that they also were refusing to sell any cards.  This time I asked him if would tell me what he was getting the cards from the manufacturers for.  He said that customers werent the only ones getting ripped off and that they couldnt obtain any 3080 cards for less than $1,000 from the actual card makers themselves.

What in the heck is going on?  These cards are MSRP for between $600-$800 and they are being sold to sellers (not consumers) for 40% HIGHER than then actual MSRP.  I am in the US and expected a slight increase due to the tariffs but 40% over MSRP to sellers?  This is card markers purposefully screwing over consumers because they know they will pay any price for these cards and its just straight up wrong.  Sorry for the rant but I figured I would share this info since I got it straight from the shop owners themselves. 

No one, and I mean no one, repeat no one, is getting screwed.  These are choices to own these commodities.  These arent a necessity they are an option.  

Blame the consumerism.  Not the manufacturer, they are going to charge whatever the market allows for the most amount of profit.

Current in process build: Project Odyssey - Build Logs - Linus Tech Tips

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 3: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler in push/pull, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  Lenovo 27" 1080p 60hz placeholder monitor, generic mouse, generic keyboard.  Still a work in progress

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Viotek GN24C 24" 1080p 144hz curved and Hannspree HF207 as 2nd monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dell OptiPlex 3040 MFF: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV 

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 4gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro XFCE at the moment.

Home Security: ZOSI 8 channel CCTV (4 used at this time, 1080p) DVR H.265+, 3tb HGST Enterprise HDD, ASUS monitor for display

3 minutes ago, Tristerin said:

No one, and I mean no one, repeat no one, is getting screwed.  These are choices to own these commodities.  These arent a necessity they are an option.  

Blame the consumerism.  Not the manufacturer, they are going to charge whatever the market allows for the most amount of profit.

I get that.  But then why even have a MSRP?  Doesn't that seem a little dishonest to advertise one price and then sell for a different price?

9 minutes ago, D4550 said:

I get that.  But then why even have a MSRP?  Doesn't that seem a little dishonest to advertise one price and then sell for a different price?

Capitalism - nothing is honest.  What if the manufacturer said that to make it appear like they were the good guys with full intention to charge more to push the blame down the pipeline

Current in process build: Project Odyssey - Build Logs - Linus Tech Tips

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 3: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler in push/pull, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  Lenovo 27" 1080p 60hz placeholder monitor, generic mouse, generic keyboard.  Still a work in progress

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Viotek GN24C 24" 1080p 144hz curved and Hannspree HF207 as 2nd monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dell OptiPlex 3040 MFF: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV 

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 4gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro XFCE at the moment.

Home Security: ZOSI 8 channel CCTV (4 used at this time, 1080p) DVR H.265+, 3tb HGST Enterprise HDD, ASUS monitor for display

31 minutes ago, D4550 said:

This is card markers purposefully screwing over consumers because they know they will pay any price for these cards and its just straight up wrong. Sorry for the rant but I figured I would share this info since I got it straight from the shop owners themselves. 

Then don't buy them. The card makers are going to make as much profit as they can by marking the cards up to the point where they can no longer get enough people to buy them. What would you suggest as a solution? Somebody is going to tell the makers of luxury goods how much they're allowed to charge for a toy? That's a bit of a can of worms to open, don't you think?

If a couple of store owners "choose" not to sell any of the new cards and pass up that business based on a moral stand (which for all we know is just putting a nice spin on not being able to get any to sell anyway), that's their choice. 

You haven't shared any "info" at all. Cards expensive, people grumpy, more details in our 11 o'clock edition!

Your post is truly just a rant, and it's getting very tiresome seeing people in this hobby, many of whom already have very capable PC's, getting into a snit about not being able to upgrade to the latest and greatest as if this even ranks anywhere in the top 100 or so injustices our society is struggling with. 

Main PC | Ryzen 5 5600X - ASRock X570 PG Velocita - RX 6800 Reference - 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz - 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe

Folding/Plex PC | Ryzen 7 3700X - Asus X370 Crosshair VI Extreme - Asus Strix RTX 2080 + Asus Strix RTX 2070 - 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2400mhz - Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD, 2x 3TB HDD

Emulation PC | Ryzen 5 3400G - ASRock A300 DeskMini - 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666mhz SO-DIMM - Samsung 840 500GB SSD

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

Then don't buy them. The card makers are going to make as much profit as they can by marking the cards up to the point where they can no longer get enough people to buy them. What would you suggest as a solution? Somebody is going to tell the makers of luxury goods how much they're allowed to charge for a toy? That's a bit of a can of worms to open, don't you think?

If a couple of store owners "choose" not to sell any of the new cards and pass up that business based on a moral stand (which for all we know is just putting a nice spin on not being able to get any to sell anyway), that's their choice. 

You haven't shared any "info" at all. Cards expensive, people grumpy, more details in our 11 o'clock edition!

Your post is truly just a rant, and it's getting very tiresome seeing people in this hobby, many of whom already have very capable PC's, getting into a snit about not being able to upgrade to the latest and greatest as if this even ranks anywhere in the top 100 or so injustices our society is struggling with. 

Definitely ranks at the bottom of problems facing this world at the moment but why is it a crazy thought that people have a problem with this pricing practice?  You're telling me that if you went to buy something at a store, even a luxury item, and their in store price was almost triple what they advertised on their website you would be ok with that?  Just because it's not an essential item doesn't make it any less of a scummy practice.

Just now, D4550 said:

Definitely ranks at the bottom of problems facing this world at the moment but why is it a crazy thought that people have a problem with this pricing practice?  You're telling me that if you went to buy something at a store, even a luxury item, and their in store price was almost triple what they advertised on their website you would be ok with that?  Just because it's not an essential item doesn't make it any less of a scummy practice.

Look man, what are you going to do about it? The prices suck, nobody's going to disagree with you on that. Maybe if we all just piss and moan about it some more on the internet the GPU manufacturers will have pangs of conscience and lower prices again! 

Nobody needs a GPU. You don't like what they cost, don't buy them. Get a console instead, take up a different hobby entirely like basket-weaving or something. This circlejerk where we harumph about how outrageous it all is accomplishes nothing. 

Main PC | Ryzen 5 5600X - ASRock X570 PG Velocita - RX 6800 Reference - 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mhz - 2x XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB NVMe

Folding/Plex PC | Ryzen 7 3700X - Asus X370 Crosshair VI Extreme - Asus Strix RTX 2080 + Asus Strix RTX 2070 - 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws 4 2400mhz - Samsung 860 Evo 500GB SSD, 2x 3TB HDD

Emulation PC | Ryzen 5 3400G - ASRock A300 DeskMini - 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport 2666mhz SO-DIMM - Samsung 840 500GB SSD

1 minute ago, Middcore said:

Look man, what are you going to do about it? The prices suck, nobody's going to disagree with you on that. Maybe if we all just piss and moan about it some more on the internet the GPU manufacturers will have pangs of conscience and lower prices again! 

Nobody needs a GPU. You don't like what they cost, don't buy them. Get a console instead, take up a different hobby entirely like basket-weaving or something. This circlejerk where we harumph about how outrageous it all is accomplishes nothing. 

What does it matter what the item is?  Most of the crap people buy on a day to day basis is not needed or essential.  Yeah complaining on the internet isn't going to change anything but it boggles my mind that people are defending these companies.

Yeah its definitely frustrating that sellers aren't following the MSRP and instead charging the same as the scalpers are, but thats supply and demand.

But good luck trying to get a console because scalpers are buying up those too.

Try to think of this from a business perspective and not an emotional one. 

There's a supply shortage and an incredible amount of demand. Why would anyone not capitalize on that? Even the manufacturers?

And you don't screw over a consumer by overpricing a product, you screw over a consumer by misleading them about the product

ALIENWARE 13R3

i7-7700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 | 512GB NVMe SSD | 1440p OLED display | Logitech MX Master KZ ZSA

Obviously no one knows what msrp stands for. "manufacturers SUGGESTED retail price" . No one has to follow that especially when demand far outweighs supply 

20 minutes ago, D4550 said:

What does it matter what the item is?  Most of the crap people buy on a day to day basis is not needed or essential.  Yeah complaining on the internet isn't going to change anything but it boggles my mind that people are defending these companies.

Little bit of patience goes a long ways. There's a massive supply shortage. Sometimes you have to be smarter than the scalpers and luckier than the retailers. I got my 6800 xt for MSRP ($650) from AMD the day the 6900xt launched. I was actually able to get a 5800x and 6800 xt in the same order from them for MSRP since everyone was focused on 5950x, 5900x and 6900 xt.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

Project Hot Box

CPU Ryzen 7 5800x, Motherboard MSI MPG B550I Gaming Edge Wifi, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200mhz (2x16), GPU AMD Raedon 6800 XT FE, Case Silverstone RVZ03B, Storage CORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR sf600, Cooling Noctua NH-L12S, Displays LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch, 32 inch curved that I can't find the model number for right now; UPerfect 7 inch LCD Aida64 Display, Keyboard Corsair K95, Mouse Corsair Nightblade, Sound AT2020+ USB Mic, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Schiit Magni, Modi Loki mini stack. 

Why is the 5800x so hot?

You sure those mom and pops aren't just scalping them online and blaming the AIBs so they don't look like the bad guy to their customers?

What’s really telling here is that all the people here saying things along the lines of “just get over it”, “your whining isn’t going to change anything”, “nobody NEEDS a video card” and the like are by and large people that already have their $1500+ overpriced video cards and proudly display that fact in their message footers. In other words, the problem isn’t effecting them so begone, peasant. But that’s just how things are, right? The haves are supposed to lord it over the have nots, right? Isn’t that really what you guys saying that mean?

So yeah....I guess those of us that can’t afford to pay $600 for a card that should cost less that $300 or pay $1500 to $2000 for a card that should only sell for $500 to $1000 should just shove off because we obviously don’t deserve to play games, right?

23 minutes ago, LyteWing said:

What’s really telling here is that all the people here saying things along the lines of “just get over it”, “your whining isn’t going to change anything”, “nobody NEEDS a video card” and the like are by and large people that already have their $1500+ overpriced video cards and proudly display that fact in their message footers. In other words, the problem isn’t effecting them so begone, peasant. But that’s just how things are, right? The haves are supposed to lord it over the have nots, right? Isn’t that really what you guys saying that mean?

So yeah....I guess those of us that can’t afford to pay $600 for a card that should cost less that $300 or pay $1500 to $2000 for a card that should only sell for $500 to $1000 should just shove off because we obviously don’t deserve to play games, right?

I didn't pay anywhere near $1500 for my 6800 XT, thanks very much (although I got mine prior to the tariff expiration price hike), I helped multiple people in my area get new GPU's at a financial loss to myself, and the reason I upgraded was so I could move my old hardware to a system that folds all day for medical research, selfish bastard that I am. 

Things suck right now for trying to get into this hobby and do a first build on a limited budget. Frequently in the past few weeks my local Micro Center doesn't have a single GPU in stock priced under $500. I feel for those people. People who already have nice systems and just want to upgrade because ooh shiny and 400 fps in CS:GO instead of 350, which is most of the people complaining on forums like this? Nah. 

Get salty at me over it if you want.  I'm a more convenient target than the deaf, faceless, multi-billion dollar corps that sell GPU's. It still won't make any difference. And you know it. 

6 hours ago, Middcore said:

I didn't pay anywhere near $1500 for my 6800 XT, thanks very much (although I got mine prior to the tariff expiration price hike), I helped multiple people in my area get new GPU's at a financial loss to myself, and the reason I upgraded was so I could move my old hardware to a system that folds all day for medical research, selfish bastard that I am. 

Things suck right now for trying to get into this hobby and do a first build on a limited budget. Frequently in the past few weeks my local Micro Center doesn't have a single GPU in stock priced under $500. I feel for those people. People who already have nice systems and just want to upgrade because ooh shiny and 400 fps in CS:GO instead of 350, which is most of the people complaining on forums like this? Nah. 

Get salty at me over it if you want.  I'm a more convenient target than the deaf, faceless, multi-billion dollar corps that sell GPU's. It still won't make any difference. And you know it. 

Since there are many others on this site that fit the description I put forth I find it interesting that you apparently feel personally attacked.  Sorry you feel that way for some reason, but you see, I don’t know you so I wouldn’t single you out, thus my broad description.  

I am glad to hear you are apparently one of the few “good guys” out there curing disease with your video cards and going in debt getting friends video cards.  Just curious about how that works....like do you actually pay for all or part of the card for them? Very commendable either way.

But back to my original point that wasn’t actually a direct attack upon your person.....there are those out there that have been greatly negatively effected by the current world situation.  Maybe their income dropped significantly or they lost their job all together through no real fault of their own due to COVID. Situations like that when combined with something like this video card fiasco are just insane.  It’s only natural that people in a situation like that will want to vent and come to groups like this for support and maybe even comfort.  What doesn’t help then is when they arrive at what they feel should be a group of their friendly peers and get told “sucks to be you but I got mine, whiner”.

That was my point, not to attack a single person I have never met in my life.

I know what is currently happening with GPU's appears scummy but with COVID-19,  manufacturing and transport is affected to varying degrees limiting availability and driving up costs. Add limited FAB time availability (and possibly low yields), people with stimulus cheques burning a hole in their collective pockets, mining interest plus a sprinkle of China/USA tariff increases and you have a perfect storm for elevated prices. Look, if a company's stock is in demand; the trading price goes up; no difference to what's happening with 30-series and 6000-series GPU's - the price reflects what retailers (and others with their fingers in the supply chain) think the consumer is willing to swallow.

I'm in Australia, at launch there were a total of thirty 6000-series AMD cards released to retailers for the entire country (Singapore received exactly zero). Further, wholesalers here seeing demand for the new cards required some retailers to take packages like ten B450 motherboards for every RTX 3080 unit ordered. Great way for the wholesaler to offload older stock I suppose 🙄

Anyway, what would I know; I have my RTX 3090 which I waited patiently for (full money down and a 2 month fulfilment) and a further 7 week to ship (again with full money down) my waterblock. The world is evolving into an instant-gratification beast with even the slightest deviation in wait time is cause for some to completely lose any demeanour . This is exactly what the scalper's prey on (desirability + limited + must have now) to exist. Learn some patience and keep your eye out for stock at a sensible price.. the waiting won't kill you.