Ryzen 5 3600 + Noctua NH-D15. Idle: 45-50°C, Stress(P95): 73°C

Zply

Hello! Yesterday I installed my Noctua NH-D15 cooler (went a little bit overkill because I'm going to upgrade CPU soon). First I ran into the problem of not having enough space to mount the second fan because of my RAM being to tall. Putting the fan higher up was not a choice because then I couldn't put on the side panel of my case. Therefore I skipped mounting the second fan I'm currently running with only one fan, but from what I've read this shouldn't make more than a 3-4°C difference. I think my stress temps are pretty good (currently 70-73°C with prime95), but my idle temps are a little bit higher than I expected. Currently with no software running I get idle temps between 45 and 50°C. Is this normal or should they be lower? I've checked my thermal paste and it wasn't completely spread out on the CPU so I added some thermal paste in the middle and a little bit in the corners where there none, but this didn't make a difference. Are these temps normal? I would be happy to get any ideas/tips that might make me able to bring especially the idle temps lower.

Meshify C / R5 3600 / Noctua NH-D15 / Asus b450-f strix / GTX 1660S 6gb / 2x8gb 3200mhz Vengeance

Seems a bit warm, how fast is your CPU running?

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal TorrentCompact | 1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

When you remove the cooler, you need to repaste, and always clean before doing so.. You don't want air bubbles. Take cpu cooler off. check if brackets screwed are all the way down and reseat cooler with a dot just under the Z in Ryzen logo on cpu. Use a size of approx the diameter of a chickpea as reference and you'll get a perfect fit. 

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550 Elite V2 | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 2x16gb 3200 @3600mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 G3 | Monitor: LG 27GL850-B , Samsung C27HG70 | 
GPU: Red Devil RX 7900XT | Sound: Odac + Fiio E09K | Case: Fractal Design R6 TG Blackout |Storage: MP510 960gb and 860 Evo 500gb | Cooling: CPU: Noctua NH-D15 with one fan

FS in Denmark/EU:

Asus Dual GTX 1060 3GB. Used maximum 4 months total. Looks like new. Card never opened. Give me a price. 

I currently have everything on auto in BIOS so no overclock. My core voltage is 1.4V and my my frequency is jumping between 3300 and 4100 MHz.

Meshify C / R5 3600 / Noctua NH-D15 / Asus b450-f strix / GTX 1660S 6gb / 2x8gb 3200mhz Vengeance

It's normal. All Ryzens run warm on "idle". The voltage can spike up to 1.5V during single core burst loads, resulting in higher temps. 

8 minutes ago, WereCat said:

It's normal. All Ryzens run warm on "idle". The voltage can spike up to 1.5V during single core burst loads, resulting in higher temps. 

Maybe normal to you.. I can tell you my Ryzen doesn't operate like that.. and idles down into the 30s with an all core oc. He is running the Mighty D15, could be a few things.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3733 14-14-14-34 1.5v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal TorrentCompact | 1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

Thanks for all the tips! I will remount it and add new thermal paste later today when I come home. Another thing to note is that I am running the latest bios version and chipset drivers for my MOBO so there ahouldn’t be any issues with that. 

Try the paste, see what happens.. 

What is your airflow like in your Meshify?

4 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Try the paste, see what happens.. 

What is your airflow like in your Meshify?

I got two 140mm Noctua NF-A14 as intake fans at the front, and two 120mm Meshify C stock fans as exhaust fans in the rear (one at the back and one at the top).

34 minutes ago, freeagent said:

Maybe normal to you.. I can tell you my Ryzen doesn't operate like that.. and idles down into the 30s with an all core oc. He is running the Mighty D15, could be a few things.

Sounds voltage related with your processor at idle speeds.

I don't get that with a 10980XE+NH-D15 at idle, temps are under 37 oC right now as I am typing this and lower when idle and this is an 18 core monster. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

3600 with a NHU12S here. ( two fans, on the heatsink.. push and pull )

Idle is about 32c, full load about 65c

1 hour ago, SpiderMan said:

I don't get that with a 10980XE+NH-D15 at idle, temps are under 37 oC right now as I am typing this and lower when idle and this is an 18 core monster. 

The 10980XE is a higher-power-consuming CPU, but that doesn't necessarily mean higher idle temps - Ryzen has certain aggressive transient boost behavior that makes it tend to run warmer at idle.

1 hour ago, SpiderMan said:

Ok so I did some research and experimenting and it seems that multiple have this problem with Ryzen running at high voltages when idle? I went into Windows settings and changed CPU performance to 30% max. This dropped the voltage to 0.9V and with it dropped the temp to about 40°C. I tried running all my fans and the temp dropped to at minimum 33°C. Because of this I guess the problem shouldn't be with heat transferring from the CPU to the cooler? But rather with it running at high voltage like you say?

3 hours ago, freeagent said:

You are also running yours at controlled voltages. Which does make a difference, on Ryzens too.

@Zply, about the 2nd fan. You could mount it to other side as pull too. Shouldn't make any difference to what it does on the other side of the cooler.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

57 minutes ago, Grabhanem said:

The 10980XE is a higher-power-consuming CPU, but that doesn't necessarily mean higher idle temps - Ryzen has certain aggressive transient boost behavior that makes it tend to run warmer at idle.

While true, Ryzen tends to pump more voltages into these chips for no reason under light/idle loads. It just creates excessive heat that will result in higher temperatures. That's why I was leading off with voltages being the main problem for temperatures on a Noctua NH-D15. 

3 minutes ago, Zply said:

Ok so I did some research and experimenting and it seems that multiple have this problem with Ryzen running at high voltages when idle? I went into Windows settings and changed CPU performance to 30% max. This dropped the voltage to 0.9V and with it dropped the temp to about 40°C. I tried running all my fans and the temp dropped to at minimum 33°C. Because of this I guess the problem shouldn't be with heat transferring from the CPU to the cooler? But rather with it running at high voltage like you say?

Yes, you are correct about the high voltages with Ryzen. Has to be related to high voltage as higher voltage, more heat being produced by the chip, even if it's not under a load. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

53 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

You are also running yours at controlled voltages. Which does make a difference, on Ryzens too.

@Zply, about the 2nd fan. You could mount it to other side as pull too. Shouldn't make any difference to what it does on the other side of the cooler.

What do you mean by controlled voltages in this case? Is that just going in to BIOS and changing your voltages? And about the fan that is a great idea, should make the airflow at least a little bit better.

42 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

While true, Ryzen tends to pump more voltages into these chips for no reason under light/idle loads. It just creates excessive heat that will result in higher temperatures. That's why I was leading off with voltages being the main problem for temperatures on a Noctua NH-D15. 

Yes, you are correct about the high voltages with Ryzen. Has to be related to high voltage as higher voltage, more heat being produced by the chip, even if it's not under a load. 

Ok. I can't seem a way to fix this. Lowering the overall CPU performance lowers the voltage, but that isn't really a fix. Is there a way to fix it or is it more of a hardware problem?

1 minute ago, Zply said:

What do you mean by controlled voltages in this case? Is that just going in to BIOS and changing your voltages? And about the fan that is a great idea, should make the airflow at least a little bit better.

Ok. I can't seem a way to fix this. Lowering the overall CPU performance lowers the voltage, but that isn't really a fix. Is there a way to fix it or is it more of a hardware problem?

Well, you'll have to turn down the voltages in BIOS most likely to correct this problem, which is notorious on Ryzen CPUs. I'm not 100% if a BIOS update (if not on the latest) can help mitigate the problem or use the Ryzen Master to see what is happening. 

11 minutes ago, Zply said:

The one I was quoting has theirs running at OC and voltages set to 1.338V with probably some adaptive/offset going on. I'm bit out of loop when it comes to OCing, more so with Ryzen. But seeing you are running at 1.4V+, even on low loads when you shouldn't really need much of voltages, that already makes a difference, no matter what cooler one has.

So reading your earlier point:

1 hour ago, Zply said:

If the bolded would be issue, you would be seeing high temps during load also. Its not like heatsinks and thermal paste active only when you go over some thermal threshold .

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

15 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

The one I was quoting has theirs running at OC and voltages set to 1.338V with probably some adaptive/offset going on. I'm bit out of loop when it comes to OCing, more so with Ryzen. But seeing you are running at 1.4V+, even on low loads when you shouldn't really need much of voltages, that already makes a difference, no matter what cooler one has.

So reading your earlier point:

If the bolded would be issue, you would be seeing high temps during load also. Its not like heatsinks and thermal paste active only when you go over some thermal threshold .

Yes.

Multiplier set to x45

I have Core VID set to 1.337v Per CCX

VDDCR CPU Overvoltage override set to 1.33750v

VDDCR CPU LLC Level 4

VDDCR Current Capability 130%

VDDCR SOC LLC Level 2

VDDCR SOC Current Capability 130%

CPU PPT sensor shows a max of 120w with Linpack Xtreme 1.15

Works good 👍

Cant nail down 4600 safely unfortunately. At least not on air 😜