Any server nerds in the house? Dell Canada publish specs on 3 upcoming 7nm Epyc Milan CPUs confirming rumours

Master Disaster

I have to start this one off by asking a simple question, would you like a warranty with that?

Ok memes done, on to the serious stuff. A while back we had some interesting leaks about 3 new Epyc SKUs, now Dell have confirmed them by listing them as options for servers on their Canadian website.

AMD's 3rd Gen EPYC Milan CPU lineup launches at the end of this quarter but it looks like Dell has leaked out a few variants along with their official specifications and prices. Yesterday, Dell Canada listed down three EPYC 7003 variants which are part of the 7nm Milan family and powered by the Zen 3 core architecture.

The three AMD EPYC Milan CPUs that were leaked by Dell include the EPYC 7763, the EPYC 7713, and the EPYC 7543. Specifications for these three parts leaked out a while back but the latest leak confirms that those details were accurate as they match this leak

And the good stuff, the specs.

The AMD EPYC 7763 CPU features 64 cores and 128 threads. It comes with a base clock of 2.45 GHz and boosts up to 3.50 GHz. The chip features 256 MB of L3, 32 MB of L2 cache, and has a TDP set at 280W. The EPYC 7763 should cost an extra $8069.69 CAD over the base price which is cheaper than the EPYC 7742 that would end up an extra $9705.10 CAD.

Moving on to the EPYC 7713, we are still getting 64 cores and 128 threads. The clocks are set at 2.0 GHz base and 3.7 GHz boost. The chip retains the 256 MB L3 and 32 MB L2 cache but comes with a lower TDP of 225W. That's mostly due to the lower all-core boost and the lower base clocks. AMD's EPYC 7713 will cost you an extra $7093.69 CAD over the base price which once again is cheap when compared to Rome 64 core variants.

Finally, we have the EPYC 7543 which comes with a 32 core and 64 thread configuration. The AMD Milan CPU features a base clock of 2.80 GHz and a boost clock of 3.70 GHz. The CPU carries 256 MB of L3 and 32 MB of L2 cache which is made possible through the 8 chiplets on board rather than 4. The CPU comes with a TDP of 225W and is going to cost an extra $2579.69 US over the base config. This is actually a very attractive price point for the 32 core Milan offering as all the AMD Rome 32 core variants are priced at an extra $3000-$3500 US over the base configuration.

AMD-EPYC-Milan-3rd-Gen-Zen-3-Server-CPU-

Source - https://wccftech.com/amd-3rd-gen-epyc-milan-7003-cpu-specifications-prices-leaked-by-dell/

Its just a shame most people will probably never see an Epyc CPU in their entire lives let alone use one. Damn expensive though.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

i mean threadrippers and epyc pretty sure always has been expensive, hopefully linus gets one in his hands tho

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

Man, Id love to see more people using Epyc CPUs.

The company Im working for only deploys Xeons for their cluster, I really hope to convince them or at least make them think about deploying a single Epyc server instead of 3 different Xeons ones.

My Gaming PC:
Inno3D iChill Black - RTX 4080 - +500 Memory, undervolted Core, 2xCorsair QX120 (push) + 2xInno3D 120mm (pull)
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D - NZXT x72
G.SKILL Trident Z @6000MHz CL30 - 2x16GB
Asus Strix X670E-E Gaming

1x500GB Samsung 960 Pro (Windows 11)

1x2TB Kingston KC3000 (Games)

1x1TB WD Blue SN550 (Programs)

1x1TB Samsung 870 EVO (Programs)
Corsair RM-850X

Lian Li O11 Vision
ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM (240hz OLED), MSI Optix MAG274QRFDE-QD, BenQ ZOWIE XL2720

Logitech G Pro Wireless Superlight
Wooting 60HE

Audeze LCD2-C + FiiO K3

Klipsch RP600-M + Klipsch R-120 SW

My Notebook:

MacBook Pro 16 M1 - 16GB

Proxmox-Cluster:

• Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus Strix X570E F-Gaming, 2x32GB3200MHz ECC, 2x 512GB NVMe ZFS-Mirror (Boot + Testing-VMs), 2x14TB ZFS-Mirror + 1x3TB (TrueNAS-VM), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 10G NIC
  • i7 8700k delidded undervolted, Gigabyte Z390 UD, 4x16GB 3200MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC
  • i5 4670, 3x4GB + 1x8GB 1600MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC

Proxmox-Backup-Server:

• i5 4670, 4x4GB 1600MHz, 2x2TB ZFS-Mirror, 2,5G NIC

The only point of these when threadripper pro 5xxx is for dual epyc for 128 cores. But that still has no point

19 minutes ago, Noah0302 said:

Man, Id love to see more people using Epyc CPUs.

The company Im working for only deploys Xeons for their cluster, I really hope to convince them or at least make them think about deploying a single Epyc server instead of 3 different Xeons ones.

Just out of curiosity is there any particular reason why they’re sticking to Xeon? I’ve heard iffy things about virtualization support on Ryzen as a whole but other than that (from my personal perspective) AMD’s server offerings have really come a long way.

Arch is better than Ubuntu. Fight me peko.

1 minute ago, JLO64 said:

Just out of curiosity is there any particular reason why they’re sticking to Xeon? I’ve heard iffy things about virtualization support on Ryzen as a whole but other than that (from my personal perspective) AMD’s server offerings have really come a long way.

I think its just ingrained in their memory that serverusecase = Xeon.

We are using a proxmox cluster, which should work well with Epyc as far as I know.

My Gaming PC:
Inno3D iChill Black - RTX 4080 - +500 Memory, undervolted Core, 2xCorsair QX120 (push) + 2xInno3D 120mm (pull)

Corsair RM-850X

Lian Li O11 Vision
ASUS ROG Swift OLED PG27AQDM (240hz OLED), MSI Optix MAG274QRFDE-QD, BenQ ZOWIE XL2720

Wooting 60HE

Audeze LCD2-C + FiiO K3

My Notebook:

MacBook Pro 16 M1 - 16GB

Proxmox-Cluster:

• Ryzen 9 3950X, Asus Strix X570E F-Gaming, 2x32GB3200MHz ECC, 2x 512GB NVMe ZFS-Mirror (Boot + Testing-VMs), 2x14TB ZFS-Mirror + 1x3TB (TrueNAS-VM), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 10G NIC
  • i7 8700k delidded undervolted, Gigabyte Z390 UD, 4x16GB 3200MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC
  • i5 4670, 3x4GB + 1x8GB 1600MHz, 1x 512GB SSD (Boot), 1x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe (Ceph-OSD), 2,5G NIC

Proxmox-Backup-Server:

17 minutes ago, JLO64 said:

I can say that, in my testing (a small home lab) my Zen 2 handles all virtualisation with no issues. Granted running a few VMs in VMWare is not the same thing as a server running a type 1 hypervisor with possibly hundreds of VMs so there is that.

36 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

The only point of these when threadripper pro 5xxx is for dual epyc for 128 cores. But that still has no point

When you're talking server gear the CPU is kind of secondary, the main point is the platform as a whole. AMD need to prove that Epyc can at least match Xeon in all the things important to data centres like stability & compatibility.

Data centres are not going to run Threadripper no matter how appealing it might seem for the same reasons why they also won't run Core I9s. In a server setting uptime matters above all else and consumer grade CPUs (even HEDT) are not rated to be running flat out 24/7/365 for literally years.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

9 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

I can say that, in my testing (a small home lab) my Zen 2 handles all virtualisation with no issues. Granted running a few VMs in VMWare is not the same thing as a server running a type 1 hypervisor with possibly hundreds of VMs so there is that.

I also have Ryzen machine that handles VMs perfectly.

But having virtualized Windows Servers, Terminalservers, IP Telephone Systems, Firewalls etc. for our customers is, just as you said, quite a bit more difficult. 😄

My Gaming PC:

Corsair RM-850X

Lian Li O11 Vision

Wooting 60HE

Audeze LCD2-C + FiiO K3

My Notebook:

MacBook Pro 16 M1 - 16GB

Proxmox-Cluster:

Proxmox-Backup-Server:

Yeah, they are their own category. The upcoming TR though, that will be awesome.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

6 hours ago, Noah0302 said:

I also have Ryzen machine that handles VMs perfectly.

But having virtualized Windows Servers, Terminalservers, IP Telephone Systems, Firewalls etc. for our customers is, just as you said, quite a bit more difficult. 😄

Been running first gen epyc for over 2 years.  vsphere.  Its rock stable on the supermicro platform.

20 hours ago, Noah0302 said:

We are using a proxmox cluster, which should work well with Epyc as far as I know.

Tbh my guess is because they know Intel’s products are reliable. Epyc is still relatively new so their could still be bugs and issues which could cost a company a lot of money if it were to affect them. That’s one of the reasons a lot of places are sticking with intel for the time being. However soon we may see a lot more switch over since epyc is much cheaper and has better performance. Plus places have had a few years to validate their software to run well on epyc and make changes if needed. 

23 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Its just a shame most people will probably never see an Epyc CPU in their entire lives let alone use one

Damn it, I hate being left out from the group 😢

22 hours ago, JLO64 said:

22 hours ago, Noah0302 said:

It's almost always because you cannot have different CPU architectures in the same cluster, or rather there is no point. You cannot live migrate a running VM between architectures which is a huge problem. If you want to switch architectures you have to do it outright, all hosts at once, otherwise it's an administrative pain in the ass.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

It's almost always because you cannot have different CPU architectures in the same cluster, or rather there is no point. You cannot live migrate a running VM between architectures which is a huge problem. If you want to switch architectures you have to do it outright, all hosts at once, otherwise it's an administrative pain in the ass

So basically you either pay forit all at once or stick to what you have, ouch

1 minute ago, Ankh Tech said:

So basically you either pay forit all at once or stick to what you have, ouch

When servers are lifecycled correctly that's how it's done anyway, it's really only a problem if you need to add capacity to an existing cluster. But then also you have servers in the cluster with a different lifecycle length. It's all a bit messy.

I've actually done this thing before, way back when AMD Opterons were a thing. Moving to then moving from those when AMD dropped out of the server market, basically.

Very generally speaking my advice for such a switch over is to pay for extended warranty on a set amount of the existing hosts and then create a new cluster using the new hardware architecture then arrange outage windows for a collection of VMs and move them over to the new cluster. Then as budget permits expand the new cluster and shrink the old, repeating the process of outage wiindows and VM shutdowns etc.

On 2/3/2021 at 10:25 PM, JLO64 said:

SAP HANA cannot run on amd processor

52 minutes ago, DoTr said:

SAP HANA cannot run on amd processor

Well no it can run on current AMD processors, it's not supported by SAP to do it. This is effectively the same thing for a business, AMD is not an option, but it's actually not correct on the technical level, it actually runs just fine on AMD.

Edit:

Also the other thing is EPYC is 2P max while Intel scales up to 8, and SAP HANA can be a better choice on IBM Power sometimes too. So while an AMD EPYC system might be equivalent (ish, not always, it depends) to an Intel 4P system it's absolutely not for 6P and 8P systems.

15 hours ago, leadeater said:

Damn it, I hate being left out from the group 😢

Its never too late to become part of the majority

✨FNIGE✨

3 hours ago, SlimyPython said:

Its never too late to become part of the majority

But that would mean having to throw out our EPYC servers, I don't want to do that

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

But that would mean having to throw out our EPYC servers, I don't want to do that

I'll happily take one off your hands rather than you just throwing them out. Not sure my electricity provider will be happy about it though 😄

11 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Not sure my electricity provider will be happy about it though 😄

It's an HPE, you can power cap it if you want to.

image.thumb.png.ebe559c8887c99d51310c2b30f99f556.png

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

It's an HPE, you can power cap it if you want to.

So I can change it from threatening letter mode to just an insane bill mode then 😄

On 2/5/2021 at 2:17 PM, leadeater said:

cover1.jpg

✨FNIGE✨