Where is the "best" place for a large asteroid to hit?

YellowJersey

This is a question I've had rattling around my brain for a while now.

Question: If a Chicxalub-sized were to hit the Earth, which impact site would cause the "least" amount of damage?

I realise that damage would be catestrophic regardless of where it hit, but where on Earth would be the "best" (ie, "least worst") place for it to hit?

Anywhere on land results in a nuclear winter. But would hitting the deep ocean would prevent a nuclear winter? Sure, it would result in a worldwide tsunami several hundred metres (or higher), but would there be areas of land deep in the interior of continents that would be spared the flooding? Would even the deep ocean not provide enough of a buffer to prevent billions of tonnes of dust and ash from being put into the atmosphere?

System Specs: Second-class potato, slightly mouldy

I don't think there's really a good spot for a meteor of that size to hit, at least if you want civilization to continue largely unaffected.

Even if you "just" hit the ocean, at the very least you'd have tons of additional water vapor in the atmosphere. Like CO2 it does contribute to the greenhouse effect. So climate would get messed up even worse then it is already. Might not kill humanity immediately, but long term… who knows?

Then there's the tsunami that would destroy a huge amount of infrastructure. Sure, you might survive if you live far enough from the ocean and high enough. But it might very well be "stone age" for some time to come, depending on how much critical infrastructure is destroyed.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I'd guess Siberia.  It will still be an Unpleasant Experience™ for all parties involved (i.e., inhabitants of Earth), but at least all we on the other side of the world will get will be the atmosphere turning into fire followed by dust storms that blot out the sun.  If it landed in the ocean, we'd get devastating coastal tsunamis as well.  And nobody needs a tsunami when they're on fire and suffocating already.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

Doesn't really matter, everyone would be screwed, especially if it was on the larger side of Chicxalub estimates as opposed to the smaller estimates.

The only difference that impact location would make would be the immediate after effects like deep ocean = massive mega tsunami, global flooding, steam and heat thrown into the atmosphere.

Shallower ocean = smaller tsunami, more ash, dust, debris as well as steam.

Direct land hit masses of ash, debris and toxic dust, leading very quickly to killer acid rain, pollution of all the world's water sources etc.