Enlighten me about Resizable Bar please..

Go to solution Solved by D13H4RD,

The drop you're seeing is more than likely just typical run-to-run variation. Resizable BAR doesn't actually do anything until it sees that the processor, motherboard, graphics hardware and graphics driver indicate support for the feature. Since the GTX 1080 Ti doesn't support the feature officially, even though the feature is active in the BIOS, it doesn't actually do anything because no PCIe device has indicated itself as supporting it. 

And I personally am not terribly hyped for the feature. It can deliver some significant gains in performance on 1-3 games but that's firmly an "in the future" kind of deal. Overall performance gains are in the low single digit percentage, and some games have degraded performance by a similar amount or worse. 

Hi Guys,

So i recently updated my Bios (Aorus Z390i Pro Wifi) to latest bios version and i set the Re-sizable Bar to Auto. i haven't tried games yet but using heaven benchmark i see it lowered down my benchmark score by like 5% compared to when its not enabled. I'm a poor guy, i cannot upgrade in 3 more years and just using i7 8700k, 1080 ti, 2x16gb 2666mhz ram, nvme for boot, 1TB ssd and HDD for files. i red that its a feature for 30 series, but cannot find any article saying that it DOES NOT support lower gen.. Please enlighten me what the hell does this feature do, and should i just disable this feature in my system? TIA Cheers!

It won't do anything. As I understand it, it's part of the gen 4 spec. So only the gen 4 supported cards have it. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

It won't do anything. As I understand it, it's part of the gen 4 spec. So only the gen 4 supported cards have it. 

So i'll just disable it and forget about it till i get 30 and above series card right?

1 hour ago, Elder__N00l3 said:

So i'll just disable it and forget about it till i get 30 and above series card right?

Rtx 3000 and rx6000 will support it. But disableing it might cause it to need a windows reinstall. So if it's the same perf, just leave it on.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Don't know?

Not sure?

Can't tell?

Leave it be. That's my philosophy when it comes to stuff like this.

21 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Rtx 3000 and rx6000 will support it. But disableing it might cause it to need a windows reinstall. So if it's the same perf, just leave it on.

when I updated my Bios, it is disabled by default. due to my excitement (without doing research first) i turned it on and i noticed a little decrease in performance in heaven benchmark. Later ill try few games and see if there's a significant performance decrease. but is there no major harm just leaving it on?

1 minute ago, LiamFirks97 said:

Don't know?

Not sure?

Can't tell?

Leave it be. That's my philosophy when it comes to stuff like this.

now due to a mix of excitement and stupidity, i have turned it on (disabled by default when i updated bios).. now i want to know if i should turn it back off or leave it on. it works normally turned on, with a little decrease in heaven bechmark..

-> Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The drop you're seeing is more than likely just typical run-to-run variation. Resizable BAR doesn't actually do anything until it sees that the processor, motherboard, graphics hardware and graphics driver indicate support for the feature. Since the GTX 1080 Ti doesn't support the feature officially, even though the feature is active in the BIOS, it doesn't actually do anything because no PCIe device has indicated itself as supporting it. 

And I personally am not terribly hyped for the feature. It can deliver some significant gains in performance on 1-3 games but that's firmly an "in the future" kind of deal. Overall performance gains are in the low single digit percentage, and some games have degraded performance by a similar amount or worse. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 2/1/2021 at 7:36 PM, Elder__N00l3 said:

Hi Guys,

So i recently updated my Bios (Aorus Z390i Pro Wifi) to latest bios version and i set the Re-sizable Bar to Auto. i haven't tried games yet but using heaven benchmark i see it lowered down my benchmark score by like 5% compared to when its not enabled. I'm a poor guy, i cannot upgrade in 3 more years and just using i7 8700k, 1080 ti, 2x16gb 2666mhz ram, nvme for boot, 1TB ssd and HDD for files. i red that its a feature for 30 series, but cannot find any article saying that it DOES NOT support lower gen.. Please enlighten me what the hell does this feature do, and should i just disable this feature in my system? TIA Cheers!

Not sure if you're still looking for an answer on this, but thought I'd chime in.
Resizeable Bar has been part of PCIe for a couple of generations, just not implemented. So, as far as I know, any GPU from the past few generations, including the GTX 1080ti (which I also have) is capable of doing it, BUT it needs to be activated in the BIOS as well as have driver support. When AMD first released it, they kind of misled people by saying you needed their new CPU and GPU. The only reason that those were "needed" was because the motherboard needed to have a BIOS to support it (which AMD released new ones to be able to support their 5000 CPUs), and drivers for the GPU to support it (which they released new drivers to support their 6000 GPUs). They "played nice" in saying they were helping Intel and NVidia be able to support Resizeable Bar, but realistically, it's always been supported, just not developed. So the "help" they offered was rather minor.
When NVidia did pick it up, they limited the support to the Ampere (RTX 30 Series) because they wanted to push the new cards - purely marketing based. Then with the supply issues, and wanting to look all great and "supporting gamers", they also enabled drivers for the 20 Series. I doubt they will go beyond that for driver support.
The performance benefits aren't that great, it really depends on the whole system. It is possible that NVidia may have tried Resizeable Bar with a 1080ti and found that it didn't make a difference, so didn't bother going forward to tweak it and keep up with it. Driver packages are complicated enough with all the generations and variations of the different cards. And with Resizeable Bar, you'll also be limited to the speed of your hardware.