EVGA 1080 ti death

Jimbo123456

So I purchased a 1080 ti. An EVGA 1080 ti ftw3. I got it home and saw that I could not power it. I have an 8 pin and a 6 pin pcie coming off my power supply. I see a dual 6 pin conversion in the box. I only used 1 6 pin instead of 2 not knowing and the other 8 pin and it powered up. A few seconds after it being on and displaying on the monitor it sparked and smoked. It still powers on but now there’s no display. Did I kill it or will it work when I get another 8 pin cable.

the monitor or GPU did that? (spark/smoke)

else it's RIP and some caps or something has to be replaced or fully dead.

Welcome to the forums!!!

4 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

the monitor or GPU did that? (spark/smoke)

else it's RIP and some caps or something has to be replaced or fully dead.

I believe what he is referring to as "it" in "A few second after it being on and displaying on the monitor it sparked and smoked" is the graphics card. Sounds like you killed the graphics card if the sparks and smoke were coming from the graphics card. You should only run a graphics card with the proper power cables that are necessary to run. Otherwise, unforeseen consequences may occur. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

3 minutes ago, SpiderMan said:

Welcome to the forums!!!

I believe what he is referring to as "it" in "A few second after it being on and displaying on the monitor it sparked and smoked" is the graphics card. Sounds like you killed the graphics card if the sparks and smoke were coming from the graphics card. You should only run a graphics card with the proper power cables that are necessary to run. Otherwise, unforeseen consequences may occur. 

Yeah it was the gpu that sparked and then smoked.

8 minutes ago, Jimbo123456 said:

Yeah it was the gpu that sparked and then smoked.

Unfortunately, sounds like the card is dead. You might have blown up some SMDs related to the power delivery on the card. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

8 hours ago, SpiderMan said:

Welcome to the forums!!!

Honestly sounds like EVGA killed the graphics card... I couldn't do anything with their weird 2 x 2 converters either, I'm supposed to use 4 power cables to connect 1 GPU, what? 

No of course I did not use them, and there are no instructions whatsoever (in my box wasn't one just those incredibly weird "adaptors" and some evga stickers lol) 

Well my GPU didn't blow up because after long thinking I used 2 pcie power cable, which, surprise, was my plan all along, but those weird adaptors are really terribly confusing and make no sense, unless your PSU came with really weird and weak cabling... imo EVGA killed the graphic card by providing these odd connectors and no description - provided there was no description like in my case... 

Or maybe the card was used, then who knows... ~

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

4 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Honestly sounds like EVGA killed the graphics card... I couldn't do anything with their weird 2 x 2 converters either, I'm supposed to use 4 power cables to connect 1 GPU, what? 

No of course I did not use them, and there are no instructions whatsoever (in my box wasn't one just those incredibly weird "adaptors" and some evga stickers lol) 

Well my GPU didn't blow up because after long thinking I used 2 pcie power cable, which, surprise, was my plan all along, but those weird adaptors are really terribly confusing and make no sense, unless your PSU came with really weird and weak cabling... imo EVGA killed the graphic card by providing these odd connectors and no description - provided there was no description like in my case... 

Or maybe the card was used, then who knows... ~

The OP has been DMing me about the graphics card. He said it appears to still get power and he disassembled the card and did not see any problematic areas that are visible to the naked eye. He may have gotten lucky. As for the PSU he has, its a Rosewill RBR1000-MS which I can't find that much info, other than it being on Newegg's released store for over 10 years (First available April 30, 2009).