5V to 12V Converter?

I have the B450 Tomahawk Max, which has no 3-pin 5v headers for RGB. I want to get the Phanteks Eclipse P360A which comes with 2 ARGB fans and I want to buy another of the same fan (Phanteks PH-F120SK) for exhaust. So in total, 3 ARGB fans. I found this adapter which apparently can convert 3 pin 5v to 4pin 12v. My problems with this converter are: 1. Some people have said it limits your rgb to only static colors, so basically back to 12v functionality. 2. Only 1 3pin 5v port? Can I daisy chain all 3 fans and connect them to the 1 port or do I have to buy a 3 to 1 rgb splitter?

buy a rgb hub that fits your rgb. if you have a port you could likely add more fans to it, until the power cant reach the rgb so maybe max 2-3 fans? not sure, just something to test. else 3 or 4 pin/volt difference to each other, no thanks?

1 minute ago, Quackers101 said:

buy a rgb hub that fits your rgb. if you have a port you could likely add more fans to it, until the power cant reach the rgb so maybe max 2-3 fans? not sure, just something to test. else 3 or 4 pin/volt difference to each other, no thanks?

Could you recommend any hubs that'll work? Again, I'm trying to convert 3-pin 5V to 4-pin 12V.

corsair use their connections but easier to get around, while more expensive.

some that use rgb through the USB cable to MB and sata power.

https://www.amazon.com/rgb-hub/s?k=rgb+hub

On that page you find corsair, ROG, deepcool and maybe the connections that fits your needs and might be cheaper else where.

7 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

corsair use their connections but easier to get around, while more expensive.

some that use rgb through the USB cable to MB and sata power.

https://www.amazon.com/rgb-hub/s?k=rgb+hub

On that page you find corsair, ROG, deepcool and maybe the connections that fits your needs and might be cheaper else where.

Most of these seem to be just hubs, not converters. I need a converter becuase the fans I want have 3-pin 5v connectors for the rgb, while my motherboard doesn't have any 3-pin 5v headers. So far the deepcool rgb converter and the farbwerk 360. The farbwerk 360 is out of stock though and more expensive.

2 minutes ago, DevvyHD said:

Most of these seem to be just hubs, not converters. I need a converter becuase the fans I want have 3-pin 5v connectors for the rgb, while my motherboard doesn't have any 3-pin 5v headers. So far the deepcool rgb converter and the farbwerk 360. The farbwerk 360 is out of stock though and more expensive.

why do you need a converter though? when a hub would do just fine?

You did have this https://www.amazon.com/DEEPCOOL-RGB-Convertor-Motherboard-Non-Compatible/dp/

although it didn't seem to be compatible with all motherboards.

11 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

why do you need a converter though? when a hub would do just fine?

You did have this https://www.amazon.com/DEEPCOOL-RGB-Convertor-Motherboard-Non-Compatible/dp/

although it didn't seem to be compatible with all motherboards.

A hub only adds more headers if you have a motherboard with 1 3-pin 5v header. My motherboard has 0 3-pin 5v headers. The fans NEED a 3-pin 5v header for the rgb to work. Now, the motherboard does have 4-pin 12v headers. So, with a converter, I could plug in the 3-pin 5v connectors from the fans into it, and get power from the 4-pin 12v headers from the motherboard and SATA power from the PSU. Only problem with that converter is theres only 1 3-pin 5v connector and I don't know if I can daisy chain thes fans. Also, with this converter, I can only use static colors for the fans.

1 hour ago, DevvyHD said:

A hub only adds more headers if you have a motherboard with 1 3-pin 5v header. My motherboard has 0 3-pin 5v headers.

like that being a way to make it work, no? and what? you don't need that on the motherboard, only USB pins?

3 hours ago, DevvyHD said:

I have the B450 Tomahawk Max, which has no 3-pin 5v headers for RGB. I want to get the Phanteks Eclipse P360A which comes with 2 ARGB fans and I want to buy another of the same fan (Phanteks PH-F120SK) for exhaust. So in total, 3 ARGB fans. I found this adapter which apparently can convert 3 pin 5v to 4pin 12v. My problems with this converter are: 1. Some people have said it limits your rgb to only static colors, so basically back to 12v functionality. 2. Only 1 3pin 5v port? Can I daisy chain all 3 fans and connect them to the 1 port or do I have to buy a 3 to 1 rgb splitter?

3 fans sould be find you will need a splitopr thow(just dont do more then 3) ya it will make your argb 5v dum like 12v.

you can also buy an usb controller  for your argb or manual controller of some sort. if you dont have an argb 5v header.

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

The Deepcool attaches to your 12v 4 pin header for RGB and then allows you to connect a ARGB device,  you'll need to split off the ARGB port to add additional ARGB parts though.  It only really converts it though so your ARGB fans become like RGB devices.  Each individual LED on the ARGB cannot be controlled like with ARGB.   

EZ DIY FAB also has a converter, but does allow you to use it as 12V connected or as its own controller.  Again, have to split the ARGB signal off.

https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-Converter-Transfer-Splitter-Motherboard/dp/B082KJH2T3

I have this on the way (2 weeks or so?) https://gelidstore.com/products/codi6-argb-controller-kit and am going to try to play with that.

3 hours ago, HBH said:

The Deepcool attaches to your 12v 4 pin header for RGB and then allows you to connect a ARGB device,  you'll need to split off the ARGB port to add additional ARGB parts though.  It only really converts it though so your ARGB fans become like RGB devices.  Each individual LED on the ARGB cannot be controlled like with ARGB.   

EZ DIY FAB also has a converter, but does allow you to use it as 12V connected or as its own controller.  Again, have to split the ARGB signal off.

https://www.amazon.com/EZDIY-FAB-Converter-Transfer-Splitter-Motherboard/dp/B082KJH2T3

I have this on the way (2 weeks or so?) https://gelidstore.com/products/codi6-argb-controller-kit and am going to try to play with that.

i think the gelid is just an fancy  Arduino controller with the fan and rgb ports hooked to it. but i could be wrong

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

On 2/2/2021 at 2:57 AM, Quackers101 said:

like that being a way to make it work, no? and what? you don't need that on the motherboard, only USB pins?

For RGB some fans need a 3 pin 5v header.

On 2/3/2021 at 5:25 AM, thrasher_565 said:

i think the gelid is just an fancy  Arduino controller with the fan and rgb ports hooked to it. but i could be wrong

I have no idea how to use arduinos lol

On 2/3/2021 at 2:12 AM, HBH said:

So I would only be able to use static colors? Also, let me know if that controller kit works out for you.

On 2/2/2021 at 3:22 AM, thrasher_565 said:

3 fans sould be find you will need a splitopr thow(just dont do more then 3) ya it will make your argb 5v dum like 12v.

you can also buy an usb controller  for your argb or manual controller of some sort. if you dont have an argb 5v header.

Some guy in another forum said that the P360A stock fans come pre-wired to a controller on the case so I would only need to use the converter for 1 fan. So if I use this converter for rgb, I can only use static colors?

20 minutes ago, DevvyHD said:

For RGB some fans need a 3 pin 5v header.

If you talk about software or if maybe the motherboard doesn't support that in some ways? else it should work, a fan is just a fan with RGB, I guess the controllers on ARGB could be different.

7 hours ago, DevvyHD said:

So I would only be able to use static colors? Also, let me know if that controller kit works out for you.

the convertor makes your argb fans act like rgb but there no guarantees that it will work.

Just a follow up.  I went with the Razer Chroma controller and so far it works well. 6 ARGB ports, connects to the motherboard via USB header and the unfortunate is molex power.

On 2/5/2021 at 2:40 AM, DevvyHD said:

So I would only be able to use static colors? 

Correct. A 5v ARGB device (fan, LED strip, etc) plugged into a controller that only receives an 12V RGB and converts it to a 5V signal can ONLY display that single color. It is not able to display multiple colors like a normal ARGB connected device would.

If you want your 5V ARGB devices to act like 5V ARGB devices (multiple colors at the same time) you will need an ARGB signal coming from somewhere. Many controllers can get their ARGB signals from USB 2.0 headers and third party software instead of a dedicated header and motherboard software (Such as Corsair or NZXT, but I dont know of any brands that work with standard ARGB equipment off the top of my head.) 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 11:08 PM, TVwazhere said:

Correct. A 5v ARGB device (fan, LED strip, etc) plugged into a controller that only receives an 12V RGB and converts it to a 5V signal can ONLY display that single color. It is not able to display multiple colors like a normal ARGB connected device would.

If you want your 5V ARGB devices to act like 5V ARGB devices (multiple colors at the same time) you will need an ARGB signal coming from somewhere. Many controllers can get their ARGB signals from USB 2.0 headers and third party software instead of a dedicated header and motherboard software (Such as Corsair or NZXT, but I dont know of any brands that work with standard ARGB equipment off the top of my head.) 

I have a slightly the same problem.

So I got a converter, the deepcool.  Thing is, it only converts 1 5v3pins into 12v for the motherboard, but I have multiple ARGB components shipped already (RGB Fan hub, RGB HSF, RGB m.2 heatsink, RGB Gpu support). 

I was thinking of buying an ARGB Hub (5v3pin hub), and I'll have the said components connected to that - then will connect the 5v3pin hub to the Deepcool Converter > to my motherboard.  

Would it work?  or I'm missing something important.

ps. the hubs and controller are connected directly to the sata PSU pins, so I'm assuming there would be no problem with the amperage etc.

On 2/10/2021 at 7:08 AM, TVwazhere said:

12vRGB/5vARGB Controllers:

SOFTWARE CONTROLLED:

5vARGB:

ARGB Aquacomputer RGBpx Splitty4 4xCorsairfans 1x nzxt

Aquacomputer RGBpx Adapter For Connecting RGBpx Components To Motherboard Headers

Aquacomputer RGBpx Adapter For Components With Motherboard Header

ARGB Aquacomputer Farbwerk Nano (Internal)

ARGB Aquacomputer Farbwerk Nano (External)

ARGB Aquacomputer Farbwerk 360

ARGB aquacomputer OCTO fan controller for PWM fans

ARGB Corsair Commander Pro

ARGB Corsair Node Pro

ARGB Corsair RGB LED Fan HUB HD/SP RGB

Corsair iCUE SP140 with Lighting Node Core (hub and node in one)

ARGB ASUS Addressable RGB Controller with Four-Ports Aura Sync Software

ARGB Thermaltake Pure Plus 12 RGB 120mm Software Enabled Circular 9 Controllable LEDs Triple Pack

ARGB TT Sync Controller TT Premium Edition

ARGB NZXT AER RGB 2

ARGB Ek loop

ARGB Airgoo Computer Fan Controller Commander - Speed Adjustable 3-pin or 4-pin fan - Include Strip PC Software

ARGB Zalman Z SYNC, ARGB Controller

ARGB Razer Chroma Addressable RGB Controller

Argb Lian-Li UNI controller

12vRGB:

RGB Aquacomputer  aquaero 6 PRO 5.25 bay

RGB Aquacomputer aquaero 6 PRO 5.25 bay silver

RGB aquaero 6 XT Black/Blue 5.25 bay

RGB aquaero 6 XT Black/red 5.25 bay

RGB Aquacomputer aquaero 6 LT

RGB Aquacomputer aquaero 5 LT

RGB Aquacomputer RGB Splitty3

RGB Aquacomputer farbwerk USB

RGB Aquacomputer Farbwerk LED Controller USB | Bluetooth Version

RGB Thermaltake  GB Tt Premium Edition 140mm Software Enabled Circular RGB Led Ring

Both 12v rgb 5v Argb:

RGB ARGB Lamptron SM436 PCI RGB and Addressable RGB Fan and LED Controller (Silver)

RGB ARGB Lamptron SM436 PCI RGB and Addressable RGB Fan and LED Controller (black)

RGB ARGB Lamptron CE420 RGB Fan and Light Controller with Touch Screen and Remote

11 hours ago, LuckySprmCell said:

I have a slightly the same problem.

So I got a converter, the deepcool.  Thing is, it only converts 1 5v3pins into 12v for the motherboard, but I have multiple ARGB components shipped already (RGB Fan hub, RGB HSF, RGB m.2 heatsink, RGB Gpu support). 

I was thinking of buying an ARGB Hub (5v3pin hub), and I'll have the said components connected to that - then will connect the 5v3pin hub to the Deepcool Converter > to my motherboard.  

Would it work?  or I'm missing something important.

ps. the hubs and controller are connected directly to the sata PSU pins, so I'm assuming there would be no problem with the amperage etc.

i dont no how deep cool pulls its power so its safe to use the powered hub your talking about to pull power form the psu instead it should work..