New SSD not showing up

Don Loong II

I bought a new 120gb ssd for my old computer cuz its gonna be used for zoom calls n stuff, i just plugged the new ssd but its not showing up in "This PC" 

Step 1: Right-click on "This PC", select "Manage". Under the Storage section, click "Disk Management".
Step 2: Right-click on the SSD partition and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths…".
Step 3: Among Add, Change, and Remove, click the "Change" button, and then select a drive letter from the list. Click "OK" to confirm.

hope this helps

how are you gonna use the ssd? as a new drive or as a boot drive.

If you still use a HDD as the boot drive you won't get any performance increase.

Youre gonna need to transfer the windows installation to the SSD to make a difference.

If not it won't do you any good.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

7 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

If you still use a HDD as the boot drive you won't get any performance increase.

Youre gonna need to transfer the windows installation to the SSD to make a difference.

Boot drive

8 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

20 minutes ago, vistanot said:

Step 1: Right-click on "This PC", select "Manage". Under the Storage section, click "Disk Management".
Step 2: Right-click on the SSD partition and select "Change Drive Letter and Paths…".
Step 3: Among Add, Change, and Remove, click the "Change" button, and then select a drive letter from the list. Click "OK" to confirm.

hope this helps

I can find it in Bios but not in dskmgmt

Just now, Don Loong II said:

I bought a new 120gb ssd for my old computer cuz its gonna be used for zoom calls n stuff, i just plugged the new ssd but its not showing up in "This PC" 

on a windows computer -

Right-click on "This PC", select "Manage". Under the Storage section, click "Disk Management"

click on the ssd (it will show up, you will see a *BLACK LINE* under the ssd part)

right click and hit, new simple volume. click next until they ask what the drive letter and the type you wan't it to be, select NTFS and select any drive letter over there...

your new ssd with appear in explorer, go back to the windows installation setup and see if you can see the ssd in in

(this rarely happens) -

if you can't see the sdd there.. open CMD in the windows installation setup, diskpart, listdisk select disk {number}, clean., create partition primary, select partition 1., active.
format fs=ntfs, assign, exit. and see for it to work, if it doesn't, please leave me a msg again... 

hey! i know to use a computer

10 minutes ago, hirusha.adikari said:

on a windows computer -

Right-click on "This PC", select "Manage". Under the Storage section, click "Disk Management"

click on the ssd (it will show up, you will see a *BLACK LINE* under the ssd part)

right click and hit, new simple volume. click next until they ask what the drive letter and the type you wan't it to be, select NTFS and select any drive letter over there...

your new ssd with appear in explorer, go back to the windows installation setup and see if you can see the ssd in in

(this rarely happens) -

if you can't see the sdd there.. open CMD in the windows installation setup, diskpart, listdisk select disk {number}, clean., create partition primary, select partition 1., active.
format fs=ntfs, assign, exit. and see for it to work, if it doesn't, please leave me a msg again... 

I opened cmd but it say this,

16121635405281688542391469419141.jpg

I opened cmd but it say this,

16121635405281688542391469419141.jpg

you have to keep a space when typing list disk!

1164415302_2021-02-0104_43_30-C__Windows_system32_diskpart_exe.png.78916406347efe0f546b9d32e9ffb042.png

6 minutes ago, hirusha.adikari said:

you have to keep a space when typing list disk!

1164415302_2021-02-0104_43_30-C__Windows_system32_diskpart_exe.png.78916406347efe0f546b9d32e9ffb042.png

Still shows by hdd not sdd

16121641274213376940668640715558.jpg

Still shows by hdd not sdd

16121641274213376940668640715558.jpg

check for it in bios, go to bios and check for it to appear in the BIOS?

if yes, you will be needing to install a linux distro (i prefer ubuntu) im very sure for you to see both the drives there... click format and sett it up in ubuntu and then install windows again! (i will guide you if you need!)

4 minutes ago, hirusha.adikari said:

check for it in bios, go to bios and check for it to appear in the BIOS?

if yes, you will be needing to install a linux distro (i prefer ubuntu) im very sure for you to see both the drives there... click format and sett it up in ubuntu and then install windows again! (i will guide you if you need!)

Its in bios

16121644565771345022759964136431.jpg

16121645547334391384751925959155.jpg

do you have a ubuntu or mint linux distro with you? live would even be fine!

i have had the same issue a couple of months ago... and i fixed it with linux and re installing windows

Do you have windows installer in hand?

Why don't you just skip the cloning since your HDD is far bigger than the SSD, you would need to backup everything on that drive, which takes longer time than it's worth.

Go ahead download windows 10 installer in MS website.

Install RUFUS, plug an 8GB thumbdrive to make the installer.

Shutdown and unplug the old HDD, boot with the thumbdrive plugged.

Go through the installation and see if the ssd listed in drive option.

After installation completed, shutdown and replug the old HDD.

Select the SSD as the main boot drive.

Now you have 2 windows, you can choose to delete the old one, but you can also keep it for backup, if ever the new one crashed / have problems.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w