Do I need to download drivers for itegrated drivers? (Ubuntu 20.10)

Go to solution Solved by Sauron,

It used to be that you'd have to install the AMDGPU driver to get better performance but now it's part of the default package so you don't need to do anything.

13 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

As far as I can tell, AMD only has 4500U drivers for Windows, not Linux.

Just because it's not on the amd product page doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Linux based systems use a repository based system to install drivers and applications so you don't need a dedicated download page.

I have an AMD Ryzen 4500U and run Ubuntu 20.10. Do I need to download drivers for the integrated GPU, and if so where do I get them from?

As far as I can tell, AMD only has 4500U drivers for Windows, not Linux. You might be able to get away without using their drivers, but if you're having issues you should probably contact their support. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

There are drivers for the gpu included in the kernel. Since its a fairly new gpu, you probably want to keep a newer kernel for a bit to get the latest updates.

It used to be that you'd have to install the AMDGPU driver to get better performance but now it's part of the default package so you don't need to do anything.

13 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

As far as I can tell, AMD only has 4500U drivers for Windows, not Linux.

Just because it's not on the amd product page doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Linux based systems use a repository based system to install drivers and applications so you don't need a dedicated download page.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Welp, you learn something new every day! Thanks for the correction. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)