Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Switching from SSD

Hello, I really have no clue what may be the answer to this. I wouldnt guess either because this would really mess things up if I do so.

If I am to install an operating system on my ssd, what should I do with the HDD. Im gonna keep it for storage purposes ofcourse. But what about the operating system in it? Should I uninstall windows 10 from the hdd? I thought maybe having an operating system in one of your hdds, while booting another OS from your main drive, would affect your PC's performance in some way. I dont know, I really wanted to know. So I'd want to uninstall the OS. 

Ill lose my files if I do so and yes backing them up is the number one Should-Do, plus I may want to rearrange my files. But another question came out.... what about my programs and games?

If I just transfer my programs into one drive, would that ruin the configurations and stuff and basically destroy them? Or would I just reconfigure them? (steam games for example)

And heres what I did to an hdd that just been sitting in my room. I installed it to my pc thinking it would be very useful for storage. But it has an operating system, I didnt bother uninstalling the system, I just deleted everything from the drive including the system files. And now Im using it as storage only. Is that alright?

Thank youu.

2 hours ago, Aaron1080p said:

thought maybe having an operating system in one of your hdds, while booting another OS from your main drive, would affect your PC's performance in some way. I dont know, I really wanted to know.

Nothing will happen, there is no performance impact. Whatever is on the hdd will should as files/folders. Windows wont load anything located on the hdd unless you tell it to.

Ill lose my files if I do so and yes backing them up is the number one Should-Do, plus I may want to rearrange my files. But another question came out.... what about my programs and games?

If I just transfer my programs into one drive, would that ruin the configurations and stuff and basically destroy them? Or would I just reconfigure them? (steam games for example)

No, program more than likely will need to be reinstalled for them to  work properly. I doubt just copying files over would work.

Steam games however should work by adding the steamapps folder located on your HDD as a steam library (Steam > Settings > Downloads > Steam Library).

I just deleted everything from the drive including the system files. And now Im using it as storage only. Is that alright?

I would format the drive to remove everything .