What's the Mac OS equivalent of speeding up a slow Windows PC?

I haven't used Mac OS for about 10 years so not too familiar with it anymore but my Dad needs help with his Mac OS machine slowing down recently (It's a 2014 iMac 5K so not too old)

e.g on Windows I would do something like:

• Check SSD(s) have been trimmed recently and defrag HDDs (or delete stuff if close to getting full)
  • Remove most startup programs in task manager.
  • Maybe run CCleaner for the sake of it.
  • Clear dust out of the machine if it's really old.
  • Malwarebytes scan
  • Update drivers.
  • Maybe just reinstall Windows.

Any tips for trying to speed up Mac OS?

Cheers.

Most likely, the storage drive that is in this system is one of those Fusion drives (SSHD) so by replacing with an SSD, the system will be much faster. This alone will speed up macOS and feel fast. Just know you should have the proper equipment to remove the screen as I believe they use adhesive to hold the screen onto the shell in the latest models. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

5 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

1. Put an SSD in it

2. Reinstall macOS via Recovery Mode

3. Make sure it's on the latest version of macOS

That's a good point. I thought there was already an SSD in it but turns out it's a "fusion" drive. Not sure if that's worth upgrading.

Just now, SpiderMan said:

Most likely, the storage drive that is in this system is one of those Fusion drives (SSHD) so by replacing with an SSD, the system will be much faster. This alone will speed up macOS and feel fast. Just know you should have the proper equipment to remove the screen as I believe they use adhesive to hold the screen onto the shell in the latest models. 

Yeah I just checked, it's a fusion drive. It's a 2014 iMac so I'm guessing the storage can't be changed without removing the display?

1 minute ago, Astroflash said:

Yeah I just checked, it's a fusion drive. It's a 2014 iMac so I'm guessing the storage can't be changed without removing the display?

Most likely that is the case, I think 2012 models and earlier can be removed easily as they were just held the glass front on with magnets, but they use double sided adhesive strips that hold the glass on. Check out iFixit's website for your model as most likely, they will have a guide showing you how to remove the display or change out the hard drive. If some steps are not clear enough, YT will be your best friend. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

4 minutes ago, Astroflash said:

No iMac since the G5 has had storage that can be changed without removing the display. The 2014 iMac has the display held on with adhesive, so it's not super easy, but it can be done. Definitely put an SSD in it, or at the very least use a USB 3 SSD as a boot drive. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Some of these things still apply on macOS if you don't want to swap out the HDD for an SSD, I would still run Malwarebytes and remove startup programs as well as running First Aid on the drive (which is about as close to an automated type of OS repair as you might get in macOS). I also tend to like Onyx for some cleaning up tasks.

But I definitely agree on the swap it out for an SSD front. Honestly hard drives aren't too difficult as long as it's just the HDD bit of the fusion drive you're replacing (no reason to replace the SSD unless it's failing and that's a much bigger pain). They sell tools pretty inexpensively online that are intended for cutting through the adhesive, and replacement adhesive as well. It's a bit nerve wracking at first, but mostly it just requires a lot of patience.

A possible quick fix here since the iMac has a Thunderbolt 2 port, you can run an SSD and boot off of that instead of the internal. There is also a way to unbind the fusion drive and 2 separate drives will show up in Disk Utilities. Then install the OS to just the SSD. Disclaimer: I've accidently unbound my fusion drive before and it's no easy task getting it back (at least in 2015 it wasn't) so if you go this route back up everything!

Apple 2021 M1 Max MacBook Pro | Apple 2021 M2 MacBook Air

Intel Hades Canyon NUC - i7-8809G, 3.10 GHz | 32 GB RAM | 512 GB + 1TB Samsung 970 EVO | Radeon Vega GH | MSI Silent Armor 1060-6GB in Sonnet eGPU. 

Intel Serpent Canyon NUC - i7-12700 | 32GB RAM 

MSI MAG B660M MORTAR | Intel i5-12600K | EVGA 3080 Ti | 64GB Corsair Dominator | 2x2TB Samsung 990 Pro SSD | 4TB Samsung 870 EVO | 2TB WD Blue SATA SSD