Ocing a 144hz panel?

Osmium

I just wonder if anyone around here has done it. I was thinking of trying to OC my monitor past 144hz but before I do I want to see if anyone has done it and what (if any) performance gains are to be had.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I just wonder if anyone around here has done it. I was thinking of trying to OC my monitor past 144hz but before I do I want to see if anyone has done it and what (if any) performance gains are to be had.

Kinda pointless to me...It won't OC much

Won't your display interface be saturated at 144hz already?

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

Kinda pointless to me...It won't OC much

Yeah I know but the way I see it is why the hell not?

Won't your display interface be saturated at 144hz already?

I am of the belief 144hz is not actually the maximum the brain can interpret so not really. Realistically I won't be able to push the frames with my GPU on any games but CS but thats 90% of what I play anyway.

Useless IMO, 144hz is already enough.

VIDEO GAMES                                  Max Power Build Log

I am of the belief 144hz is not actually the maximum the brain can interpret so not really. Realistically I won't be able to push the frames with my GPU on any games but CS but thats 90% of what I play anyway.

Actually they tested Navy pilots and they could detect a single frame outta 200..

Your specs don't really call for OCing your monitor..

Eyes dont look in frames per sec. More in spots. A brain can easily tell the difference between 10K & 1M fps.

Actually they tested Navy pilots and they could detect a single frame outta 200..

I think it is not a matter of what the eye can perceive but what the brain can interpret. Plus any frame above 144 pushed by my GPU is essentially wasted so I definitely see reason to do it. My question is if I will run into any complications doing it with this panel or if whether I will be able to do it at all.

Cause they are navy pilots also that isn't exactly how it works. If i show you video at 200fps and it's all with but one frame is black. You wil notice it. If it's similair colour you will not. 

Ive actually oc'ed my 144hz panel just for the lulz. And i only got it up 1hz :)

There is no point in doing it anyway .

Gaming Computer | Case: CM Storm Scout II | MB: Asus P8Z77-V LK | CPU: i5 2320@3,6ghz | GFX:  MSI GTX 770 Gaming | RAM: 8gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz | Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Monitor: 1x Asus VG248QE @ 144Hz , 1x Samsung SyncMaster SA300 @ 77hz OC'd 

Other Device's | Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE@OmniROM | Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1@OmniROM | Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Win 8.1

Actually they showed 200 frames and one was a certain picture and they could tell what the pic was..

And OCing multi input monitors is usually not worth the task..

Ive actually oc'ed my 144hz panel just for the lulz. And i only got it up 1hz :)

There is no point in doing it anyway .

Okay thats what I was looking for. I will try my luck later today then however I suspect 144hz panels are just binned from other monitors anyway and 144 was the biggest number most manufacturers could get to make economic sense.

Okay thats what I was looking for. I will try my luck later today then however I am just guessing 144hz panels are just binned from other monitors anyway and 144 was the biggest number most manufacturers could get to make economic sense.

Good luck !

Gaming Computer | Case: CM Storm Scout II | MB: Asus P8Z77-V LK | CPU: i5 2320@3,6ghz | GFX:  MSI GTX 770 Gaming | RAM: 8gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz | Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Monitor: 1x Asus VG248QE @ 144Hz , 1x Samsung SyncMaster SA300 @ 77hz OC'd 

Other Device's | Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE@OmniROM | Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1@OmniROM | Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Win 8.1

Also to add some monitors dont really allow you to go any higher than 5Hz, most samsung monitors pcb is locking it like my s27a750d.

Also to add some monitors dont really allow you to go any higher than 5Hz, most samsung monitors pcb is locking it like my s27a750d.

My samsung monitor can go from 60hz to 77hz!

Its a hell lot smoother now.

You can't overclock the monitor.

First of all the panel is not fast enough, and second you go over dual link DVI max resolution which is: 1920x1200 @ 120Hz (as it's 1080p, and not 1200p, you can go to 144Hz)

Like those with 2560x1440 and tried to overclock their monitor, they can't, without frame drops.

because dual link DVI is: 2560x1600 @ 60Hz. So they can get 75Hz, and with some luck with 90Hz, but usually you start seeing frame skipping. Those that reach 120Hz clearly have sever frame skip, whether they see it or not, it's a different story. I think they don't have the hardware to run their game at 120Hz solid to notice.

i would love to know, bandwidth wise what is the actual maximum. Is it really 1920x1200 @ 120 or is there a bit more to be had.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

no point on OCing that. you'll just get badder washed out colors.

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.