Fan Splitter Cable vs. Molex to Connect Case Fans?

Hello,

Currently using molex to fan cable splitter for 3 front fans. It is connected to PSU, saving me 1 fan header on the motherboard so I have 2 headers unused now.

I was told to switch to fan splitter cable so fans can be speed-controlled, making them quieter but I don't consider them to be makibg noise currently. It's not bothering me.

What else would I gain from fan splitter cable? Wouldn't it wear out front fans faster than molex connection?

first of all look at this pinout diagram

If the fan connector is wired to the 12v side of the plug then the fans will be running at 100%. This will do more of this 'damage' you've been told about than running through the motherboard header.  If they're wired to the 5v side they'll be fine. Are the fans themselves PWM (4 Pin) or Voltage controlled (3 pin)?  If they're 3 pin i wouldn't bother with a new splitter.  4 pin ones I would but i'd only get a 4 pin splitter.  That's only if the motherboard header was 4 pin also.

ATX-connector.jpg

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

I use a simple 5v/7v/12v Molex powered controller to run my 4x Panaflo 120x38 intakes in my Meshify C. Its just a 3 position switch. I normally run them at 7v, I only turn them up to 12v to feed my TY143 when I know its going to ramp up. I run my exhausts separately because my main rear is a 24v fan that runs nice and quiet at 12v, and I have a 92x35 that needs a very tight leash with an LNA due to it being a 4000RPM fan.. that just happens to be stronger than my TY143 lol.

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

4 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

All you gain from a fan splitter cable is fan speed monitoring and fan speed control, but that's it.

Is fan speed control automatic by motherboard?

There's no drawbacks if you are happy with current setup. Using controls won't have any significant effect on lifetime of a fan.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv