Are my temps normal on a ryzen 5 3600?

BornOrca

I get around 70-85 degrees when playing rust, the highest temps i see it reach is 90 degrees. It only spikes up to the 80 for a second then goes back down. I'm using the stock cooler. (Wraith stealth) Are these normal temps? I have the cooler master q300l case which is well known for having bad temps. And are these temperatures safe?

Safe, yes. Anything about 80c however is quite high.

I'd definitely get an aftermarket cooler like a Noctua NHU12s

With the Noctua the highest it ever gets ( on a stress test or gaming is about 69c )

14 minutes ago, BornOrca said:

I get around 70-85 degrees when playing rust, the highest temps i see it reach is 90 degrees. It only spikes up to the 80 for a second then goes back down. I'm using the stock cooler. (Wraith stealth) Are these normal temps? I have the cooler master q300l case which is well known for having bad temps. And are these temperatures safe?

Thanks 🙂

I have an overclocked 1600af (basically a 2600) and temps would easily reach 80-90C with the stock cooler. I 'upgraded' to an AMD prism and it sits fairly comfortably in the mid 60's, occasionally reaching 70C during gaming.

There are better cooling options than the prism, but personally I would look at better cooling. I wouldn't feel comfortable with those temps. My entire PC would crash as soon as it reached 90C, so I assume your 3600 is at least throttling at 90C

1 minute ago, steelo said:

I have an overclocked 1600af (basically a 2600) and temps would easily reach 80-90C with the stock cooler. I 'upgraded' to an AMD prism and it sits fairly comfortably in the mid 60's, occasionally reaching 70C.

There are better cooling options than the prism, but personally I would look at better cooling. I wouldn't feel comfortable with those temps =(

OK, I'm not noticing any performance degrading in my games, will it be safe though? 

5 minutes ago, venomx said:

Safe, yes. Anything about 80c however is quite high.

I'd definitely get an aftermarket cooler like a Noctua NHU12s

With the Noctua the highest it ever gets ( on a stress test or gaming is about 69c )

OK, it's so weird though when I check the graph most of the time it is 73 degrees. But there's the odd spike to around 80 or 85 degrees every 30 seconds or so, it also happens when I alt tab. Is this OK? 

Just now, BornOrca said:

OK, it's so weird though when I check the graph most of the time it is 73 degrees. But there's the odd spike to around 80 or 85 degrees every 30 seconds or so, it also happens when I alt tab. Is this OK? 

You could try repasting the thermal paste, if not then get a better cooler ?

8 minutes ago, BornOrca said:

OK, I'm not noticing any performance degrading in my games, will it be safe though? 

I just looked it up on google and 95C is max (it may be for my cpu as well, I can't remember). Personally, I'd invest in better cooling or at least verify that the cooler is mounted correctly and try reapplying thermal paste. If you're not overclocked, you shouldn't have temps that high, even with the stock cooler...

How many fans do you have installed in your case? do you have inlet and outlet fans? I've had thermal issues with my wifes PC that only had 1 inlet fan and no exhaust fans. I've since added one of each and temps are now 10-15C cooler.

4 minutes ago, steelo said:

I just looked it up on google and 95C is max (it may be for my cpu as well, I can't remember). Personally, I'd invest in better cooling or at least verify that the cooler is mounted correctly and try reapplying thermal paste. If you're not overclocked, you shouldn't have temps that high, even with the stock cooler...

How many fans do you have installed in your case? do you have inlet and outlet fans?

I only have one exhaust fan to be fair in my case, I could always install another one, I have a spare from my old pc case. 

One more thing too, when I installed my cpu I realised the stock cooler was the wrong way round, so I had to unscrew it and put It back on, this was all in the space of 2 minutes. I didn't have any extra thermal paste so I couldn't reapply. Is that OK? 

6 minutes ago, venomx said:

You could try repasting the thermal paste, if not then get a better cooler ?

OK, I don't really have the money for that at the moment I kinda went all out on my pc, so I might wait until my birthday. 

1 minute ago, BornOrca said:

OK, I don't really have the money for that at the moment I kinda went all out on my pc, so I might wait until my birthday. 

I don't know what your case looks like, but if it doesn't have sufficient cooling, that can be a big problem. Case fans are typically really cheap (around $10 or so) It definitely wouldn't hurt anything.

edit: It sounds like you only have an exhaust fan which really isn't enough. I'd invest in an inlet fan (if your case allows it)

1 minute ago, steelo said:

I don't know what your case looks like, but if it doesn't have sufficient cooling, that can be a big problem. Case fans are typically really cheap (around $10 or so) It definitely wouldn't hurt anything

OK, I have a spare intake fan so I'll install that. All I know is my case isn't the best for airflow. 

2 minutes ago, BornOrca said:

OK, I have a spare intake fan so I'll install that. All I know is my case isn't the best for airflow. 

It may not make a huge difference but maybe it will at least keep the CPU temperature to sane levels until you can verify the CPU cooler is enough.

Worse comes to worse you can keep the side cover off and see if that helps until you can figure it out.

3 minutes ago, steelo said:

It may not make a huge difference but maybe it will at least keep the CPU temperature to sane levels until you can verify the CPU cooler is enough.

Worse comes to worse you can keep the side cover off and see if that helps until you can figure it out.

ok great thanks, one last question tho when I installed my CPU though I realised my cooler was mounted incorrectly, so I had to flip it, I couldn't reapply the thermal paste though, cause I didnt have any spare. This all happened in the space of 2 minutes. Would have my temps been affected by this>

3 minutes ago, BornOrca said:

ok great thanks, one last question tho when I installed my CPU though I realised my cooler was mounted incorrectly, so I had to flip it, I couldn't reapply the thermal paste though, cause I didnt have any spare. This all happened in the space of 2 minutes. Would have my temps been affected by this>

It's always good habit to reapply thermal paste whenever you remove the cooler. I would clean all of the old paste off with isopropyl alcohol and reapply new paste whenever you're able to buy it.

Just now, steelo said:

It's always good habit to reapply thermal paste whenever you remove the cooler. I would clean all of the old paste off with isopropyl alcohol for good measure and reapply new paste whenever you're financially able.

ok great, thanks for all your help 🙂

This forum always gives such great advice lol

3 minutes ago, BornOrca said:

ok great, thanks for all your help 🙂

This forum always gives such great advice lol

Just please do not do this until you have the new paste in hand...LOL

Never, ever run your CPU without thermal compound! It will burn up within a minute... Not that I've ever tried or anything...LOL

1 hour ago, steelo said:

Just please do not do this until you have the new paste in hand...LOL

Never, ever run your CPU without thermal compound! It will burn up within a minute... Not that I've ever tried or anything...LOL

Sorry, just installed the new intake fan and not much has changed. Rust now runs at 70 degrees spiking back up to 85 still. However one thing I found interesting was when I ran cinebench I got a consistent temperature of 92-93 degrees. What should I do? My case is the coolermaster q300l and I've mounted one exhaust fan (noctua fan) and one intake (Stock fan), what's the best approach to take now, I feel that 90 degrees is a tad bit too hot for comfort lol.

the stock heatsink isnt very good, my 3600 would reach 85c in just a few minutes under full load and i then replaced the heatsink with a cooler master 212 and the temps went down to 70c

3 minutes ago, invision2212 said:

the stock cooler and fan isnt very good, my 3600 would reach 85c in just a few minutes under full load and i then replaced the cooler with a cooler master 212 and the temps went down to 70c

ok thats weird. I kinda hate the stock cooler cuz its super loud, I'm considering buying a coolermaster 212 too due to its affordability. My parents were kind and offered to buy me a new cpu fan, would you recommend it? Whats your temps when running cinebench?