Heard about Haswell refresh, worth buying a Z87 Mobo?

Hi all!

I just heard about the Haswell refresh, but I was about to build my new system, and now I don't know what to do D:

Should I wait? or are the Haswell refresh chips going to work with Z87 platforms?

Also, something big for me, with the refresh is it still going to be about the "silicone lottery" or something different?

Should I just go for the build I was planning on building? (4670k + Z87M Gaming)

Any insight would be much appreciated!

Hi all!

I just heard about the Haswell refresh, but I was about to build my new system, and now I don't know what to do D:

Should I wait? or are the Haswell refresh chips going to work with Z87 platforms?

Also, something big for me, with the refresh is it still going to be about the "silicone lottery" or something different?

Should I just go for the build I was planning on building? (4670k + Z87M Gaming)

Any insight would be much appreciated!

if you have a decent rig now which can handle games on Low-medium wait for Broadwell (end of this year) and buy a i5 form there

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

From everything mentioned so far, the Haswell refresh will be only supported by z97 (which in turn will also support Broadwell). So if you can wait a few more months, stick it out.

if you have a decent rig now which can handle games on Low-medium wait for Broadwell (end of this year) and buy a i5 form there

Yeah that's the thing, I don't, and I don't mind waiting a bit, but when will the new Haswell refresh be out? June? July? I don't wanna wait too long, plus prices won't be that great either, but I guess a couple more months wait is a couple more paychecks :D So money shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Yeah that's the thing, I don't, and I don't mind waiting a bit, but when will the new Haswell refresh be out? June? July? I don't wanna wait too long, plus prices won't be that great either, but I guess a couple more months wait is a couple more paychecks :D So money shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I would not recommend them. They look strange on some way, especially the names on them, On the leaks i have not seen any K version of them.

Just wait a bit to tthe new i5 5670k, Z97 board. Damn is not that attractive?

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

The new chips will be using LGA1150 so will likely work with Z87 boards.  The Z97 boards are being released a few months before the refreshed chips are released they will support Haswell also. The chips are still silicon so of course silicon lottery is still a factor.

I would not recommend them. They look strange on some way, especially the names on them, On the leaks i have not seen any K version of them.

Just wait a bit to tthe new i5 5670k, Z97 board. Damn is not that attractive?

That does sound attractive, but Broadwell isn't gonna be release til late 2014 to early-mid 2015. I could get a temporary rig and hold out til them.

Wait, and buy a z97 board.

When is the estimated time of z97 boards? and most importantly, the new CPU's? :P

When is the estimated time of z97 boards? and most importantly, the new CPU's? :P

From what I've read chips coming second half of 2014, boards April-June. 

I wouldn't wait that long not going to be anything too revolutionary.

That does sound attractive, but Broadwell isn't gonna be release til late 2014 to early-mid 2015. I could get a temporary rig and hold out til them.2015

2015 NOPE. Intel always release everyone a desktop CPU, I am 10000% sure it will as latest come in november

From what I've read chips coming second half of 2014, boards April-May. 

But will the Z97 boards at least have me covered for broadwell? Will it use the same chipset?

2015 NOPE. Intel always release everyone a desktop CPU, I am 10000% sure it will as latest come in november

Oh ok, but still, it's still a stretch to wait til november for my rig just cause of the CPU :P

But will the Z97 boards at least have me covered for broadwell? Will it use the same chipset?

Probably seeing as they'll be using the same same socket. 

But lets say you buy a Z97 board and one of these Haswell refresh chips.  You're not going to want to upgrade to a Broadwell chip the percentage increase in performance just wont be there to justify it.

The way I see it you have 2 options

1) Buy a Z87 board and 4670k

2) Z97/Z87 board and a Haswell refresh chip unconfirmed whether the refresh chips will run on Z87 but would surprise me if they didn't

Either one is fine.

From what I've read chips coming second half of 2014, boards April-June. 

Ahh Something new to buy for my birthday coming up.... April 21st

Struggling with this myself. 
Being CPU bottlenecked like crazy at the moment with a crappy AMD A8-3870K and a GTX770. 
I've been putting off a new CPU for quite awhile but i'm at the point where i'm ready to just grab a 4770K and be done with it. 
That being said, the better overclocking potential on the refresh does sound quite nice. 

Project: Rock Lobster = Completed Click for Build Log 
INTEL CORE I7 4790K @4.6ghz | 2 x Windforce R9 290's CF | CORSAIR H110i |Samsung EVO 500GB SSD, Sandisk 128GB SSD| WD 3TB Green, Seagate 2TB |

|Asus Maximus 7 Ranger  | Windows 7 | Corsair 450D Case |

get the 4670k rig now

you can wait but the newer cpus are not really gonna be much faster 

expect 10% diffrence

The only time I would really say wait for new stuff is if you are the kind of person who buys titans or if it is less than 2 months from release. Otherwise just get best thing you can afford at the time and be happy

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.