US Military says Drone Zerg Rushes may be Overpowered

rcmaehl

Summary

US Army Generals are reporting that drone swarms may be too much for a human to counter.

Media
Swarm of drones

Quotes

Head of Army Futures Command, told a webinar audience at the Center for Strategic & International Studies that humans may not be able to fight swarms of enemy drones. "When you are defending against a drone swarm, a human may be required to make that first decision, but I am just not sure any human can keep up". The Pentagon’s rules on the use of autonomous weapons... require meaningful human control over any lethal system, though that may be in a supervisory role rather than direct control – termed ‘human-on-the-loop’ rather than ‘human-in-the-loop.’  Pentagon leaders need to lead a discussion on how much human control of AI is needed to be safe but still effective. Military swarms of a few hundred drones have already been demonstrated, in future we are likely to see swarms of thousands, or more. One U.S. Navy project envisages having to counter up to a million drones at once. The U.S. Army is spending a billion dollars on new air defense vehicles known as IM-SHORAD with cannon, two types of missile, jammers, and future options of laser and interceptor drones. Using the right weapon against the right target at the right time will be vital. Faced with large numbers of incoming threats, many of which may be decoys, human gunners are likely to be overtaxed. This is not the first time that the Army Future Command... suggested that humans... may be outclassed. AI is in the ascendant. The 5-0 victory over a human pilot in a virtual dogfight last August is still being debated, but there is no doubting that machines have faster reflexes,... ability to keep track of several things at once, and are not troubled by the fatigue or fear. There is the military argument. If AI-controlled weapons can defeat those operated by humans, then whoever has the AIs will win and failing to deploy them means accepting defeat.

My thoughts

OMG CHINA I SAID NO ZERG RUSH 5 MINUTES. Regardless, it's interesting to see how robotics is changing warfare. Perhaps, in the future we'll have to study how gamers have previously defended against hypothetical attacks and implement them in a more realistic way. I'm sure that within the next few years, some countries will have a space weapon.

Sources

Forbes (Quote Source)

Military.com

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I remember the PLA have some kind of 40mm SAM designed to hit drones.

Also

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

Yeah it is quite interesting to see how the internet is changing war. 

11 minutes ago, williamcll said:

I remember the PLA have some kind of 40mm SAM designed to hit drones.

Also

10/10 entertainment

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

I'm sure a swarm of drones is susceptible to the same things a swarm of people are.  Anti-aircraft flak will solve those problems.   

More technology isn't always the answer.  Sometimes the simple things will screw up technology pretty quick and for very cheap.

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD 

7 minutes ago, TargetDron3 said:

I'm sure a swarm of drones is susceptible to the same things a swarm of people are.  Anti-aircraft flak will solve those problems.   

More technology isn't always the answer.  Sometimes the simple things will screw up technology pretty quick and for very cheap.

Yeah, a CWIS gun on a naval vessel can do some nice damage to a flock of birds. 

Seems like this is the same issue. 

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

9 minutes ago, TargetDron3 said:

1 minute ago, Jason 57 said:

Yeah, a CWIS gun on a naval vessel can do some nice damage to a flock of birds. 

Seems like this is the same issue. 

the problem with these is they're unsafe to use on low flying aircraft and/or drones. 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Create focused/controlled EMP blasts/blasters

Those things cant fly in a faraday cage.  

But yeah my 12ga wont be able to stop a swarm.

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 minute ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

the problem with these is they're unsafe to use on low flying aircraft and/or drones. 

Well the CWIS isn't normally put to full AUTO. As much as I can remember. 

When my ship did it, it was just happenstance that they were performing maintenance on that mount, and the seagulls were there. 

Funny we had chicken for dinner???? LOL

My 2020 Upgrade: CPU: Ryzen 5 3600; MB: MSI X570 Tomohawk WiFi; Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600 MHz; Case: Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance; PSU: Corsair RM550X 80+ Gold; Storage: WD Blue 500GB SSD; Seagate 4TB Compute HDD; Monitor: GIGABYTE G34WQC 34" 144Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, 3440 x 1440 VA 1500R Display

Previous Components Still Using: GPU: MSI GTX 1070 (bought Used); Storage: WD 3TB Green HDD,WD 1TB Black HDD, SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB

Previous Monitor I want to VESA mount: LG 29UB55-B 29" Ultrawide 1080p 60Hz IPS

Actually, going out and shooting this tomorrow morning now has more relevance than ever.

image.png.84e39200c8897dfbefad2f2b389a9205.png

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Wifes Rig: ASRock B550m Riptide, Ryzen 5 5600X, Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6700 XT, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker RAM, ARESGAME AGS 850w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750, 500gb Crucial m.2, DIYPC MA01-G case

My Rig: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Daughter 1 Rig: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) Patriot Viper CL14 2666mhz RAM, Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case. 

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Daughter 2 Rig: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire Nitro+ R9 Fury Tri-X, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case

1 hour ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

If you are being attacked, safe is gone. You do what you need to do to survive. 

Main Computer: CPU - Ryzen 5 5900x Cooler - NZXT Kraken x53  RAM - 32GB Corsairsrair Vengeance Pro GPU - Zotac RTX 3070 Case - Lian Li LanCool II RGB (White) Storage - 1TB Inland Premium M.2 SSD and 2x WD 2TB Black.

Backup Computer: CPU - Ryzen 7 3700x Cooler - CoolerMaster ML240 V2 RAM - 32GB G.Skill RipJaws GPU - Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE Case - Cougar QBX Storage - 500GB WD Black M.2 SSD 

I remember it being called a blitzkrieg

Anyways, electronic jamming would be the primary method. Essentially, you either interrupt remote communications or you overpower the electronics to force them into malfunctioning. If they're AI flown with GPS, you either jam or spoof GPS signaling.

3 hours ago, lostcattears said:

signal jamming what else would they do.

If they are running without a controller and are 100% autonomous then a signal jammer will do nothing. 

2 hours ago, Tristerin said:

Create focused/controlled EMP blasts/blasters

Those things cant fly in a faraday cage.  

But yeah my 12ga wont be able to stop a swarm.

Well what about 2 12ga? Or maybe a swarm of 12ga? Or maybe a swarm of harpoons?

9 hours ago, StDragon said:

I remember it being called a blitzkrieg

blitzkrieg is something entirely different, blitzkrieg is a war tactic that rely on penetrating with a head of forces, then allowing others to fall in behind you fortifying your grounds and providing ample supply of cargo, ammo, and replenishments, there's quite a few videos explaining it on youtube. 

11 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

Lasers are probably the best option.

laser systems are not yet sophisticated or advanced enough to deal with large swarms of drones, lockheed martin and boeing has their systems, but it would take multiple hundreds of the lasers to be able to take care of a drone swarm. while this may be the future, it certainly won't be very soon. EMP's would work, due to blocking out EMP with coatings would also block out all outer control, assuming they are controlled by actual people and not AI inside of the drone itself. The downside to EMP's though is the possible damage to other electronics, sure if there's a drone attack it may be better to kill electronics than risk lives, but there's other ways that would minimize loses. 

1. small ~40mm proximity detonation flak shells would work.
2. net guns, as silly as it sounds, you can jam a rather large net in a 40mm shell. a few higher RPM 40mm AA guns and you're set

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

7 hours ago, whm1974 said:

Do they make DU pellets or DU Slugs for Shotguns? What about Flecetts?

Who needs a shotgun when a Phalanx CIWS can fire 4500 rounds per minute of 20mm DU?

Fun times we live in.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

22 hours ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

Um what. That was the default AAA for most of WW2 you know. it's perfectly safe provided they're not flying over civillians or your own troops. And the later case your allready in trouble.

28 minutes ago, Sakuriru said:

As for small arms fire or anti-aircraft  weaponry that's kind of the point of using a lot of drones. You'll overwhelm and kill any threats with numbers before they can destroy any meaningful amount of them. But it's just not as easy as you'd think.

Not really. A proper medium calibre automatic with the right sensor and software packages firing proximity fused flak would decimate entire swarms in a few seconds. Most naval warships these days have somthing very much like this for use against low flying aircraft and small patrol boats that missiles might struggle with. Not to mention various dedicated CIWS setups.

The reason the pentagon is losing it's shit over this ii that the US army, (along with most of the rest of the world's land armies), phased things like that out of land service a long time ago. They rely on, (for the US), a mixture Stingers, and Bradley/Abrams main guns under FCS control. Neither the Abrams nor the Stingers really have the Rate of Fire for this at all, and the Bradley doesn't really have the RoF or the software to be great at it. It's also arguably a little on the small side calibre wise limiting it's effective range.

It's a solvable problem, but one that will require new dedicated SPAA vehicles. Something thats been not been part of the US armies arsenal for a fair few decades.

20 hours ago, StDragon said:

electronic jamming would be the primary method

What's with everyone thinking you can disable drones that easily using jamming/EMP devices and whatnot.

May I remind you that essentially any vehicle/aircraft contains electronics, and it's not like those get taken out in action on the battlefield all the time using EMP devices.

You know what their secret trick is? It's called a metal box.

5 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

Who needs a shotgun when a Phalanx CIWS can fire 4500 rounds per minute of 20mm DU?

I was referring to low flying small groups of drones. Shotguns are common Civilian Hunting and Sporting Weapon. And there is Steel Shot, but I think that is Mild Steel and not AP at all.

7 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

I was referring to low flying small groups of drones. Shotguns are common Civilian Hunting and Sporting Weapon. And there is Steel Shot, but I think that is Mild Steel and not AP at all.

ok.  A volume of fire is still going to be better than a shotgun or airburst munition.

Phalanx CIWS Close-in Weapon System In Action - US Navy's Deadly Autocannon - YouTube