Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sony Vegas Pro & GPU Acceleration

Geekazoid

Hi guys,

I want to bring up an issue that those who use SVP will realise is quite a big problem. This issue revolves around the fact that Sony Vegas Pro 12 doesn't support the GTX 600 and GTX 700 series of GPUs, well at least not properly anyway, and as a result performance suffers in many areas of Sony Vegas pro 12, specifically rendering. The reason for this problem is because of the fact that "apparently" GPU acceleration for Sony Vegas Pro 12 was optimised/created/built for NVIDIA's Fermi architecture and so the architecture following that, being Kepler, wasn't going to perform well because of this optimisation for the previous architecture.

This has made it difficult for some, including myself, to choose a Sony Vegas Pro optimised GPU because the GTX 600 and 700 series are both based on Kepler and they both have this rather annoying limitation when it comes to performance in SVP.

This then begs the question, will NVIDIA's upcoming Maxwell architecture get fully optimised support in Sony Vegas Pro via an update of some sort or will we have to wait for Sony Vegas Pro 13 for the GTX 800 series as well as the newly release GTX 750/750'Ti to get full support in this video editing software?

What are your thoughts on this guys, please share them, would love to read them. :D

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

Maybe it's because you have a crack that has modified files :/

Maybe it's because you have a crack that has modified files :/

No, this is a well known problem that many users have complained about and has got nothing to do with modified files of which I have not touched.

No, this is a well known problem that many users have complained about and has got nothing to do with modified files of which I have not touched.

I have never seen this issue do you have and thing up to date if you have a crack it may cause this

I have never seen this issue do you have and thing up to date if you have a crack it may cause this

No I have no crack at all. I have done lots of research on this and it is a well known problem that wasn't just caused by some crack. Not to be rude but maybe you need to google this so that you can understand exactly what I'm talking about.

I have had Fermi and Kepler cards and this has never been an issue my current card is a crap ton better than my Fermi 570. I can render a video fine and it normally takes half the video time in Vegas.

No I have no crack at all. I have done lots of research on this and it is a well known problem that wasn't just caused by some crack. Not to be rude but maybe you need to google this so that you can understand exactly what I'm talking about.

I'm trying to get you to state if you have a crack or not, and yes some cracks can break certain thing in Vegas

I have had Fermi and Kepler cards and this has never been an issue my current card is a crap ton better than my Fermi 570. I can render a video fine and it normally takes half the video time in Vegas.

Well that's rather interesting, what Kepler card are you using?

I have a 760 in my work computer, a ASUS GeForce GTX 760 2GB to be exact, and SVP(12.0 build 367 64bit) works flawlessly.

Have you tried the latest driver? And which build of SVP 12 are you using?

Well that's rather interesting, what Kepler card are you using?

I used a 670 before I got the 780 TI.

I'm trying to get you to state if you have a crack or not, and yes some cracks can break certain thing in Vegas

To be perfectly honest with you both I actually am not running Sony Vegas Pro 12 but 10 and I also only have a NVIDIA GT 430, however this thread was started merely to reiterate these concerns regarding what I talked about in my OP. You see, I'll be doing a build around November this year at the earliest and I had concerns that the GTX 770 that I currently have selected with my build won't work too well in Sony Vegas pro 12 of which I'm looking to upgrade to around the same time. Sorry to not clear this up to begin with.

To be perfectly honest with you both I actually am not running Sony Vegas Pro 12 but 10 and I also only have a NVIDIA GT 430, however this thread was started merely to reiterate these concerns regarding what I talked about in my OP. You see, I'll be doing a build around November this year at the earliest and I had concerns that the GTX 770 that I currently have selected with my build won't work too well in Sony Vegas pro 12 of which I'm looking to upgrade to around the same time. Sorry to not clear this up to begin with.

My 770 works with Vegas 12 but the performance improvement over just rendering on my i7-3770k @ 4.7 ghz is minimal. Vegas doesn't use very much GPU% even when being told to render to GPU only. It seems like performance varies somewhat based on what encoder you are using to render as well. 

You may see a large improvement using GPU over CPU if you're using a 3570k or something without hyperthreading since video rendering is apparently the one main area the 3770k beats the 3570k. 

CPU - 3770k @ 4.7GHz | Motherboard - Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB @ 1600 | GPU - EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX (2x SLI) | Case - Coolermaster HAF XM | Cooling - CM EVO 212 | Storage - Corsair Force 3 90GB | WD 2TB x 2 | PSU - Thermaltake SMART 850W | Display - Asus VG248QE 144hz + GSYNC kit |  Mouse - R.A.T. 7 | Sound - Creative Titanium X-FI HD | DT990 | ATH-M50 | ATH-AD700

I have a 760 in my work computer, a ASUS GeForce GTX 760 2GB to be exact, and SVP(12.0 build 367 64bit) works flawlessly.

Have you tried the latest driver? And which build of SVP 12 are you using?

I used a 670 before I got the 780 TI.

Really? You guys aren't having any performance issues? Then maybe it's been fixed, maybe Sony finally got their act together and fixed it. That's really awesome. Well thanks guys for alleviate my concerns. This is good to know. Sorry if I seem over excited but what I had stated above had been a problem for quite some time. Well this is good news then. Thanks guys. :D

EDIT: Hmm...I think I spoke too soon. :(

EDIT: Hmm...I think I spoke too soon. :(

Me too. I haven't used SVP that much after I upgraded both my work computer and home computer.

Tested SVP 12 (build 367, not the latest) with both my Geforce cards, 760 and 780, and I couldn't get SVP to use the GPU. I thought SVP did use the GPU properly, but because I rarely produce videos, I just didn't notice the GPU wasn't being utilized. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if I'm experiencing the exact same problem as you describe in your opening post.

So sorry if I have mislead you. So, with my build of SVP, this problem is probably not fixed. And I don't know if a newer build have corrected this problem. 

I'm messing around with the different settings, and doing some performance tests on my 780.

CUDA:           3:26 (+/- 10 sec, depending on the settings)

CPU(4770k): 4:03

Not great numbers I'm afraid   :(

Do note that you apparently have to use Sony AVC as the encoder in order to get any benefit from your GPU. If you're using one of the other encoders you may not be getting any GPU usage at all. However even with Sony AVC & following all the tips I've managed to gather from the web about how to get it working I still only get about 30% gpu usage and the difference in rendering time vs my 3770k is pretty minor. 

CPU - 3770k @ 4.7GHz | Motherboard - Asrock Z77 Extreme4 | RAM - Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB @ 1600 | GPU - EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX (2x SLI) | Case - Coolermaster HAF XM | Cooling - CM EVO 212 | Storage - Corsair Force 3 90GB | WD 2TB x 2 | PSU - Thermaltake SMART 850W | Display - Asus VG248QE 144hz + GSYNC kit |  Mouse - R.A.T. 7 | Sound - Creative Titanium X-FI HD | DT990 | ATH-M50 | ATH-AD700

Do note that you apparently have to use Sony AVC as the encoder in order to get any benefit from your GPU. If you're using one of the other encoders you may not be getting any GPU usage at all. However even with Sony AVC & following all the tips I've managed to gather from the web about how to get it working I still only get about 30% gpu usage and the difference in rendering time vs my 3770k is pretty minor. 

That's my experience also. And it doesn't look like Sony are planning to do anything about it, at least not before the next version. Which should be on the horizon, I'm guessing towards the end of this year. A new version is long overdue.

That's my experience also. And it doesn't look like Sony are planning to do anything about it, at least not before the next version. Which should be on the horizon, I'm guessing towards the end of this year. A new version is long overdue.

I have used Sony Vegas Pro 12 with my GT 430, despite it being a much weaker GPU, and it was using about 986MB of my 1024MB or 1GB of vRAM just whilst playing back my project. I don't know what architecture it users but it obviously was being utilised quite a bit.

I really hope Sony fix this issue for the GTX 600 and GTX 700 series in the next version and also make Sony Vegas Pro 13 utilise the Maxwell GTX 800 series GPUs.