Least favourite album from your most favourite band?

Radium_Angel

Every band, given a long enough discography, releases a clunker (or two, or three or...., see everything post-reformation of Iron Maiden for a prime example) whether it be from line-up changes, shifting musical winds, or simply running out of steam.

Of your favourite band(s) what was their misstep?

For me, it's Celtic Frost's "Monotheist" supposedly their comeback album. The trouble is, while CF concentrated on writing monster riffs and getting huge tones from the instruments, they forgot to make the songs go anywhere and as a result, it just sort of plods along, lacking any of the quirky charms of "Morbid Tales" or the big-brass sounds of "To Mega Therion" or even the bold experimentation of "Cold Lake" (I will still defend that album as brilliant) 

No, instead it just sort of moves from one song to another, massive crushing riffs that don't do anything or mesh together to tell a cohesive story. Tom and crew also commit the (to me) unforgivable sin of slowing down. They were never speed metal, indeed the best description I could give of them to a newcomer, is avant-garde metal, but they keep the songs under control, and kept the pace up so you were never bored. Monotheist puts a halt to all that and moves with all the sped of a steamroller and it just never seems to end

For dis-honourable mention, it's everything after "Operation Mindcrime" by Queensryche, but let's face the truth, after that masterpiece, they could only go but down, but dam guys, that album came out in 1988 nearly 30 years ago, and you haven't put out a good album since.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

see i'd love to join in here but i actually can't remember any album i've heard where i can remember more than 50% of the songs.

i guess i'd have to say: The Big Picture by Elton John since i generally like many of the songs but that one only has one song (something about the way you look tonight) that i can actually remember.

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

2 minutes ago, flashiling said:

see i'd love to join in here but i actually can't remember any album i've heard where i can remember more than 50% of the songs.

i guess i'd have to say: The Big Picture by Elton John since i generally like many of the songs but that one only has one song (something about the way you look tonight) that i can actually remember.

And that's a good point as well: To me, music is like art, you either love it or hate it, but if it's boring (or forgettable) then that is a cardinal sin.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I don't have a top favourite band currently, just a lot of great bands. But if I had to choose one, it'd be Taking Over - Overkill. It's nothing compared to Feel the Fire.

6 hours ago, JimbolikesWaffles said:

I don't have a top favourite band currently, just a lot of great bands. But if I had to choose one, it'd be Taking Over - Overkill. It's nothing compared to Feel the Fire.

Their first four albums were fantastic, mainly due to their original guitarist writing them, but you could see the slow slide from Feel the Fire downward. After Years of Decay...well, I stopped listening to them because they lost the magic. SO I understand where you are coming from

St. Anger - Metallica. This one is a popularly hated album so I thought I'd mention it, even though Metallica isn't my all time favourite.

Not my favourite band nowadays, but at the time, Metallica - Load. A couple of good songs does not an album make. The previous album was the sign of things to come and the first sign of zero Burton influence. A broken band, too focussed on mainstream, rather than peer approval, and doing what they do best. Can't fault Jason. he did the best he could with a bad situation (i.e. being made quiet on Justice album). He deserved to be part of S&M, arguably the band's best live work up to that point.

Load, Reload...I think I got them, but was not impressed. Didn't bother with the rest. The first four albums are Metallica. The rest are a bunch of guys playing in a band. Their live stuff of their old material is usually good these days though. They've sobered up, and the Trujillo gave them new energy, but the best Metallica is gone.

~ Gaming since 1980 ~

PassMark | UserBench

Ram It Down - Judas Priest 

Yeah it worse than those two albums with Ripper Owens. 

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

I listen to whatever I'm in the mood for. Lately it's been jazz. I like to listen in to WRTI.org because they have no ads other than "this classical concert happening in two weeks, buy tickets here" and they barely talk too. They just play classical and jazz nonstop and I love it. That said, I also will listen to deathcore, dubstep, old country, ANYTHING I damn well please. I just like all genres.

I don't really have a favourite band or artist. I mean, I do have those that I like (and those that I don't) but I don't think there's whole ass albums that I don't like at all. Individual songs, sure. But there's songs from artists I don't care for that I even like. Guess I'm just an outlier 🤷‍♀️

7 hours ago, umugumu said:

St. Anger - Metallica. This one is a popularly hated album so I thought I'd mention it, even though Metallica isn't my all time favourite.

As I grow older I like St Anger more. I think the drums kill it for a lot of people, and I agree it can be overbearing.

I have like, 3 pillar bands. Tool it'd be 10000 days, but its still a decent album. I just wasn't a huge fan of it beginning to end. Chevelle would probably be their most recent, The North Corridor. Was not a fan. New albums singles are pretty good. Deftones, Gore. Just wasn't my thing. Ohms is good though.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

The Astonishing from Dream Theater. For some reason i couldn't click with any of the songs in that album. Not even one and that album got like 30+ new songs. 🤷🏻‍♀️

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

"father of all motherfuckers" -green day.

sure this isn't my absolute favorite band, but it's on of my favorites, I like a few songs from this album, but it's overall not great and not what the fan base was expecting or wanted, major disappointment. 

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

8 hours ago, camieabz said:

Not my favourite band nowadays, but at the time, Metallica - Load. A couple of good songs does not an album make. The previous album was the sign of things to come and the first sign of zero Burton influence. A broken band, too focussed on mainstream, rather than peer approval, and doing what they do best. Can't fault Jason. he did the best he could with a bad situation (i.e. being made quiet on Justice album). He deserved to be part of S&M, arguably the band's best live work up to that point.

Load, Reload...I think I got them, but was not impressed. Didn't bother with the rest. The first four albums are Metallica. The rest are a bunch of guys playing in a band. Their live stuff of their old material is usually good these days though. They've sobered up, and the Trujillo gave them new energy, but the best Metallica is gone.

You are the only other person (besides myself) that has put this into words. Metallica died with Cliff. I bought "and justice for all", gave it a few spins, and promptly went back to their original works.

Personal opinion here: Trujillo was better in Suicidal Tendencies

6 hours ago, vetali said:

As I grow older I like St Anger more. I think the drums kill it for a lot of people, and I agree it can be overbearing.

2019 live versions are pretty fucking great

I'm a big Twenty One Pilots fan.

Their latest 3 albums were amazing, but their OG album, Twenty One Pilots, itsn't as good as the rest

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

1 hour ago, wall03 said:

I'm a big Twenty One Pilots fan.

Their latest 3 albums were amazing, but their OG album, Twenty One Pilots, itsn't as good as the rest

That's funny I was about to say the same thing when I clicked on this thread.

I also used to like Marshmello, but starting with Joytime 3 his music just isn't the same anymore. He spends way too much time focusing on collabs instead of sticking to the style of music that made him popular in the first place.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Underworld's Barking.

I'd say it's still a good album, but it was basically one big collaboration ("Scribble" above was a team-up with High Contrast) that didn't feel as, well, Underworldy as the rest of their work. Not as many memorable tracks.

I do have a soft spot for it in that it's the most recent album with tracks I've seen performed live ("Between Stars"). Underworld is a group that puts on truly special concerts. It's worth going if you like dance music... well, once concerts are a thing again.

3 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

2019 live versions are pretty fucking great

I didn't know they played St Anger live recently. Sounded great.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Evil Empire is the weakest Rage Against the Machine Album, and I even considered the Live and Rare and Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium. 

8 minutes ago, vetali said:

I didn't know they played St Anger live recently. Sounded great.

So far I only know of St Anger and Frantic, dunno if they played any others, haven't looked.

On 1/31/2021 at 10:12 PM, Radium_Angel said:

Personal opinion here: Trujillo was better in Suicidal Tendencies

I would like to use IT corporate jargon to demonstrate his switch to Metallica.

Imagine talented developer in the company (Suicidal + Infectious Grooves) being promoted to the managerial position (Metallica). Money is much better at the new position and you don't have to work as hard  on your development (bass playing) skills as before. This is how I see this situation where he is playing much easier tunes than before. TBH I would do the same thing in his place.

Also speaking of Metallica IMHO Justice was their peak. Even Lars playing was spot on on that album. If only he didn't delete bass tracks it would be the perfect album in every way possible.

2 minutes ago, Niksa said:

I would like to use IT corporate jargon to demonstrate his switch to Metallica.

Imagine talented developer in the company (Suicidal + Infectious Grooves) being promoted to the managerial position (Metallica). Money is much better at the new position and you don't have to work as hard  on your development (bass playing) skills as before. This is how I see this situation where he is playing much easier tunes than before. TBH I would do the same thing in his place.

Also speaking of Metallica IMHO Justice was their peak. Even Lars playing was spot on on that album. If only he didn't delete bass tracks it would be the perfect album in every way possible.

I get it, I just don't think he's better there. More money? Sure. Easier time? Perhaps. But a better player because of it? Personal Opinion: nope.

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

I get it, I just don't think he's better there. More money? Sure. Easier time? Perhaps. But a better player because of it? Personal Opinion: nope.

Lots of people are saying that he is too good for them. That's the whole thing I tried to explain with my IT example. As soon as you go to management in IT your engineering skills will not be as great. I am just seeing his situation as a promotion. Yes, it won't make him better player in terms of skills, however his current position is well rewarded and he worked damn hard if you ask me to deserve it. 

Kill 'Em All/Ride The Lightning - Metallica. Good songs, terrible production, as a result I can't stand the studio versions of those songs, but enjoy them live.

The X-Factor/Virtual XI - Iron Maiden. Wasn't a Blaze Bayley fan, so I've just steered clear of those albums.

All Hope Is Gone - Slipknot. Admittedly I quite like this album these days, but it's still my least favourite Slipknot album.

There's plenty of bands I love that have trash albums.

Case: Ncase M1 V5 Black CPU: Intel Core i5 12600 MB: AORUS Z690i RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 SSD: WD SN770 500GB | WD SN750 250GB

Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra 8GB PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum Fans: Noctua NF-F12x 2 | Noctua NF-A9x14

Porcupine Tree - On the Sunday of Life (not likeable even ironically)

Iron Maiden - No Prayer for the Dying (worse than the Blaze Bayley albums)

Judas Priest - Ram It Down (worse than the Ripper Owens albums)

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti