Mi Air Charge - Xiaomi introduces technology that allows to charge phones remotely in a ~5m radius

XenorPLxx

Summary
Xiaomi unveiled technology that will allow to charge your phones (and other devices in future) not only wirelessly, but truly remotely. It consists of a base station that includes multiple antennas for locating the device and sending energy remotely and a miniaturized antenna array that can be built into the phone to help with locating the device and receive the energy.

Mi-Air-Charge-1.png

Quotes

(...) Xiaomi remote charging technology is capable of 5-watt remote charging for a single device within a radius of several meters. Apart from that, multiple devices can also be charged at the same time (each device supports 5 watts), and even physical obstacles do not reduce the charging efficiency. 

My thoughts

For now this seems more like a concept than a true device, there's no data on when it will be available and how much will it cost, but they say that technology already works. I definitely want one.

Sources

https://blog.mi.com/en/2021/01/29/forget-about-cables-and-charging-stands-with-revolutionary-mi-air-charge-technology/

5W doesn't seem like a lot, but honestly 80% of the time I'm awake is spent in 5m radius, so if it's charging faster than I'm discharging my batteries, I'm in.

Interesting. I would mainly be interested in the efficiency, since even inductive charging is quite inefficient.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

Linus tested something similar that was ceiling mountable and replaced the light in the room. That one charged devices in a different way by shooting a focused beam from ceiling down and had to be without obstructions (which is why ceiling mount was preferred).

Also I hope phones that support this feature have battery charge limiter. I'd hate to have my phone at 100% charge entire time. I'd prefer to lock it to 50% or 80%.

It's certainly interesting tech and I wonder how it'll evolve in the future...

8 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Linus tested something similar that was ceiling mountable and replaced the light in the room. (...)

Oh, I've never seen the video with the ceiling mountable charger, thanks for the info :).
https://www.youtube.com/watch/YeNXRD8eziA

I wish they would stop pushing wireless charging, it's just a stupid idea. It's wildly inefficient and barely any more convenient than its wired counterpart.

Also I would be surprised if this ends up working as intended, the physics are just not in its favor.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

That will be the future of a smart house. That way, you won't need to charge anything by yourself, so we'll see smart bins ( I know they already exist), smart curtains, doors, light switches (that are not plugged to anything so you can put them everywhere). It is a necessary step forward

but imagine the amount of popcorn I can bake.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

3 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

That will be the future of a smart house. That way, you won't need to charge anything by yourself, so we'll see smart bins ( I know they already exist), smart curtains, doors, light switches (that are not plugged to anything so you can put them everywhere). It is a necessary step forward

Oh man, I didn't even think about IoT applications. I'm currently struggling with choosing smart shades automation, as it's either 'swap batteries every month' option or 'plug it in a socket and have a cable out' option, both are not optimal. I'd love to just be able to power those remotely.

35 minutes ago, XenorPLxx said:

Oh man, I didn't even think about IoT applications. I'm currently struggling with choosing smart shades automation, as it's either 'swap batteries every month' option or 'plug it in a socket and have a cable out' option, both are not optimal. I'd love to just be able to power those remotely.

For now, you could rout the cable though the wall and install a outlet into the wall.

You woykdg have to do some work to get the outlet into the wall, but it would be doable.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

For now, you could rout the cable though the wall and install a outlet into the wall.

You woykdg have to do some work to get the outlet into the wall, but it would be doable.

Oh, I'm in Europe. We have concrete walls here :D. It'd basically mean redoing the whole wall if I want to hide the cables.

17 minutes ago, XenorPLxx said:

Oh, I'm in Europe. We have concrete walls here :D. It'd basically mean redoing the whole wall if I want to hide the cables.

Oh, well that's not going to work lol. Good luck

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Sauron said:

I wish they would stop pushing wireless charging, it's just a stupid idea. It's wildly inefficient and barely any more convenient than its wired counterpart.

it might be right now, but that doesn't mean it wont evolve and mature into a much better technology

hi

Something like this would be neat. Hopefully battery tech evolves already though.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

25 minutes ago, germgoatz said:

it might be right now, but that doesn't mean it wont evolve and mature into a much better technology

No, it won't. It's impossible to get anywhere near the efficiency of a cabled solution. This isn't a technological limit, it's a physical limit.

No matter how much you improve cars they'll never reach even a thousandth of the speed of light because that would be physically impossible, even just because of air drag. This is like that. There MUST be significant energy waste for wireless charging to work. There are edge cases where it's necessary to transmit power wirelessly and of course at that point some energy waste is acceptable - phones are not one of those cases.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

It's nothing new,Wireless power transmission has been around since the 1800s.

The reason it didn't succeed was it's extreme inefficiency and cost.

Today we use that technology for the wireless transmission of data,if it's radio,cellular,WI-Fi and more.

Xiaomi can't eliminate the inefficiency since it's a limitation of wireless power transmission.

4 hours ago, XenorPLxx said:

It consists of a base station that includes multiple antennas for locating the device and sending energy remotely and a miniaturized antenna array that can be built into the phone to help with locating the device and receive the energy.

This will help with efficiency,but as i said before wireless power transmission is still very inefficient even with all of those antennas.

It may be convenient,but it's wasteful,expensive and slow.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

Qi/PMA wireless chargers are known to be inefficient, what makes them think that this somehow solves it? This is why Apple is not yet killing the lightning port in this year’s iPhone. 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

33 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Hah, I was just going to post this same thing since I literally finished watching this like 30 seconds ago 😅

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Love that 69% charge on the phone, nice 😉

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

On 1/29/2021 at 4:52 AM, NeuesTestament said:

I wonder how efficient the end product will be in case it ever comes out.

only judging by the size of the box, im thinking it'll be stupid inefficient. like 30-40 watts to get 5watts @ the endpoint 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

11 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

My previous comment mentioned most of points that Dave mentioned,

But it's good to hear from an engineer about it in detail.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566