Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Xeon Phi what is it?

It's a co-processor used for computing similar to how a cpu and gpu works together.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Parallel processing 

Its an alternative to something like Nvidia Tesla GPU

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Power.

That's what it is.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

Power.

That's what it is.

No, I promise you that thing can't max out BF4... or anything at all.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

That's not even close to the only definition of power...

This is like a "helping" CPU in your PCIe socket. It has to be programmed for very specific tasks, so is not something general consumers should even think about. For example, a service like YouTube could buy these and develop a compression algorithm that can use them. Or Pixar could use them for rendering.

For extreme rendering tasks, imagine a cluster array with something like 128 nodes (computers, essentially) linked up all working on one task with 128/ 256 CPUs and 3x Xeon Phis in each. Note that I don't know of any phis being used like this, it's only an example for context.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

That's not even close to the only definition of power...

I know what it is and what it is for however most people around here are gamers and measure power in "fps". Other people might measure it in "hash" or others could measure it in clock speeds.

But anyway back on topic overall I always was under the impression these were here really only to have a foothold in the workstation/rendering market but overall they were not quite as good as Nvidia or AMD's linup in the workstation market. Although I very well could be wrong on that.

I know what it is and what it is for however most people around here are gamers and measure power in "fps". Other people might measure it in "hash" or others could measure it in clock speeds.

It could also be interpreted as power consumption.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Is that what I said it could do? I know what a Xeon Phi is.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

It could also be interpreted as power consumption.

Well people don't measure horsepower by fuel consumption so I wouldn't measure a processor's power in it's power consumption :P

It's a bunch of Ivy Bridge cores on a card. When you write a multithreaded program, you don't have to change the way you program, unlike with GPUs where you have to use a library. The extra threads can be serviced by the Xeon Phi cores.

Here's a build with a Xeon Phi from Teksyndicate

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I wonder if its  good for bitcoin mining :P

EDIT:Actually that would be a good linustech episode :P