PC isn't turning on

Ayush K

I was playing gta v on my pc just this afternoon, turned it off after a while. Now I turn it on,it doesn't say anything. Power led turns off as soon as I press the power button. What is the problem? It doesn't even show a postcode or beep or anything.

What are the full specs? I would guess PSU.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

6 minutes ago, Ayush K said:

I was playing gta v on my pc just this afternoon, turned it off after a while. Now I turn it on,it doesn't say anything. Power led turns off as soon as I press the power button. What is the problem? It doesn't even show a postcode or beep or anything.

Clear ALL of the power from the system. Turn off PSU, hold down PC power-button for 10-15 seconds. Let go of the power button and turn on the PSU. Then turn on PC. Should be fixed. If now, I would guess PSU.

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

What are the full specs? I would guess PSU.

PSU is thermaltake toughpower grand 750w

Gpu- MSI Gaming Z Trio RTX 2070 Super

Cpu- Ryzen 7 3800x

Motherboard- Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master 

Ram- G.skill Trident Z Royal

Just now, MarvintheParrot said:

Clear ALL of the power from the system. Turn off PSU, hold down PC power-button for 10-15 seconds. Let go of the power button and turn on the PSU. Then turn on PC. Should be fixed. If now, I would guess PSU.

Already did it like 10 times or so

Just now, Ayush K said:

PSU is thermaltake toughpower grand 750w

Gpu- MSI Gaming Z Trio RTX 2070 Super

Cpu- Ryzen 7 3800x

Motherboard- Gigabyte Aorus X570 Master 

Ram- G.skill Trident Z Royal

Can you try clearing CMOS? I don't think it'll work but it's worth trying.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Can you try clearing CMOS? I don't think it'll work but it's worth trying.

Did it just now but no luck. That didn't turn it off tho

1 minute ago, Ayush K said:

Did it just now but no luck. That didn't turn it off tho

Disconnect the drives attached and leave only one stick of memory in, remove the others if you have more than one. See if the computer posts. If it still doesn't and continues to power-cycle, it possibly something motherboard related. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

2 minutes ago, Analog said:

Disconnect the drives attached and leave only one stick of memory in, remove the others if you have more than one. See if the computer posts. If it still doesn't and continues to power-cycle, it possibly something motherboard related. 

Tried that too, only one drive attached and used both ram sticks one at a time. That didn't work either. Is it a power supply issue?

Edit: Tried both ssds separately too, no luck.

hey man I'm not that technical with computers but looking at your spec it sounds like you have a custom built, so check if everything is plugged in.

1 minute ago, MotoTheMasher said:

hey man I'm not that technical with computers but looking at your spec it sounds like you have a custom built, so check if everything is plugged in.

My pc was working fine, built it three months ago with no issues. Today is the first time I've had an issue with it. But still I have changed the cables but got nothing. 

22 minutes ago, Ayush K said:

If it turns on for a split second, then off that's probably a psu short. Check if you can hear ticking from the unit

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

It doesn't make a tick sound but it makes a  r-r-r-r sound when the led is on, and it gets completely silent when I press the power button. 

6 minutes ago, piratemonkey said:

If it turns on for a split second, then off that's probably a psu short. Check if you can hear ticking from the unit

Forgot to quote you

It does sound like a power supply issue,return the power supply to the store.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

52 minutes ago, Ayush K said:

It doesn't make a tick sound but it makes a  r-r-r-r sound when the led is on, and it gets completely silent when I press the power button. 

Check the fan. If it turns on with the led then off, it's got sure a psu issue. You might be able to get it rma'd. My evga (I think) unit was able to get replaced when it broke

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

10 hours ago, piratemonkey said:

Check the fan. If it turns on with the led then off, it's got sure a psu issue. You might be able to get it rma'd. My evga (I think) unit was able to get replaced when it broke

No fan or led turns on, neither the PSU one not the case or aio ones. Just the power button on the motherboard lights up and that light turns off too when I press the power button. What's rma by the way?

10 hours ago, Vishera said:

It does sound like a power supply issue,return the power supply to the store.

I have given the details to thermaltake and the site says they will get back to me in 7 business days so for now I can just wait.

9 hours ago, Ayush K said:

I have given the details to thermaltake and the site says they will get back to me in 7 business days so for now I can just wait.

Remove the power supply from the system completely and jump the 24 pin connectors. See if that spins the PSU fan as long as it doesn’t have the zero fan feature. You could also try plugging in some dummy devices... like if you had a case fan or water pump with a molex or Sata adapter. Just to see if it will power them.

If you do need to wait for a replacement, depending on your situation, I typically just buy a new unit out of pocket. When the replacement shows up, I keep it as a back up or sell it. 

Edited by 1982 Original

15 hours ago, 1982 Original said:

Remove the power supply from the system completely and jump the 24 pin connectors. See if that spins the PSU fan as long as it doesn’t have the zero fan feature. You could also try plugging in some dummy devices... like if you had a case fan or water pump with a molex or Sata adapter. Just to see if it will power them.

If you do need to wait for a replacement, depending on your situation, I typically just buy a new unit out of pocket. When the replacement shows up, I keep it as a back up or sell it. 

Wait how do I 'jump' the 24 pin connector? It does not start when I plug in the case fans. And yeah I am also thinking of buying a Corsair power supply this time.

On 1/29/2021 at 6:11 PM, 1982 Original said:

I jumped the power supply as you said and the power supply turned on and its RGB and fan and the case fans' RGB all are working fine. So what next? Coz PSU does not seem to be an issue here and the pc is still not booting.IMG20210130130757.thumb.jpg.7941cc5ed4e6b16fce80f5c0b29ad684.jpg