RX 550? Is it worth it?

HSAnonymous

Hi Guys, I am building a budget PC for a friend, and he needed a budget PC. It is for his son who mainly needs it for school and to play some games, such as GTAv, Fortnite, Rocket League and Fortnite. Will the RX 550 be able to handle those games @ 40 Fps + . I know it will handle GTA V around 40, but the others - will it handle 50-60 FPS +. Also, the CPU is a 10100F. 

Many Thanks. Also for RGB Fans, is there some sort of software I need to change the fans. The fans are Gamemax Velocity RGB Fans. 

1 minute ago, GoodEnough said:

if it can handle gta v, chances are it can handle the others perfectly fine 

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate it. Yeah, that has to be true, because GTA is more demanding than any of those games.

6 minutes ago, HSAnonymous said:

Also do you have any tips for the RGB Fans question

depends on the motherboard i think, msi and asus motherboards shouldnt have an issue, while gigabyte you may need an adapter, but thats for controlling the fans. the rgb itself should be powered by the motherboard regardless of which one you have

I have the ASRock H410M - HVS MATx Motherboard - What would I require to change fans colours

That card will hande THOSE GAMES ok.

Is it worth it? NO.

A used RX570 is WAAAY better than that.

I'm talking about double the frame rate.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

9 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

That card will hande THOSE GAMES ok.

Is it worth it? NO.

A used RX570 is WAAAY better than that.

I'm talking about double the frame rate.

Thanks for the reply - I can't get a used GPU for my friend - he needs a all new pc. But I'll ask him about that. Also do you have any tips for my RGB Fan question. 

I have the Gamemax Velocity RGB Fan. 

I also have the ASRock H410M-HVS Motherboard

1 hour ago, HSAnonymous said:

Many Thanks. Also for RGB Fans, is there some sort of software I need to change the fans. The fans are Gamemax Velocity RGB Fans. 

When you say fans, did you get the 3-pack with the LED strip? if so the speed is controlled by the hub and the RF remote control that is included in the box. when you connect the hub into the motherboard you will need to change the fan settings from PWM to Voltage in the BIOS as they are 3-Pin fans. As for the RGB, the fans are compatible with aura sync by ASUS i'm not sure about other Addressable RGB software. i'm sure if you motherboard has an ARGB header im sure it will work, if not you can always control the colours with the RF remote. From my experience these fans look good, are reasonable quiet and are a good price. Hopefully this was helpful!

Here is a link for the fan - it is a single gamemax velocity fan. Here is the full list  :  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

https://www.cclonline.com/product/291587/DUAL-ARGB-KAB-01A-/Chassis-Case-Fans/GameMax-Velocity-120mm-Rainbow-ARGB-Fan/CLR2001/?siteID=8BacdVP0GFs-8Y1yrvuW0qtEIU9hWQyhfA

Check my list out and I would appreciate if you can explain what I would have to do to get the software (if any software is needed) or how to get this RF Remote you are talking about? I am a bit confused! Also for any software, how do I set it up? 

Many Thanks for your time

The RX 550 is on the same performance level with a GT 1030 

It can probably run GTA V at 720p or something like that, at reasonable fps.  Probably won't do 1080p and 40 fps unless you go low quality settings.

@mariushm 

I checked on Userbenchmark and it gave me High Settings  @1080p - 45 FPS 

Also thanks for the input. Do you have any tips for the RGB Fan question. Check my previous post for the part list.

Here are the question I have

What software do I need to change the RGB Fans colour? 

Do I need software or do I need some sort of remote?

If I need a remote, how do I get that working. 

Also, I have seen in the website that it comes with a few cables - where do these cables go and what are they for. I know one goes into the fan chassis section, but am unsure about the others

2 hours ago, HSAnonymous said:

Hi Guys, I am building a budget PC for a friend, and he needed a budget PC. It is for his son who mainly needs it for school and to play some games, such as GTAv, Fortnite, Rocket League and Fortnite. Will the RX 550 be able to handle those games @ 40 Fps + . I know it will handle GTA V around 40, but the others - will it handle 50-60 FPS +. Also, the CPU is a 10100F. 

I have a RX 560X and it is able to play - 
GTA V - Low - 65FPS, Med- 60FPS, High-55FPS, Ultra-35FPS
Far Cty 3 - Ultra - 65FPS
Just Cause 3 - Ultra - 55FPS

And RX 550 is very much equal to 560X cause 560X is a laptop GPU

13 minutes ago, HSAnonymous said:

Here is a link for the fan - it is a single gamemax velocity fan. Here is the full list  :  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/

https://www.cclonline.com/product/291587/DUAL-ARGB-KAB-01A-/Chassis-Case-Fans/GameMax-Velocity-120mm-Rainbow-ARGB-Fan/CLR2001/?siteID=8BacdVP0GFs-8Y1yrvuW0qtEIU9hWQyhfA

Check my list out and I would appreciate if you can explain what I would have to do to get the software (if any software is needed) or how to get this RF Remote you are talking about? I am a bit confused! Also for any software, how do I set it up? 

Many Thanks for your time

Sorry that link is just a general link to pcpartpicker, if you use the link just above your CPU choice i will be able to see your list. 

as for the fan, I don think your your motherboard has an ARGB header meaning you wont be able to control RGB fans from software on your computer. the triple set of fans I was on about would be these:

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Fans+%26+Cooling/Fans/RGB+Case+Fans/GameMax+ARGB+3-In-1+Fan+Kit+-+GMX+KIT?productId=72106

These are the ones i have.

6 minutes ago, CaptA380 said:

I have a RX 560X and it is able to play - 
GTA V - Low - 65FPS, Med- 60FPS, High-55FPS, Ultra-35FPS
Far Cty 3 - Ultra - 65FPS
Just Cause 3 - Ultra - 55FPS

And RX 550 is very much equal to 560X cause 560X is a laptop GPU

Thanks for that - it really helps!

4 minutes ago, Chorne said:

Sorry that link is just a general link to pcpartpicker, if you use the link just above your CPU choice i will be able to see your list. 

as for the fan, I don think your your motherboard has an ARGB header meaning you wont be able to control RGB fans from software on your computer. the triple set of fans I was on about would be these:

https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Components/Fans+%26+Cooling/Fans/RGB+Case+Fans/GameMax+ARGB+3-In-1+Fan+Kit+-+GMX+KIT?productId=72106

These are the ones i have.

-

26 minutes ago, HSAnonymous said:

your does already have a rear exhaust fan which will probably be enough. from looking at your motherboard on the ASROCK website, it doesn't look like its got an RGB header so you wont be able to use anything RGB in the case that is controlled by the motherboard. i think you can get around this by buying a RGB controller that sticks in the case somewhere but i'm not quite certain on what is required to do this. sorry, that's all that i know.

Does this mean when powered on, the fan lights will not come on but the fan will spin. Or that the fan and lights will come on, but I can't change the colour of the lights? 

Also, what about the RGB Lights for the case - (please check the pc part picker list) - I see that it has an LED Button on the top - Would I use this to change the colour, for the case?

Thanks for the reply aswell - I will check the RGB Controller and how that works or if anyone else can provide some input, it would be much appreciated.

1 minute ago, HSAnonymous said:

Does this mean when powered on, the fan lights will not come on but the fan will spin. Or that the fan and lights will come on, but I can't change the colour of the lights? 

Also, what about the RGB Lights for the case - (please check the pc part picker list) - I see that it has an LED Button on the top - Would I use this to change the colour, for the case?

Thanks for the reply aswell - I will check the RGB Controller and how that works or if anyone else can provide some input, it would be much appreciated.

RGB fans have one cable that connects to the motherboard which will cause it to spin and one other cable that connects to an RGB header on the motherboard which means you can control the LEDs of the fans. As your motherboard does not have an ARGB header the fan will spin but will not be able to control the colours. The fan will robably light up but you have no way of controlling it. As for the case, im guessing the RGB on the front will be controlled by the case but i dont know how it will work. 

16 minutes ago, Chorne said:

RGB fans have one cable that connects to the motherboard which will cause it to spin and one other cable that connects to an RGB header on the motherboard which means you can control the LEDs of the fans. As your motherboard does not have an ARGB header the fan will spin but will not be able to control the colours. The fan will robably light up but you have no way of controlling it. As for the case, im guessing the RGB on the front will be controlled by the case but i dont know how it will work. 

Thanks man! I really appreciate it for the help! I probably will check online some more and might change the mobo, and get one with argb header. Thanks a lot