Tesla Model S has 10 Teraflops of pure processing power!

DISCLAIMER: I do not know if this is really "news" or not, but I could not find a forum post about this yet, so I thought let's post it.

Summary

The Tesla Model S has 10 Teraflops of gaming power according to Elon Musk's Twitter posts and the official Tesla Website, which makes it nearly as powerful as the PS5 with a little over 10 Teraflops. Apperantly it can play Cyberpunk 2077 and other AAA games like The Witcher 3 and similar. The car has 3 screens in total with the main screen in the front having a resolution of 2200x1300 at 17"

Quotes

image.thumb.png.eb2d5d0ca542a4222b58be32d629039e.png

Source: Model S | Tesla

It also is the currently fastest 0-60mph accelerating car which is being mass produced.

image.png.e31c3af52d5874f5e5413a574be00ca9.png

Source: Elon Musk auf Twitter: "Plaid Model S ships next month https://t.co/HFUPTnQiPB" / Twitter

My Opinion:

I think this is maybe a little overkill... If it can play a few games for waiting like 15 minutes for someone - great. But really? 10 Teraflops? This is in my opionion just too overkill and using too much battery life, but if you truly are a car and gamer enthusiast and can afford it - why not?

Sources

Model S | Tesla

Elon Musk auf Twitter: "Plaid Model S ships next month https://t.co/HFUPTnQiPB" / Twitter

EDIT: Just an add on to my opinion: If the Tesla needs the power for the self driving algorithms - it is of course not overkill. Although I wonder how much Teraflops the other self driving tesla models have.

Edited by JohanKjeldahl7

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

5 minutes ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

I think this is maybe a little overkill... If it can play a few games for waiting like 15 minutes for someone - great. But really? 10 Teraflops? This is in my opionion just too overkill and using too much battery life, but if you truly are a car and gamer enthusiast and can afford it - why not?

Is all of that compute power just gaming only? I'm pretty sure most of this hardware is designed to run the algorithms for self driving and computer vision and whatnot.

2 minutes ago, Rugg said:

Is all of that compute power just gaming only? I'm pretty sure most of this hardware is designed to run the algorithms for self driving and computer vision and whatnot.

Yes, I guess you can't play Cyberpunk at full framerate while self driving the car, but if you are standing stil it should put all your power into the game. I think there might even be a no possibility to play games or watch content on the screen  in the front while driving, that would be much too dangerous. 

EDIT: I just wanted to add, I could not find any infos on why it has this much power or if you can game and drive at once at all, this is just my thoughts on this.

Edited by JohanKjeldahl7

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

1 minute ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

Yes, I guess you can't play Cyberpunk at full framerate while self driving the car, but if you are standing stil it should put all your power into the game. I think there might even be a no possibility to play games or watch content on the screen  in the front while driving, that would be much too dangerous. 

There's noooo way that would be legal

2 minutes ago, Rugg said:

There's noooo way that would be legal

Yes I think so too. Maybe the back seat screen, which the driver can not see, you can watch some movies or similar. But other than that - probably nothing allowed. Btw - I changed the title to "processing power" instead of "gaming power" because as you said - it is probably more for the self driving/parking algorithms

2 minutes ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

Maybe the back seat screen, which the driver can not see, you can watch some movies or similar. But other than that - probably nothing allowed.

I think most cars that have displays enable it for passengers in the back always and then if it has a front screen it only works when you are parked or it has some other restriction on it. That would probably be fine for Tesla.

10 TFLOPS would put it on a par with the PS5, and about half that of a 3070, if we assume they're measuring the same way. Is there essentially a Windows PC in there? Or is it an Xbox on wheels? What platforms are Cyberpunk 2077 available on?

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

What if it's actually just using GeForce Now 🤠

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

14 minutes ago, porina said:

10 TFLOPS would put it on a par with the PS5, and about half that of a 3070, if we assume they're measuring the same way. Is there essentially a Windows PC in there? Or is it an Xbox on wheels? What platforms are Cyberpunk 2077 available on?

Well I guess it has to be some sort of x86 plattform with at least 8 threads. Cyberpunk runs with 8 threads and it is getting advertised with it so I guess they will have a (at least, probably more) 8 thread processor in it. I unfortenately do not have any more information on what exactly the hardware/brand is. But I am sure we will get more infos about this pretty soon...

15 minutes ago, IronSoldier said:

What if it's actually just using GeForce Now 🤠

That would be quite interesting to see. Although with 10 TFLOPS it would probably be a 1000 series or a 2000 series since the 3000 series has more than 10 TFLOPS on its own without the CPU etc.

EDIT: Addon: This would also explain all the GPU shortages. Elon bought all of them.

Edited by JohanKjeldahl7

1 minute ago, cj09beira said:

their interiors are still atrocious 

Do you mean the aesthetics or the build quality?

1 minute ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

Do you mean the aesthetics or the build quality?

mostly the design, dont like how it looks, too minimalist, the lack of physical buttons for the most important things, etc

4 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

mostly the design, dont like how it looks, too minimalist, the lack of physical buttons for the most important things, etc

I sort of disagree with you, becasue I really do thing minimalist looks great, but god that steering wheel and lack of stalks. I'm really not able to imagine how both of those are good ideas in any sort of scenario

7 minutes ago, cj09beira said:

1 minute ago, RedRound2 said:

I sort of disagree with you, becasue I really do thing minimalist looks great, but god that steering wheel and lack of stalks. I'm really not able to imagine how both of those are good ideas in any sort of scenario

Of course the minimalistic design as well as the stering wheel is based on your personal preference. I also don't really know if I would like to drive with this steering wheel. Would have to try it out...

3 hours ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

the computational power is needed for all those self driving algorithms

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

But can it run CRYSIS??

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

57 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

the computational power is needed for all those self driving algorithms

Yes a few people mentioned that... I edited it to the original post. Quite interesting to see how much power it takes to self drive...

25 minutes ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

But can it run CRYSIS??

No. BUT IT CAN DRIVE CRYSIS! I am very sorry for this very bad joke but I couldn't hold back...

27 minutes ago, Dillpickle23422 said:

But can it run CRYSIS??

theoretically Yes

Hi

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

hi

56 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

theoretically Yes

56 minutes ago, Drama Lama said:

theoretically Yes

oh boy you know what this means, elon now has to price it at $69,420, to incorporate all the memes

please tag me for a response, It's really hard to keep tabs on every thread I reply to. thanks!!

58 minutes ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

No. BUT IT CAN DRIVE CRYSIS! I am very sorry for this very bad joke but I couldn't hold back...

ah yes, i love driving crysis

6 hours ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

My Opinion:

I think this is maybe a little overkill... If it can play a few games for waiting like 15 minutes for someone - great. But really? 10 Teraflops? This is in my opinion just too overkill and using too much battery life, but if you truly are a car and gamer enthusiast and can afford it - why not?

While it is used for the onboard computers for autopilot I think AP computers are adjacent from other interior tech