Hot News? More Like... HWInfo64 Now Shows Hot VRAM for RTX 3080/3090!

3 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I'm gonna try and place some fans on top of backplate to see if it affects VRAM temps since backplate is contacting PCB on other side of VRAMs. If there will be a measurable effect I might do something funky and stick some chipset heatsinks on top of backplate where it's contacting VRAMs.

Please report how it goes. Interested on doing the same if it has any effect.

7 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I'm gonna try and place some fans on top of backplate to see if it affects VRAM temps since backplate is contacting PCB on other side of VRAMs. If there will be a measurable effect I might do something funky and stick some chipset heatsinks on top of backplate where it's contacting VRAMs.

fan blowing on mine prevents throttle but still 110c, so it definitely helps

though maybe to a lesser degree for 3080, since there's a PCB in between

one quick way to find out is to touch the backplate, if it's burning to the touch then it means there's significant amount of heat that's being transferred there and having additional cooling would probably help

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

1 hour ago, HenrySalayne said:

How long does it have to reach this speed? Forever? 1 s? 1/10 s? How long does your CPU hits its maximum boost clock while doing AVX workloads? Exactly.

This is a loaded question my friend, one that you cannot proclaim "exactly" on. Boost conditions are largely dictated by your board these days. If thermals are kept in check, boards can impose unlimited current/power limits as well as boost durations. If your board doesn't apply a negative AVX offset, it will maintain maximum boost during this condition. If you think this is thermally impossible, know that I've personally maintained a 5.2ghz overclock under the hottest AVX stress available (Linpack MKL) on an 8700K with a 1260mm CPU only loop. It's most definitely possible. I don't believe in AVX offsets because I don't like taking the easy way out under more stressful testing conditions, but that is a matter of personal preference.

If we compare the 5950X I just got, it maintains a turbo boost that is higher than the advertised clocks under the same AVX load, albeit lower than peak boost, but that is more so a current limitation, definitely not a thermal limitation. 1260mm radiator with 18 fans in a CPU only loop, thermals are seldom ever a concern. Base clock is 3.4ghz, I can maintain a 4.4ghz boost under the same Linpack MKL testing using stock values dictated by my board. If I choose to use PBO with CO, I can pump those numbers up to 4.8 under AVX, 5.1 under certain gaming loads. Power/Current is the real limitation for this situation.

If you are throttling below base advertised speeds under normal operating conditions, I'd say it's a cause for concern. Now it's up to the masses to determine what "normal operating conditions" are, lol.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

1 hour ago, MageTank said:

Boost conditions are largely dictated by your board these days.

This

Case in point -

6 hours ago, Moonzy said:

fan blowing on mine prevents throttle but still 110c, so it definitely helps

Are there any thermal pads between the backplate and the memory on the back of the card?

29 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Are there any thermal pads between the backplate and the memory on the back of the card?

That's a backplate of my card (ASUS RTX 3080 TUF, mine's not OC though). There seems to be pads, not 100% sure if they are on memory though?

image.thumb.png.447c5213ae6368be3251b5e83924d288.png

Link to Youtube: 

2 hours ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Haven't did a teardown but supposedly mine have heatpipes to assist the heat transfer on the back

image.thumb.png.f545b141db7a7247526b84ccc217217d.png

It is burning to the touch so at least I know it's receiving the heat, but probably lacks the area to dissipate 60W of heat from half of the VRAM, which consumes about 120W in total

12 hours ago, Massey_Ferguson said:

That's a backplate of my card (ASUS RTX 3080 TUF, mine's not OC though). There seems to be pads, not 100% sure if they are on memory though?
-snip-

Link to Youtube: 

-snip-

Looks like it's set up to transfer heat to the backplate.

10 hours ago, Moonzy said:

Haven't did a teardown but supposedly mine have heatpipes to assist the heat transfer on the back

-snip-

It is burning to the touch so at least I know it's receiving the heat, but probably lacks the area to dissipate 60W of heat from half of the VRAM, which consumes about 120W in total

Hm. And you said a fan doesn't help? Just stops throttling? I wonder if any grooves for surface area would've helped.

5 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Hm. And you said a fan doesn't help? Just stops throttling? I wonder if any grooves for surface area would've helped.

It stops the throttling but still 110c yes

I'm thinking of adding small SMD heatsinks on it, but my card is vertically positioned so it's a bit harder

Warranty voiding is also a concern for me

3 hours ago, Moonzy said:

It stops the throttling but still 110c yes

I'm thinking of adding small SMD heatsinks on it, but my card is vertically positioned so it's a bit harder

Warranty voiding is also a concern for me

Stick on heatsinks shouldn't void your warranty since you aren't modding or opening up the card afaik.

Well, I put a small Delta 60mm fan on the backplate and shaved off 2°C when playing Dead Space 3 with ray tracing on top of it. So my memory is running at more comfy 90°C.

I have some chipset heatsinks. I'm gonna slap that on the backplate and add fans to it 😄

On 2/1/2021 at 11:03 AM, Moonzy said:

The design should be capable of handling full load under any circumstances.

Hi, please note that all RTX 30 series graphics cards are designed for gaming, not for mining. Subsequently any workload lesser than gaming workload is acceptable, and any greater workload has special models such as the Quadro series specifically for the job.

Please note that an RTX 30 series graphics card bricking, breaking or otherwise functioning abnormally while mining is NOT a surprise, but an expected result, as games do not place such intense prolonged load on the GPU. 

Thank you for your understanding!

10 minutes ago, Rym said:

Hi, please note that all RTX 30 series graphics cards are designed for gaming, not for mining. Subsequently any workload lesser than gaming workload is acceptable, and any greater workload has special models such as the Quadro series specifically for the job.

Please note that an RTX 30 series graphics card bricking, breaking or otherwise functioning abnormally while mining is NOT a surprise, but an expected result, as games do not place such intense prolonged load on the GPU. 

You sound like one of those "manufacturer's replies" to those low-stars reviews lol

Also won't a Quadro be worse as Quadros typically use blower-style coolers which afaik are less efficient at cooling graphics cards than more standard dual or triple fan cards?

20 minutes ago, Rym said:

It's funny to imagine gamers being okay with their GPU running hot (and possibly throttling in some gaming scenarios, as mentioned in the video) just so the other party they hate (I assume) suffers

Mind you the VRAM are still running around 90-100c on "normal" gaming loads by some tests, definitely not ideal, it's not something to feel good about

Thanks for creating this topic - I am having this exact issue running Control and UE4 - 2000rpm+ and 100+c memory temp. The 3090 is marketed as a graphics card for 8k gaming (lol) and creatives. I bought it for work and gaming based on this. Not happy considering how much nvidia are asking for these cards.

Clearly says creatives so that's rendering and gpu intensive applications. I suppose it has a 3 year warranty so if it goes into meltdown within that timeframe you're good. Direct from the website;

UP YOUR CREATIVE GAME

Take your creative projects to a new level with GeForce RTX 30 Series GPUs. Delivering AI-acceleration in top creative apps. Backed by the NVIDIA Studio platform of dedicated drivers and exclusive tools. And built to perform in record time. Whether you’re rendering complex 3D scenes, editing 8K video, or livestreaming with the best encoding and image quality, GeForce RTX GPUs give you the performance to create your best.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce/graphics-cards/30-series/rtx-3090/

On 1/28/2021 at 3:03 AM, linuxChips2600 said:

Does anyone have water-cooled VRAM (note VRAM not VRM) temps to post for reference (Google mixes the two terms up with its "fuzzy search" functionality; no luck with using the term "memory" instead in Google search nor searching this forum directly either)?  And yes you must post the temps under sustained 100% GDDR6X load when thermal equilibrium has been (basically) reached; otherwise it doesn't count.

I'll post mine in a bit, need to heat up my loop anyways since I am running system reboot through it.

Anyways off the top of my head game temps are mid 50-60c and my mining temps with a hefty memory overclock are in the 78-86c 

2 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

I'll post mine in a bit, need to heat up my loop anyways since I am running system reboot through it.

Anyways off the top of my head game temps are mid 50-60c and my mining temps with a hefty memory overclock are in the 78-86c 

Thanks; I unfortunately may not be able to get around checking it any time soon (you may refer to my latest status update on why) but I very much appreciate you taking the time to do so.

On 1/28/2021 at 8:27 AM, linuxChips2600 said:

Original source - https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hwinfo64-adds-gddr6x-temp-monitoring-rtx30series

Summary

With a very recent update to HWInfo64, users are now able to see directly via the popular hardware monitoring tool the temperature of their GDDR6X memory modules for any RTX 3080/3090 cards which they own, and boy will they (likely) see a surprise waiting for them.  Even with DLSS enabled, maximum temps of GDDR6X memory modules can reach as high as 100 C while gaming.  And this is even worse if someone is attempting to use their RTX 3080/3090 for memory intensive workloads like cryptocurrency mining; the VRAM in those cases would shoot up to 110 C and severely down-clock itself to keep itself from being literally roasted to death, which makes sense as 110C is already (sort of) higher than the "95+C" operating temperature listed on Micron's official website for GDDR6X.  Igor's Lab (the first afaik to bring up this "hot VRAM" issue back in September of 2020) estimates that the Micron chips themselves will likely have to hit 120 C before sustaining immediate permanent damage, but (also afaik) the general consensus among anyone who knows at least a little bit about computer hardware is that triple-digit positive (or negative too in many cases afaik) Celsius temperatures are typically never good for the lifespan of the hardware itself.

Quotes
Tom's hardware on GDDR6X temperatures while gaming -

Same article detailing how this issue also affects various AIB-partner cards -

And finally, quote from Igor's Lab regarding the absolute max temps before immediate permanent damage:

My thoughts

1. Since I felt that this additional info wasn't necessarily part of the article summary, I'll include a link to a video posted within the past 24 hours by Classical Technology about this exact issue that demonstrates that this hot VRAM issue is essentially replicable for any VRAM-intensive workloads; that video also nicely includes some tips about how to solve this issue (and the pinned comment about whether or not it's a "GDDR6X-only" issue may or may not have been me lol):

2.  I daily drive a HP Zbook 15 (1st Gen) with Ubuntu installed on it, and before I re-pasted the i7-4800MQ the (bloody) thing would thermal throttle at just 40% load so yea I can definitely feel the pain of whoever's facing these thermal issues.  Yes it was definitely (at least mainly) a paste issue as thermal pumping had basically pushed most of the paste to the sides of the CPU (unfortunately I only learned about thermal pumping after re-pasting the CPU so I thought that it was just crappy thermal paste, which is also why I didn't bother taking a pic), and I am fairly confident that the heat-sink was still getting (at least somewhat) enough airflow as I did take a picture (see attached) of how clogged the heat-sink was before I cleaned it and did the re-pasting.  I couldn't even get that blob of dust (on the right) out despite multiple attempts of using canned air; heck I didn't even know it existed until I cracked everything open, so yea either way a re-pasting was kinda necessary regardless of how much it was actually a dust issue to begin with.

3. Sounds like something that the new and improved chiller should be able to handle with a bit of custom engineering. Video idea anyone?

4. I honestly think that those of us who weren't able to get our hands on the (at least as of right now) unicorns which are the RTX 3080 and 3090 might've actually lucked out given that these are essentially hardware issues that cannot be fixed without putting severe power limits on the cards themselves, unless if Nvidia comes out with a driver which allows VRAM-specific power-limiting tuning, which doesn't seem to be the case at least as of right now.

4(b?). You know, the fact that this issue was already known at least several months ago during a September kinda reminds me of a little pandemic which also had signs that it could have began as early as September of a different year...  Let's just hope that I didn't just jinx 2021 for computer hardware too lol.

5. Looks like @FaxedForward was onto something back in September 2020...

6.  Oh I almost forgot... Fermi

Sources

(Original source at top)
Micron's official GDDR6X website - https://www.micron.com/products/ultra-bandwidth-solutions/gddr6x
Igor's lab article - https://www.igorslab.de/en/gddr6x-am-limit-ueber-100-grad-bei-der-geforce-rtx-3080-fe-im-chip-gemessen-2/

before_dust_removal.jpeg

I have Aorus RTX 3090 xtreme card. I noticed that when I was playing Cyberpunk 2077, VRAM temperatures raised as high as +106c when card was overclocked! I have Corsair 750D full tower case (Air flow mode) with Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 PWM fans so airflow is really good through the case (but not crazy blower because fans are adjusted to right RPM).

What I did? I noticed that Aorus automatic fancurve wasn't raising RPM enough under heavy load. When I manually changed RPM to full speed in MSI Afterburner. VRAM temps dropped to ~+88c and GPU temp dropped from ~+70c to +60c! after I played Cyberpunk 2077. GPU overclocked +70Mhz --> 1930Mhz (boosts up to ~2040MHz) and VRAM overclocked +500Mhz. I didn't overclock higher because I think it's enough. Card power limit is 450w. Case airflow is crucial and make sure that card's fans run high enough RPM!

Capture3.thumb.JPG.97f4402b620c56aa279fcf5030551779.JPG

So, they run out of spec from the factory.

That's just asking for premature VRAM deaths.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

4 hours ago, samcool55 said:

So, they run out of spec from the factory.

That's just asking for premature VRAM deaths.

It's not out of spec. T_case is not equivalent to Tjunction. Junction will be hotter.

FWIW, the 5700xt has the same 95C T_case with a 105C Tjunction. 

45 minutes ago, Craftyawesome said:

It's not out of spec. T_case is not equivalent to Tjunction. Junction will be hotter.

FWIW, the 5700xt has the same 95C T_case with a 105C Tjunction. 

Well I'm a bit confused why you mention the 5700XT but apart from that.

It IS out of spec, if your VRAM severely downclocks due to thermals (which DOES happen when you stress the VRAM) you are clearly running it out of spec. Which is imo unacceptable.

It doesn't matter at this point what the actual temperatures are, the fact it downclocks is a clear sign it's right at the edge and you should do something to avoid premature death. But because they are basically behaving like this right out of the box, there's not much you can do about it, apart from buying one that has a good enough cooler as it should have.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

3 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Well I'm a bit confused why you mention the 5700XT 

I'm just showing that junction being above T_case is expected. We also (AFAIK) have not had an abnormal amount of dead 5700xt cards, even with crypto mining. 

3 hours ago, samcool55 said:

It IS out of spec, if your VRAM severely downclocks due to thermals (which DOES happen when you stress the VRAM) you are clearly running it out of spec. Which is imo unacceptable.

It doesn't matter at this point what the actual temperatures are, the fact it downclocks is a clear sign it's right at the edge and you should do something to avoid premature death. But because they are basically behaving like this right out of the box, there's not much you can do about it, apart from buying one that has a good enough cooler as it should have.

The vram throttles to keep it within the temperature spec. I'm not sure how I feel about throttling under some workloads. I definitely don't feel good about the (few?) cards that throttle while gaming.

The same issue on ROG Strix 3090, 110C on memory junction. I will try to replace thermal pads, but how to transfer heat from backplate to radiators? Very nice BS thermal design ASUS.

So I have had issues with my 3090 as well that I have taken the route of putting a heatsink with high conductive thermal pads as well has a fan duct to direct air right over the backplate. It has allowed it to stop throttling and allowed it to clock higher. When I can get a waterblock for my card I will be getting one as long as it as a active backplate as well. 

20210121_231526.jpg

My Rig: CPU: i9-9900k (5Ghz), Ram: 32gigs 3600mhz DDR4 CL16, MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus z390 Ultra, HDD: Samsung 970 Evo 500gig x2, Samsung 850 evo 250 gig, 2 TB Baracuda 7200 rpm,6tb WD Black 7200rpm, 4TB NAS, GPU: Gigabyte Aorus 3090 Master

On 2/1/2021 at 2:30 AM, Massey_Ferguson said:

I've got ASUS TUF 3080.

ETH mining through NiceHash, i used first their default settings for ~48 hours straight:

Power: 68

Core clock: -150

Memory clock: +900

Fan auto.

I was running 104-106 C. The card did not thermal throttle.

~94 MH/s

Once I learned about the memory heat problem, I've used:

Power 63

Core -300

Memory clock: 0

Fan 85 %.

I run stable at 88 C. with ~82 MH/s.

Do you think the latter is sustainable, or is it still too hot to run long term?

Playing R6 Siege with no OC and maxed out settings gives memory temps of 82 C. 

Hi there,

I'm also currently mining on my  ASUS TUF 3080 OC. I tried your clock & power settings, but my VRAM temp is still 100-102c. Any idea as to why this is?

(my ambient temp is 22-24C btw)

image.thumb.png.eb9dd53a1850f26df290848e4cb4e95d.png