Wikipedia turns 20 years old and is planning a website redesign.

Damdatfam

Summary

Wikipedia is turning 20 (January 15th), and as a part of the celebration, they have announced that they are planning to redesign its website. This is due to the fact that “while Wikipedia’s content has grown rapidly, our interface has not kept pace.” They are planning to introduce a reconfigured logo, collapsible side bar as well as introducing a maximum line width based on a grid system, and more.

Quotes

Wikipedia has remained a critical and widely-used resource for knowledge across the world for the past two decades.  Over this time, the site has expanded significantly to contain unparalleled amounts of reliable and thorough information, including 53 million articles across over 300 languages.

The desktop design is particularly important to new users who have come to the internet for the first time over the last decade.  To these users, much of the wide range of functionality on the site can feel overwhelming and difficult to understand.  In order to welcome them to our projects and entice them to come back, we need to provide not only excellent content and an experience that is engaging and easy to use, but also an experience that is on-par with their perceptions of a modern, trustworthy, and welcoming site.

My thoughts

Wikipedia is finally getting a new website redesign, yay!

Sources

https://wikimediafoundation.org/wikipedia20/

https://diff.wikimedia.org/2020/09/23/wikipedia-is-getting-a-new-look-for-the-first-time-in-10-years-heres-why/

Well how the hell am I supposed to use Wikipedia on my dial-up connection now?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 hours ago, WikiForce said:

for the redesign, i have only one thing to say, don't fix it if it ain't broken.

Also, current design is really good and very intuitive.

No, no, it doesn't use a shit ton of bw to load and people can easily download the entire content of Wikipedia and make offline encyclopaedia out of it with just a raspberry pi.

Time to bloat the shit out of it and fill it with pointless animation

/s

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

I remember back in the day during the times when almost all phones are Nokias (especially the N series), you can download a Wikipedia app and use it offline...just saying

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

In the past I have donated money to keep Wikipedia running on a couple of occasions. 

Then suddenly I started to get daily spam form them about donation money to keep them afloat right after I had made an donation. 

Now I think their organisation can FU, I will never donate to them again because I got so pissed by that behavior.

I just hope the redesign doesn't end up like so many redesign these days. Really bloated up and painfully slow even with a fast internet connection and PC.

Make it easier to switch between languages on the mobile site please, that is one thing that is needed.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Well dang, that’s not what I expected from them. I don’t know how I feel about a website redesign, I mean I guess it’s time but this one is so iconic. 

Hmm hopefully for the better, maybe a modern way to switch between links and better tables. Native dark mode too.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Wikipedia FTW 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

20 years?! Man, time flies like a motherfucka. Hope the redesign doesn't mess with the integrity of the site. Congrats to them.

Leonidas Specs: Ryzen 7 5800X3D | AMD 6800 XT Midnight Black | MSI B550 Gaming Plus | Corsair Dominator CL16 3200 MHz  4x8 32GB | be quiet! Silent Base 802

Maximus Specs: Ryzen 7 3700x | AMD 6700 XT Power Color Fighter | Asrock B550M-Itx/AC | Corsair Vengeance CL 16 3200 MHz 2x8 16 GB | Fractal Ridge Case (HTPC)

On 1/28/2021 at 4:29 AM, Damdatfam said:

they have announced that they are planning to redesign its website. This is due to the fact that “while Wikipedia’s content has grown rapidly, our interface has not kept pace.” They are planning to introduce a reconfigured logo, collapsible side bar as well as introducing a maximum line width based on a grid system, and more.

That's bad news,RIP Wikipedia.

Don't fix what is not broken,nobody asked for it.

The need to make things look pretty/modernize tends to destroys fully functional software,

And the most famous victims are Microsoft's Windows 8/10 and AMD's Radeon Relive/Crimson/Adrenaline Drivers.

We all loved Windows 7 and Catalyst Control Center,but their replacements are awful.

At least NVIDIA still use the good UI they have since the 90s,

There is no need for fancy graphics at the expense of functionality.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

There are some links to concept art of the new design. It's like 90% the same which in my mind is a good thing. It's only minor changes here and there for what I can see. 

Stuff like "view in other language" is now a drop down selector instead of a static list on the left, and the search box now showing results in real time. 

Hope the page remains as snappy as it is today. If it stays as performant as it is right now then I think these changes will just be minor improvements. 

Looking at the mockups that they have, these changes look good to me. Long lines are (based on published research as well as my personal experience) harder to read, so I'm glad to see that they will be limiting the width. The rest of the tweaks are pretty minor, but generally look like positive changes to me which will clean up the interface a bit.

HTTP/2 203

I want a slider that lets me travel back in time through article edits.

On 1/28/2021 at 3:43 PM, WikiForce said:

don't fix it if it ain't broken

This exactly, i'm tired of change for the sake of change.  I'm using a bunch of Chrome extensions just to keep things how i like them and use the old versions of things lol

Checked out the redesign in the arcticles. It's actually just addition of like 10 QoL features while the design stays the same. Collapsible side bar, language menu being moved to a drop-down thing at the top as an effect of this, and same drop-down menu for the table of contents so it's also accessible from anywhere in the article.

Everyone who is "reeeeee change" here didn't bother actually checking it out. 

I like cute animal pics.

Mac Studio | Ryzen 7 5800X3D + RTX 3090

I would rather they didn't re-design the website. If it's not broken don't fix it.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard