Twitch Streaming the New YouTube Craze?

RelentlessAF

Hey guys, so only recently (probably since I don't pay attention to stuff like this) I've noticed a rise in the popularity of streaming. I think streaming is cool but the kind of streaming I thought that happened was a YouTube channel who has quite the following does a live event and his or hers subscribers watch. Such as the WAN show for example. What I've noticed recently is that everyone and their mother (blatant over-exaggeration) wants to become a popular streamer and stream whether it be to 3 people or 3,000. This got me thinking, wasn't it a big thing for everyone to want to become super popular on YouTube? Did everyone decide Twitch Streaming was more fun now? I personally would never do streaming because I don't like it myself except watching the WAN show :). Anyway what do you guys think, what could've caused this shift of interest from pre-recorded videos to Live streams?

EDIT: Also to add onto my post, most people who I hear say they want to become a popular streamer just start streaming, when was the last time someone went on Twitch and browsed around for random streams to watch?

I just see streaming as a supplement to archived content, the majority of large streamers have Youtube accounts that get far more views.

I also think a lot more people are interested in streaming because it is less saturated and also because of subscriptions. 

I also think a lot more people are interested in streaming because it is less saturated and also because of subscriptions. 

It's definitely going to get saturated pretty quickly.

It's definitely going to get saturated pretty quickly.

Yeah I can see a lot more innovation happening, things like Twitch Plays Pokemon really changed how I view it.

I can see a lot of opportunities for it to expand...

I think people like streaming because it has direct contact with the audience. Recording videos for youtube is a ton of work. Setting up your recording, editing it in post, uploading it and messing around

I think streaming is a LOT more accessible than editing and uploading, plus some people do it for the social side

It is also the new kid on the block so more people will want to try it out

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I think people like streaming because it has direct contact with the audience. Recording videos for youtube is a ton of work. Setting up your recording, editing it in post, uploading it and messing around

I think streaming is a LOT more accessible than editing and uploading, plus some people do it for the social side

It is also the new kid on the block so more people will want to try it out

I see what you mean, also it depends on the kind of video, If I do a let's play it's extremely easy, sync the audio to the video make sure there's no noise in the cutscenes and Bam! Render. But a review is a ton of work, play the game for hours, write notes on things you saw and might want to talk about. Order them based on what you find most interesting, write a script. Practice the script, record the audio. Record clips for the Review, make transitions. Scavenge through hours of clips for specific ones you need. *sigh* it's worht it in the end though then you can step back and see how it all came together!

Yeah I can see a lot more innovation happening, things like Twitch Plays Pokemon really changed how I view it.

I can see a lot of opportunities for it to expand...

It could depending on how Twitch works with the community. Twitch plays pokemon was a step in the right direction for innovation but how it will be utilized could be it's shining monument, or it's undoing.

I see what you mean, also it depends on the kind of video, If I do a let's play it's extremely easy, sync the audio to the video make sure there's no noise in the cutscenes and Bam! Render. But a review is a ton of work, play the game for hours, write notes on things you saw and might want to talk about. Order them based on what you find most interesting, write a script. Practice the script, record the audio. Record clips for the Review, make transitions. Scavenge through hours of clips for specific ones you need. *sigh* it's worht it in the end though then you can step back and see how it all came together!

Yeah I agree as far as lets play style content goes, but then again it is something I have experimented myself with and it is SUPER hard talking to yourself for hours on end. Co-op is easier as there is somebody to talk to and play off (read make fun of) but with twitch you can play off the audience and change what is happening in the game to please the audience. Eg you are playing a stealth game and everyone is like "go crazy and kill everyone" then you can do that and your audience will enjoy it, whereas if you are recording it yourself, maybe you just sit in a dark corner for 20 minutes and nobody watches your video - its like live feedback.

Im tempted to try streaming myself, I just never have a house where people dont walk into my office like "hey honey we are home, what do you want for tea? how was work? are your new car lights ok?" being on the stream audio ><

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah I agree as far as lets play style content goes, but then again it is something I have experimented myself with and it is SUPER hard talking to yourself for hours on end. Co-op is easier as there is somebody to talk to and play off (read make fun of) but with twitch you can play off the audience and change what is happening in the game to please the audience. Eg you are playing a stealth game and everyone is like "go crazy and kill everyone" then you can do that and your audience will enjoy it, whereas if you are recording it yourself, maybe you just sit in a dark corner for 20 minutes and nobody watches your video - its like live feedback.

Im tempted to try streaming myself, I just never have a house where people dont walk into my office like "hey honey we are home, what do you want for tea? how was work? are your new car lights ok?" being on the stream audio ><

Aha, I actually just spend about a day recording and rendering and then take the week off uploading one video per day in order to keep myself sane. You could lock the door and put a sign on the knob saying "Do Not Disturb Streaming in Progress" Maybe that might work xD

It could depending on how Twitch works with the community. Twitch plays pokemon was a step in the right direction for innovation but how it will be utilized could be it's shining monument, or it's undoing.

Yeah well one of the great reasons for being live is interaction from the community, so I agree if they can increase the amount of ways that the community can interact it will definitely help it grow...

I think it's just a thing now though, I can't see it going away anytime soon, it's integrated into the PS4, I think that shows how much faith companies have in the platform.

Aha, I actually just spend about a day recording and rendering and then take the week off uploading one video per day in order to keep myself sane. You could lock the door and put a sign on the knob saying "Do Not Disturb Streaming in Progress" Maybe that might work xD

I was thinking of moving my rig upstairs to my bedroom instead of my office which is downstairs, and building a little soundproof screen with some acoustic foam and a little screen door

I was thinking of moving my rig upstairs to my bedroom instead of my office which is downstairs, and building a little soundproof screen with some acoustic foam and a little screen door

don't forget to green screen

don't forget to green screen

That's a good idea that I had completely not taken into consideration, easily done - nothing could be permanent , i would have to have a roller blind that I could remove easily 

EDIT - actually ill just get this http://www.amazon.co.uk/PhotoSEL-BS103-Professional-Background-Support/dp/B002JCE7KQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395417696&sr=8-1&keywords=green+screen+stand