7 fans, only have 6 RGB Fan slots available, what to do?

DankDoodles
Go to solution Solved by IkeaGnome,
53 minutes ago, DankDoodles said:

I am guessing it isn't a good idea to use a Asus AIO with corsair fans?

I did that with my old RGBtastic set up. I pulled this picture from the Corsair forums. You'd be looking at wiring very similar to this. Just replace the LED strip off the PRO for one of your fans if you want all 7 to be lit up. 

Corsair iCue RGB has a learning curve. Once you learn how to use it, I prefer it actually. It's very simple to expand and subtract RGB from. It also has support to control some ASUS hardware. My old ROG Mobo and ROG 2070 could be controlled in iCue.

XSDWsneh.png

I am using all Corsair fans for my build.

• 3x LL120 fans (Radiator fans)
  • 4x LL140 fans (Front & Exhaust fans

image.thumb.png.8fff21f790c5e7708d1518128c6d148b.png

Problem is... the included RGB hub can only hold up to 6 fans, I have 7 fans. I tried looking if I should get a Commander Pro or something else, but I can't seem to figure it out still. I got this RGB fan hub thing from the LL120 bundle I got that included three fans if that helps out in researching.

Can someone please tell me what I need to do to fix my situation? What do I need to buy, what do I need to replace to have less wires, etc.

Also this is my first build too... I see why so many people hate Corsair's RGB solution(s)...

(Hope this image helps, hard to hold three small things with one hand while using the other hand to take a picture).

image.thumb.png.4f15bdc7a269b45d9455414bb52aa391.png

1 minute ago, DankDoodles said:

Problem is... the included RGB hub can only hold up to 6 fans, I have 7 fans. I tried looking if I should get a Commander Pro or something else, but I can't seem to figure it out still. Can someone please tell me what I need to do to fix my situation? What do I need to buy, what do I need to replace to have less wires, etc.

Also this is my first build too... I see why so many people hate Corsair's RGB solutions...

(Hope this image helps, hard to hold three small things with one hand while using the other hand to take a picture).

I mean it's honestly up to you..... personally I wouldn't RGB the back exhaust fan. Front 3 and Top 3 is plenty... imo.

2 minutes ago, medicanthony said:

Corsair uses a proprietary connector. They can only work with Corsair fan controllers. As far as I know...

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

Tier Lists and Specs List Below

Motherboard VRM tier list  -----  PSU tier list

React if you agree with me!

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

I am sorry if this seems rude but I don't know how else to put this

4 minutes ago, medicanthony said:

I mean it's honestly up to you..... personally I wouldn't RGB the back exhaust fan. Front 3 and Top 3 is plenty... imo.

I know it is up to me, that is the reason why I made this forum post. It wouldn't make sense for me to buy all of the fans to have RGB and then not use the RGB.

2 minutes ago, medicanthony said:

If you took a little more time to look at this, you would realize the hub you sent me works with Razer Chroma, not iCUE nor AuraSync. I am using iCUE to control the lighting for the fans and AuraSync to control everything else.

I don't know where you saw any Razer products in the build...

2 minutes ago, MarvintheParrot said:

Corsair uses a proprietary connector. They can only work with Corsair fan controllers. As far as I know...

According to the research I have done, that's correct. Problem is on what thing to get, what to not get, and how to connect all of them up.

I keep seeing tutorials that are 6 fans or under, OR tutorials that have 10+fans. I am sure I am not the only one who went to the number seven.

Just now, DankDoodles said:

According to the research I have done, that's correct. Problem is on what thing to get, what to not get, and how to connect all of them up.

I keep seeing tutorials that are 6 fans or under, OR tutorials that have 10+fans. I am sure I am not the only one who went to the number seven.

You have a few options.

First, how to wire them up:

Connect the RGB cable from the fans in the Corsair node core, and then wire the node core to the node PRO, and then the PRO to the motherboard. You also need to wire up the fans themselves to the motherboard. (Looks correct in the photo)

How to connect 6+ fans:

You will NEED another fan controller. You could use a Commander PRO(~$65) or you could try to get another Node Core(~$30)

Lighting Node Core:

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CO-8950020-Rgb-Cfan-Compatible/dp/B075GWMJ68/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Lighting+Node+core&qid=1611802598&sr=8-2

“Appear weak when you are strong, and strong when you are weak.” - Sun Tzu, The Art of War #muricaparrotgang

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600  |  CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC240 White |  RAM: Crucial Ballistix RGB 16GB 3600 | Mobo: ASUS ROG STRIX B550-A  |  SSD: Inland m.2 NVMe SSD 256GB  |  HDD: Seagate 2TB 7200RPM |  GPU: RTX 3060 Ti FE  |  PSU: Seasonic SGX 650 |  Case: Lian Li o11 mini-W  |  Mouse: Razer Basilisk mercury |  Keyboard: Drop CTRL (Used. I did not spend $200 on a keyboard) |  Mouse Pad: Aura Mech Purple Storm  |  MonitorAsus TUF 24" IPS 144Hz 1080p

4 minutes ago, DankDoodles said:

I am sorry if this seems rude but I don't know how else to put this

I know it is up to me, that is the reason why I made this forum post. It wouldn't make sense for me to buy all of the fans to have RGB and then not use the RGB.

If you took a little more time to look at this, you would realize the hub you sent me works with Razer Chroma, not iCUE nor AuraSync. I am using iCUE to control the lighting for the fans and AuraSync to control everything else.

I don't know where you saw any Razer products in the build...

Lmao.... I apologize I honestly thought RGB hubs were universal...

And I did say personally and IMO. I knew my corsair hub only had 6 rgb spots, so I didn't purchase more than 6 rgb fan. My rear exhaust isn't RGB. It still looks pretty bomb. I was simply passing my opinion. Sorry you took it that way!

Much love ❤️

2 hours ago, DankDoodles said:

Problem is... the included RGB hub can only hold up to 6 fans, I have 7 fans. I tried looking if I should get a Commander Pro or something else, but I can't seem to figure it out still. I got this RGB fan hub thing from the LL120 bundle I got that included three fans if that helps out in researching.

Can someone please tell me what I need to do to fix my situation? What do I need to buy, what do I need to replace to have less wires, etc.

Also this is my first build too... I see why so many people hate Corsair's RGB solution(s)...

you should have gotten more then 1 hub with that many fans? sould be able to hoon 2 hubes to the node and have 140 on 1 hub and 120 on the other

you can do it many different ways. corsair led port splitor hooks 2 hubs to 1 led port

could split one of the 4pin fans off the hub

corsair 3pin to 2+1

corsair 3pin or 4pin to 3pin jst-sm

corsair 3pin to nzxt fan

corsair 4pin to 2+1 pin (hub)

other

corsair 3pin to 2+1

corsair3pin to 2+1

corsair 4pin to 2+1 (hub)

2+1 Mb to Corsair 3pin (hub)

2+1 Mb to Corsair 4pin (fan)

Corsair 4pin commander core to 2+1 and 4pin corsair fan

Corsair 3pin 2 wire (hub)

corsair 4pin fan extension

corsair 4pin extension sleeved

corsair 3pin to 2x 3pin 2 wire splitor (2x hub to 1 corsair led port)

corsair 4pin fan splitor

Corsair LED RGB 3 Pin to 5v RGB 3 Pin Female

Corsair LED RGB 3 Pin to 5v RGB 3 Pin Male

4x Corsair Fan to Standard RGB 5v 3 Pin Adapter Cable

Corsair LED RGB 4 Pin to 5v RGB 3 Pin Male

Corsair RGB LED Light 3 Pin Male to 5v RGB 3 Pin Female Adapter Cable

corsair connectors 3 and 4 pin

Corsair Link / Commander 4-Pin Female-to-Female Sleeved Extension Cable

Corsair Link / Commander 4-Pin Female-to-Male Sleeved Triple Y-Split Cable

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

13 hours ago, MarvintheParrot said:

You have a few options.

First, how to wire them up:

Connect the RGB cable from the fans in the Corsair node core, and then wire the node core to the node PRO, and then the PRO to the motherboard. You also need to wire up the fans themselves to the motherboard. (Looks correct in the photo)

How to connect 6+ fans:

You will NEED another fan controller. You could use a Commander PRO(~$65) or you could try to get another Node Core(~$30)

Lighting Node Core:

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CO-8950020-Rgb-Cfan-Compatible/dp/B075GWMJ68/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Lighting+Node+core&qid=1611802598&sr=8-2

So get a commander Pro to connect the front and back fans? (The fans on the AIO are connected to the AIO bump thing)

2 minutes ago, DankDoodles said:

So get a commander Pro to connect the front and back fans? (The fans on the AIO are connected to the AIO bump thing)

Honestly, I am not as versed with the corsair AIO's. A commander PRO also acts as a fan hub, so the fans can be powered from the commander PRO too.(I think

1 minute ago, MarvintheParrot said:

Honestly, I am not as versed with the corsair AIO's. A commander PRO also acts as a fan hub, so the fans can be powered from the commander PRO too.(I think

That does not matter as much, im doing the same thing!

You will just have to use two different software to control them. The Corsair fans go into the corsair fan controller and into the motherboard. Unless you are using a Commander PRO. Then the fans go in there instead of the motherboard.

53 minutes ago, DankDoodles said:

I did that with my old RGBtastic set up. I pulled this picture from the Corsair forums. You'd be looking at wiring very similar to this. Just replace the LED strip off the PRO for one of your fans if you want all 7 to be lit up. 

Corsair iCue RGB has a learning curve. Once you learn how to use it, I prefer it actually. It's very simple to expand and subtract RGB from. It also has support to control some ASUS hardware. My old ROG Mobo and ROG 2070 could be controlled in iCue.

XSDWsneh.png

Edited by Voluspa
Missed number of pins on LL120.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

2 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

XSDWsneh.png

Doesn't the LL140 fans need four pins for RGB?

I thought the Commander Pro only had three pins for the "LED" section

You're correct. I missed that. You could run another Node Core off the 2 header Node though yeah?

https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=173880

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

45 minutes ago, DankDoodles said:

So get one node core and commander pro?

That would be the known, safe way to go. I think you could get away with another of the Node Core and wire it in this way. SHOULD show up in iCue as another addressable header.

image.png.d40ab7133718b300dfbc569d7fe624ac.png

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

7 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

That would be the known, safe way to go. I think you could get away with another of the Node Core and wire it in this way. SHOULD show up in iCue as another addressable header.

image.png.d40ab7133718b300dfbc569d7fe624ac.png

Could you give me a link to one? I can't find one that doesn't have "RGB HUB" on it

Could you give me a link to one? I can't find one that doesn't have "RGB HUB" on it

That's just the Fan LED Hub. If you bought two three packs of LL fans, you should have a second one.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Custom-Cooling/Accessories/CORSAIR-RGB-Fan-LED-Hub/p/CO-8950020

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

26 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

That's just the Fan LED Hub. If you bought two three packs of LL fans, you should have a second one.

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Custom-Cooling/Accessories/CORSAIR-RGB-Fan-LED-Hub/p/CO-8950020

I bought a three pack of LL120 fans, unfortunately they didn't offer a three pack for the LL140 fans 😕

Doing this way, would I not be able to get RGB strips in the future?

Edited by DankDoodles

9 hours ago, DankDoodles said:

the led port on the commander and node are 3pin that   connect to the hub the fans the connect to the hub are 4 pin... the core adds the hub in one so they are only 4 pin.

the hub only take ground and data(2 wires) form the led port and get power from the sata

corsair strips are 3pin so only hooks to the led ports.

corsair 3pin conetor.jpg

corsair 4pin conetor.jpg

rgb 18.jpg

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

8 hours ago, DankDoodles said:

I bought a three pack of LL120 fans, unfortunately they didn't offer a three pack for the LL140 fans 😕

Doing this way, would I not be able to get RGB strips in the future?

every 3 pact 120mm and 2pack 140mm comes with a hub i think. you can hook to hubs to the 2 led ports for a total of 12 fans. thow i would keep the 120mm on 1 hub and 140mm on the other hub.

if you want strips down the road you can but a led port splitor or another corsair controller. the controller will offer you the abilaty to change the colors well the splitor will mimic w/e port its hook too. up to you on how much control you want.

12 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

every 3 pact 120mm and 2pack 140mm comes with a hub i think. you can hook to hubs to the 2 led ports for a total of 12 fans. thow i would keep the 120mm on 1 hub and 140mm on the other hub.

if you want strips down the road you can but a led port splitor or another corsair controller. the controller will offer you the abilaty to change the colors well the splitor will mimic w/e port its hook too. up to you on how much control you want.

At the time I purchased these fans I bought individuals since the bundles for LL140 were out of stock

There is a header on the motherboard called the RGB_Header2

Would I be able to plug in that one RGB fan there?