Any Benefit to Using All Fan Mounts?

RelentlessAF

Hey guys, so I got my Define R4 yesterday, 6 days before Amazon said it would (I love Amazon, I always get my orders early). Basically I want to change out the fans for even more silent ones and also add more. In total there are 6 fan mounts I can use. However I want to know the practical benefit of using all of these fan mounts or if I should just use the ones that don't have the sound dampening foam covering them. The purpose of this build is to eliminate the background noise of my computer running when voice recording. So will it still be silent if I use all 6 fans? Also would it make the CPU much cooler? My CPU usually maxes out at 55C when OC'd to 4.0Ghz using the Stock cooler :P (I'm getting a be quiet! Dark Rock 3 Pro in about a week to replace the stock one.)

The more fans the more noise you're going to hear.

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

The more fans the more noise you're going to hear.

So is it not worth the trade-off? The temps are really good as of now but I may want to shoot for 4.5Ghz in the future or close to that.

So is it not worth the trade-off? The temps are really good as of now but I may want to shoot for 4.5Ghz in the future or close to that.

Well, the noise isn't loud at all (I use the R4 myself). But why would you add extra fans if you temps are already good enough and you focus on silence?

Current rig: CPU: AMD FX-8120  Cooling: Corsair H100i  Mobo: ASRock 970 Extreme 3  RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz  GPU: MSI GTX 660Ti Power Edition  Case: Fractal Design Define R4  Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD + 128GB Crucial SSD  PSU: be quiet! 730W bronze

Case fans don't have very much to do with that. As long as airflow is already decent, you should be good. That being said, I'm running my Fractal fans at 5v and I can't hear them at all unless I put my ear up to the computer. Can you actually hear yours?

Well, the noise isn't loud at all (I use the R4 myself). But why would you add extra fans if you temps are already good enough and you focus on silence?

Mostly because I'm not as sensitive to noise as others are, so I'm able to tolerate much "louder" noise so I was wondering what the benefit would be for using all of the fan mounts and see if it outweighed the noise increase.

I wouldn't go for extra fans unless you want noise and more performance.

The stock fan configuration is already enough for a nice airflow within the case.

Case fans don't have very much to do with that. As long as airflow is already decent, you should be good. That being said, I'm running my Fractal fans at 5v and I can't hear them at all unless I put my ear up to the computer. Can you actually hear yours?

I can not, I was blown away when i switched cases from my old Cooler Master 431. I have it set to 7v I haven't tried 5 yet. I may in the future though :) One thing that was odd is I plugged the 2 included fans into the fan controller ports and the rear one din't turn on so i had to plug it into the motherboard. Did you have this issue with yours?

Mostly because I'm not as sensitive to noise as others are, so I'm able to tolerate much "louder" noise so I was wondering what the benefit would be for using all of the fan mounts and see if it outweighed the noise increase.

Depends on a case to case and part to part layout basis. Depending on how your parts are positioned, you'd want fan placement to accommodate for that to more efficiently move the heat away from the components.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Depends on a case to case and part to part layout basis. Depending on how your parts are positioned, you'd want fan placement to accommodate for that to more efficiently move the heat away from the components.

Ah okay, it seems to be good the way it is, the only change I made was taking out the top drive cage and moving the fan into the top slot to allow more air flow.

As long as there's some air moving you are good... If you go R9 290 xfire etc then you might need to be more aware of the air flow during demanding gaming (my cards are small space heaters inside the case) :D

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/