Sudden Drop in Time Spy Score

nobodyknowsimgay

Just moved my PC into a new case with better airflow (for my cpu) and amongst other things decided to do a 3DMark TimeSpy Run.

CPU: 5800X
GPU: 3080 Strix
MB: X570 Aorus Master
RAM: 4x8GB 3800mhz

PSU: Seasonic 1000W 80+ Titanium

Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

Prior to moving I was getting consistently 18,000 and now I'm getting consistent 17,350ish scores. Core and memory clock averages are the same or better always and temps don't go over 70. Nothing has changed in the system at all. Both were run at stock settings. I'm extremely confused.

Below is a before and after. Better scores being the old case (the cpu score is usually the same). Anyone have any ideas?

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, nobodyknowsimgay said:

Just moved my PC into a new case with better airflow (for my cpu) and amongst other things decided to do a 3DMark TimeSpy Run.

Prior to moving I was getting consistently 18,000 and now I'm getting consistent 17,350ish scores. Core and memory clock averages are the same or better always and temps don't go over 70. Nothing has changed in the system at all. Both were run at stock settings. I'm extremely confused.

Below is a before and after. Better scores being the old case (the cpu score is usually the same). Anyone have any ideas?

spacer.png

Well the GPU graphics driver version changed, and its possible that caused the discrepancy.

1 minute ago, jrhaberland said:

Well the GPU graphics driver version changed, and its possible that caused the discrepancy.

I'm pretty skeptical that a significant drop like that is a result of the driver change. I had updated the driver before that test and done several tests before this and yesterday as well. I believe they were on the same drivers as the prior test which was about 10 days prior. 

I don't believe it is the driver.

Yeah then I don't know what it could be.

To me it isn't really that big of a drop, I mean yes the score is 700 points lower. However the fps of the different tests are barely different.

Just now, jrhaberland said:

Yeah then I don't know what it could be.

To me it isn't really that big of a drop, I mean yes the score is 700 points lower. However the fps of the different tests are barely different.

Sure it won't ruin any experiences really but I don't like that something that was so consistent suddenly changes. There is always a reason. Bothers me that I can't figure it out. Also, testing with the same driver has yielded no difference. It's definitely not the driver.

Just now, jrhaberland said:

Are all your bios settings the same?

Yes. I have not updated or changed my bios since apart from some PWM fan curves.

Are you using Steam?
Try closing 3dmark and Steam and opening it again and running the bench again.

Don't wait for the final score.  Watch the first 3 seconds of either Timespy or Port Royal and you will know instantly whether your FPS is normal or too low.  Then you can abort the test instantly.

I've seen 3dmark scores via steam vary as much as 300 points, reporting 300 too low then increasing by 300 just by closing 3dmark and running it a second time, and that's all I did.

Some people use the standalone 3dmark client instead, because of this reason.

If bothered by it.....rollback drivers and recompare them driver versions.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

18 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

If bothered by it.....rollback drivers and recompare them driver versions.

Rolling back drivers gets the same result disparity as tests on older drivers. It doesn't really bother me so much because I'm barely losing performance but it is really strange to me.

1 hour ago, nobodyknowsimgay said:

PSU: Seasonic 1000W 80+ Titanium

Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

spacer.png

Do you use gsync or freesync? Did you forget to turn them off?

Also background tasks can really hurt score by a few %

1 hour ago, AngryBeaver said:

Do you use gsync or freesync? Did you forget to turn them off?

Also background tasks can really hurt score by a few %

Disabled Gsync. Turned off every background task I could as I did for prior testing. Games all benchmark slightly lower as well. 

Really confused lol. The results are all consistent.