1440p 144hz HDR Monitor

quake99

Hello,

Recently my second monitor has started to have issues and since it is a 1600x900 monitor I was thinking of using my main monitor as my secondary monitor and getting a new monitor. I have been looking at getting a 1440p monitor since my main monitor is 1080p and I feel like my Ryzen 3900 and RTX 2070 deserves more than 1080p. And since this will be my main monitor I definitely want it to be a high refresh rate monitor. I also would like for it to be HDR but the resolution and refresh rate are more important than HDR. And here is the issue, I have found many monitors that check all the boxes the only box that they don't check is the budget box. Sadly due to bills, school loans, and other expenses the most I can afford is $400. I would like for it to stay under $400 with tax but willing to consider the monitor if tax pushes it over by a bit. 

Thank you for any help!

5 minutes ago, quake99 said:

Hello,

Recently my second monitor has started to have issues and since it is a 1600x900 monitor I was thinking of using my main monitor as my secondary monitor and getting a new monitor. I have been looking at getting a 1440p monitor since my main monitor is 1080p and I feel like my Ryzen 3900 and RTX 2070 deserves more than 1080p. And since this will be my main monitor I definitely want it to be a high refresh rate monitor. I also would like for it to be HDR but the resolution and refresh rate are more important than HDR. And here is the issue, I have found many monitors that check all the boxes the only box that they don't check is the budget box. Sadly due to bills, school loans, and other expenses the most I can afford is $400. I would like for it to stay under $400 with tax but willing to consider the monitor if tax pushes it over by a bit. 

Thank you for any help!

How big of a monitor are you looking for?

Just now, jrhaberland said:

How big of a monitor are you looking for?

I was looking to get a monitor at 27in or 24in. I would prefer to not get a monitor larger than 30in.

Just now, quake99 said:

I was looking to get a monitor at 27in or 24in. I would prefer to not get a monitor larger than 30in.

Okay, I found a monitor that's 27", 1440p, and runs at 170Hz for $324.99.

Gigabyte M27Q

1 minute ago, jrhaberland said:

Okay, I found a monitor that's 27", 1440p, and runs at 170Hz for $324.99.

Gigabyte M27Q

I see that this one is rated for HDR400. is that better or worse than HDR10? 

I see that this one is rated for HDR400. is that better or worse than HDR10? 

HDR 10 is just a protocol for how the GPU sends and the Monitor receives HDR information.

You can read more about that HERE

However HDR400 is the lowest tier of HDR

4 minutes ago, jrhaberland said:

HDR 10 is just a protocol for how the GPU sends and the Monitor receives HDR information.

You can read more about that HERE

However HDR400 is the lowest tier of HDR

oh ok. Thanks for that link. That monitor seems like a really great deal. It says that it supports FreeSync but nothing about GSync. While I know that some FreeSync Monitors work with Gsync, is this one of those monitors?

oh ok. Thanks for that link. That monitor seems like a really great deal. It says that it supports FreeSync but nothing about GSync. While I know that some FreeSync Monitors work with Gsync, is this one of those monitors?

Yeah that one should work with G-Sync, although it may vary.

I would also recommend looking into this monitor:

Asus TUF GAMING VG27WQ

That ASUS monitor is the same way, it may support G-sync it may not

4 hours ago, jrhaberland said:

This one is on the list here for G-Sync compatible, plus it has support for HDR400.

Acer Nitro XV272U

Oh the Acer one looks really nice and it is certified GSync compatible.

I found this one on amazon. The page just says HDR10. Is this a good monitor? is the HDR on it good? 

LG 27GL83A-B

14 hours ago, quake99 said:

Oh the Acer one looks really nice and it is certified GSync compatible.

I found this one on amazon. The page just says HDR10. Is this a good monitor? is the HDR on it good? 

LG 27GL83A-B

The HDR on that monitor would be about as good as the Gigabyte one I sent you first

23 hours ago, jrhaberland said:

The HDR on that monitor would be about as good as the Gigabyte one I sent you first

So the acer and the asus monitors have better hdr performance?

1 hour ago, quake99 said:

So the acer and the asus monitors have better hdr performance?

Yeah because they both have a higher peak brightness than the Gigabyte and the LG. The peak brightness is what mostly affects hdr performance.