Can I have 1x4 and 1x8 gb ram

Damjan000

Ok so I want to upgrad my pc and i have a decent gpu its a rx570 from gigabyte and im planing on upgrading my ram and cpu 

My motherboard is relativly old and suports maximum up to i 7 and i will be buying i 7 3770k but my ram here is the problem .I have 8 gb ddr 3 2x4 and my motherboard has only 2 slots so I was going to buy a 1 x 8gb since i will have to pay about 80 dollars for my cpu and i don't want to wast 100 on ram since in Serbia ram i relativly pricy.So my question is can I pu a 1 x8 gb ram in my computer since i just need more ram space than anything.

IMG_20210127_234925.jpg

3 minutes ago, rakkir 196 said:

yes mismatched dimms should work, at one point it was common for laptops to ship with one 4 and one 2 for a total of 6.

Thank you for helping me

Do this with "caution". Mismatching ram COULD very well cause problems. If its advanced, they simply wont work together or one of them wont show up in bios. If its a bit more simple, they will just change the fastest stick to the same speed as the slowest, so while you may get extra ram, you will also lose its speed, aka some FPS. If they are the same brand and model, with just less GB, its fine.

43 minutes ago, DankDeuxez said:

Do this with "caution". Mismatching ram COULD very well cause problems. If its advanced, they simply wont work together or one of them wont show up in bios. If its a bit more simple, they will just change the fastest stick to the same speed as the slowest, so while you may get extra ram, you will also lose its speed, aka some FPS. If they are the same brand and model, with just less GB, its fine.

Well it's a different manufacturer it has more gb and has the same voltage, speed and latency

1 minute ago, Damjan000 said:

has the sme voltage speed and latency

then it shouldnt be anything to worry about.

3 minutes ago, DankDeuxez said:

then it shouldnt be anything to worry about.

Thanks.