Asus RoG Strix 1070 temps >90°c

Phyruus

Over the last month, I've built a new PC consisting of:

• Ryzen 7 5800x
  • Asus x570-e mobo
  • 32gb (16x2) G.Skill Trident Neo Z
  • Samsung 980 Pro 500g 
  • Asus RoG Strix GTX1070 (repurposed from previous PC)
  • Seasonic GX-850
  • Lian Li PC-O11 case w/ vert GPU riser (currently not being used)

Everything had been running great until a few nights ago when I fired up SW Jedi Fallen Order and went to connect a PS4 controller (via bluetooth).  An hour after searching Google & trying various fixes, I noticed that a recent Intel bluetooth update had occurred, and I realized that I hadn't used the bluetooth since.  Unable to roll back the driver, I decided that I would just reinstall Win10 Pro and not let the driver update.  After everything was all said and done, I connected the controller back up and the game was running smoothly.  I had over 100 fps constantly, and GPU/CPU temps were comfortably in the 60's.

The next day I hop back in the game, and my temps have skyrocketed... CPU is fine, holding steady with similar temps, slightly higher than previously, which I'm assuming is a byproduct of the GPU... it's temps have spiked into the 90's, causing the GPU clock to throttle down to 500mhz or less.

I have no clue where to start looking at things.  Any help would be much appreciated

4 hours ago, Phyruus said:

Over the last month, I've built a new PC consisting of:

• Ryzen 7 5800x
  • Asus x570-e mobo
  • 32gb (16x2) G.Skill Trident Neo Z
  • Samsung 980 Pro 500g 
  • Asus RoG Strix GTX1070 (repurposed from previous PC)
  • Seasonic GX-850
  • Lian Li PC-O11 case w/ vert GPU riser (currently not being used)

Everything had been running great until a few nights ago when I fired up SW Jedi Fallen Order and went to connect a PS4 controller (via bluetooth).  An hour after searching Google & trying various fixes, I noticed that a recent Intel bluetooth update had occurred, and I realized that I hadn't used the bluetooth since.  Unable to roll back the driver, I decided that I would just reinstall Win10 Pro and not let the driver update.  After everything was all said and done, I connected the controller back up and the game was running smoothly.  I had over 100 fps constantly, and GPU/CPU temps were comfortably in the 60's.

The next day I hop back in the game, and my temps have skyrocketed... CPU is fine, holding steady with similar temps, slightly higher than previously, which I'm assuming is a byproduct of the GPU... it's temps have spiked into the 90's, causing the GPU clock to throttle down to 500mhz or less.

I have no clue where to start looking at things.  Any help would be much appreciated

What is your case?

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

No Offense to intelligence but have you looked inside the case since yesterday, maybe a cable is stopping a fan from spinning...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

none taken 🙂  case is currently open since I've been dealing with everything, but no... no cable is in the way or anything.

It just randomly booted up one morning with the GPU spiking