RTX 3070 Game Crashes, BSOD, and Boot Failures

Minuis
Go to solution Solved by L1-,

disable docp (or xmp) in your bios see if that works

otherwise uninstall this windows update: Cumulative windows update for 20H2 KB4598242

Since your motherboard has bluetooth functionality this update is confirmed to conflict with some certain firmware.

Let me know if this helps

Hey,
I've gotten my hands on a MSI 3070 2x OC, and i've been getting almost daily BSODs, game crashes, and even occasionally when i try to boot, it will just fail to do so, restart multiple times until it finally does boot into windows..
It doesnt seem to happen under load specifically, as some crashes happened while playing league of legends (what i usually play) and when i launch Escape from Tarkov ( the other game i play the most).
BSOD happen mostly randomly, while watching youtube, browsing or just using discord, i havent noticed a pattern.

More recently i had a weird crash where the screen went mostly black, with some leftovers of what was on display previously remaining (see attachment- sorry for the dark environment)

Temperatures are around 60c-70c under load, never seen them above 75

Here's my specs : 
Ryzen 7 3700X 
ROG Strix x570-E Gaming
4x 8GB Ripjaws V 3600 
MSI RTX 3070 2x OC
Corsair RM650 650W 80+Gold
64-bit Windows 10 

BSOD Zip

Spoiler

IMG_1189.thumb.jpg.e771af0d1b4157adb21f4f5b88210952.jpgIMG_1190.thumb.jpg.64a7e5681313f68c300356c42e396af4.jpg

Edited by Minuis
Added BSOD Zip

disable docp (or xmp) in your bios see if that works

otherwise uninstall this windows update: Cumulative windows update for 20H2 KB4598242

Since your motherboard has bluetooth functionality this update is confirmed to conflict with some certain firmware.

Let me know if this helps

DOCP is not enabled , (I just have Ai Overclock Tuner option set to Auto) 

That windows update might be the cause, since i only got crashes etc the past week or so, and that update was released 11th january

I will try uninstalling that windows update and will update this post if it happens again 
Thanks!

What card did you have before? Did you wipe all of the old graphics drivers with DDU in safe mode? Also what you have attached in the picture is this what is happening to your computer? These weird artefacts point to a graphics card issue, that is possibly hardware related, rather than having to do with software.  

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

I had a Gigabyte 1060 3GB Windforce OC, and no, i didnt wipe all the old drivers with DDU in safe mode, it was almost plug and play for me. Installed the card, went to https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us, chose my graphics card and installed the drivers for it.

Originally i had THIS
Replacing the motherboard, cpu and ram around august 2020, and then finally in december replacing the gpu and psu. The windows install was still the same tho as i kept my storage.
When i got the new motherboard cpu and ram, i had instability issues with my cpu, which was fixed by updating the bios.

This 3070 arrived on the 2nd of December along with the PSU, and i installed them both on that day.
I had no issues until these last few weeks.

Normally i simply get BSODs or game crashes, the pictures i attached was what most recently happened for first and single time so far.
I was in a game of league and all of a sudden most of the screens went black with some leftover artifacts. I rebooted and things worked normally since.

13 minutes ago, Minuis said:

I had a Gigabyte 1060 3GB Windforce OC, and no, i didnt wipe all the old drivers with DDU in safe mode, it was almost plug and play for me. Installed the card, went to https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us, chose my graphics card and installed the drivers for it.

Originally i had THIS
Replacing the motherboard, cpu and ram around august 2020, and then finally in december replacing the gpu and psu. The windows install was still the same tho as i kept my storage.
When i got the new motherboard cpu and ram, i had instability issues with my cpu, which was fixed by updating the bios.

This 3070 arrived on the 2nd of December along with the PSU, and i installed them both on that day.
I had no issues until these last few weeks.

Normally i simply get BSODs or game crashes, the pictures i attached was what most recently happened for first and single time so far.
I was in a game of league and all of a sudden most of the screens went black with some leftover artifacts. I rebooted and things worked normally since.

I get it, the image was taken in a dark room and wasn't super clear. If there are no artifacts then hardware-wise you should be fine. In this case what I would suggest is to simply reinstall Windows and start from scratch. This OS has seen too many upgrades and has leftovers from a bunch of old drivers and Windows builds. There is a good chance this alone will fix the issue that you are having. Alternatively, since the problem began before a couple of weeks, you can always just run Windows restore assuming that you have it enabled and you have a date that can be chosen which is before the issue manifested itself. This doesn't always help, but is worth a try, as reinstalling Windows might be a hassle if you don't do regular backups. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

my plan is to get a pcie 4.0 M.2 ssd sometime this year, since my motherboard is pcie 4.0 compatible, and do a fresh windows install on that,  hence why i havent really done much about it, especially since i didnt have problems until this past week.

As suggested by someone else, i double checked that xmp (or docp i guess) is disabled and i uninstalled the windows update mentioned on one of the previous comments. 
So far its been fine, but since reboot temporarily fixed it before as well i cant say for sure that the update was the cause for it. 
I also updated my drivers and made sure everything was updated now. 
If i get another one of these strange crashes with artifacts i will definetly copy my files to a 3rd HDD i have laying around, and reinstall windows on the SSD. If its a BSOD i will post the dump file 
thanks for the help 

1 hour ago, Minuis said:

my plan is to get a pcie 4.0 M.2 ssd sometime this year, since my motherboard is pcie 4.0 compatible, and do a fresh windows install on that,  hence why i havent really done much about it, especially since i didnt have problems until this past week.

As suggested by someone else, i double checked that xmp (or docp i guess) is disabled and i uninstalled the windows update mentioned on one of the previous comments. 
So far its been fine, but since reboot temporarily fixed it before as well i cant say for sure that the update was the cause for it. 
I also updated my drivers and made sure everything was updated now. 
If i get another one of these strange crashes with artifacts i will definetly copy my files to a 3rd HDD i have laying around, and reinstall windows on the SSD. If its a BSOD i will post the dump file 
thanks for the help 

🙂 please update me if it crashed or BSOD again

Hey update :
I havent had any issues since.
I changed the ram speed in bios from 3600 to auto previously, and i also did the windows uninstall that was recommended to me.
Can't tell for sure which one fixed it but either way, no problems since. 

Thanks for the help!

27 minutes ago, Minuis said:

Hey update :
I havent had any issues since.
I changed the ram speed in bios from 3600 to auto previously, and i also did the windows uninstall that was recommended to me.
Can't tell for sure which one fixed it but either way, no problems since. 

Thanks for the help!

Good to know your issue has been resolved.