issues with new zen 3 build and flashing bios.

hi there, first time poster, first time builder here.  here’s my list of parts:

• and ryzen 7 5800x
  • asus tuf plus wifi b550 mobo
  • corsair cx750m power supply
  • g.skill ripsaws 2x16 GB RAM
  • msi geforce gtx 980ti (yes i know it’s old, it was a free gift from co-worker)
  • cooler master hyper 212 black cpu cooler
  • lian li lancool II mesh case
  • lg ulta gear monitor

everything went together ok, issue is it won’t post.  i tried to update the bios as this mobo has a bios flashback button.  downloaded latest onto usb stick, uncompressed, made sure the rest of root dir was empty, stuck it in the bios usb slot, held the flashback button for 3 seconds until it started flashing and then went solid, left it that way for hours.  next day tried to boot again, nothing.,  monitor connected via HDMI says no signal.

as far i as i know, as someone without an older cpu and no windows boxes (linux nerd here) this is the only way to update the bios for the zen 3 chip.  any suggestions (besides buying windows) welcome.  planning on running fedora linux as i work for red hat and eat my own dog food.

thanks for reading!

13 minutes ago, epona.fyrefly said:

hi there, first time poster, first time builder here.  here’s my list of parts:

• and ryzen 7 5800x
  • asus tuf plus wifi b550 mobo
  • corsair cx750m power supply
  • g.skill ripsaws 2x16 GB RAM
  • msi geforce gtx 980ti (yes i know it’s old, it was a free gift from co-worker)
  • cooler master hyper 212 black cpu cooler
  • lian li lancool II mesh case
  • lg ulta gear monitor

everything went together ok, issue is it won’t post.  i tried to update the bios as this mobo has a bios flashback button.  downloaded latest onto usb stick, uncompressed, made sure the rest of root dir was empty, stuck it in the bios usb slot, held the flashback button for 3 seconds until it started flashing and then went solid, left it that way for hours.  next day tried to boot again, nothing.,  monitor connected via HDMI says no signal.

as far i as i know, as someone without an older cpu and no windows boxes (linux nerd here) this is the only way to update the bios for the zen 3 chip.  any suggestions (besides buying windows) welcome.  planning on running fedora linux as i work for red hat and eat my own dog food.

thanks for reading!

Well if it didn't post originally they everything did not go together OK. Take your PC apart and reassemble it something is wrong

7 hours ago, Biomecanoid said:

Well if it didn't post originally they everything did not go together OK. Take your PC apart and reassemble it something is wrong

i resolved the issue.  posting the resolution for others who will undoubtedly encounter this.

once extracting asus' tar file of the bios update, you see you have a file called 'TUF-GAMING-B550-PLUS-ASUS-1801.CAP' and an executable called 'BIOSRenamer.exe'.  not having a windows machine, i was unable to run the .exe file.  had a friend download on his windows box, run the renaming script, and tell me that the file was now called 'TGB550PS.CAP'.  i renamed the file on my USB to that, tried again, and it worked.  looks like the bios update needs to be called exactly 'TGB550PS.CAP' to be recognized.