Help with making parts list

Budget (including currency): $1200-$2000 max

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:

Other details 

I'm trying to build a PC for the first time and i have no idea where to begin. I am an engineering student (i use programs like Matlab, Solid-works, And Ansys and sometimes even at the same time). I plan on PC gaming as well (like the big name titles). Generally I'm running a lot of tabs at a given time. I need it as quiet as possible (the quieter the better) and i need a very large amount of storage (both short term and long term storage).

(And some other things i would like to include are as follows: 1) a wired and wireless Ethernet connection 2) audio for speakers and headphones 3) a CD/DVD player (if it could burn CD as well that would be amazing) 4) a lot of usb ports and a way to make sure i can see that everything is running properly after i put it together (like a control center or something)

I know that i am being very picky and making my first PC build a challenging one right know i have like $1200 but i have no problem to save up to like $2k if anything. If you could help point me in the right direction it would be very helpful any advise would be helpful (i have 0 past experiences making PCs).

My friend is an eng student as well and he wanted a laptop he could bring to campus (this was before covid) have you considered that you might need a laptop instead if covid restrictions end?

As for gaming what games in particular? Warzone? Cyberpunk? Csgo? And is there a resolution or refresh rate you want to play at? 4K? 1440p 144hz? 240hz?

As for the lots of tabs I think you'll be fine with 16gb but I'll need to refresh my memory on the requirements of matlab, solid-works, and asys.

You need it quiet ok. Lots of storage, do you have a more concrete idea of how much you'll need? 1tb SSD for windows and games and 2tb hdd for storage of what?

Wireless and ethernet is easy just make sure to get a motherboard with built in wifi. As for the CD/DVD reader/burner I recommend that you get an external USB reader/burner.

SPEC LIST:

• CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X w/ NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm Liquid Cooler
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4 x 8GB) 5000MHz CL18
  • Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Godlike
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro PCIe 4.0 1TB (x3)
  • PSU: Corsair AX1600i
  • Case: NZXT H710
  • Monitor: Alienware AW2521H 25inch 360Hz 1ms

6 minutes ago, cm992 said:

My friend is an eng student as well and he wanted a laptop he could bring to campus (this was before covid) have you considered that you might need a laptop instead if covid restrictions end?

As for gaming what games in particular? Warzone? Cyberpunk? Csgo? And is there a resolution or refresh rate you want to play at? 4K? 1440p 144hz? 240hz?

As for the lots of tabs I think you'll be fine with 16gb but I'll need to refresh my memory on the requirements of matlab, solid-works, and asys.

You need it quiet ok. Lots of storage, do you have a more concrete idea of how much you'll need? 1tb SSD for windows and games and 2tb hdd for storage of what?

Wireless and ethernet is easy just make sure to get a motherboard with built in wifi. As for the CD/DVD reader/burner I recommend that you get an external USB reader/burner.

Ya I currently have a laptop but I think I’ve been pushing it to it’s limit (it’s getting slow and very loud) and I want something more reliable will I’m home that doesn’t take forever to work with.

I haven’t got into gaming yet (I want to start when I’m done with this pc) and I was think like cod or overwatch or league (to be honest idk yet) And I would like good resolution (not like newest of the new but something that looks really good and will not be out of date within the next 5 years more or less)

And ya I was thinking 64 Gb ram and I generally have a lot of stuff so I was going to go with like 2-4 tb hdd and 2 tb either ssd or m.2 (not sure witch yet) 

and ya I have heard there r motherboards with this stuff but idk anything (I’m also going to try and have lots of USB ports and if possible more then 1 hdmi port for like 2 monitors)

and ya I thought about getting one of those to but Idk if I will be able to find a case that I can put it in (because I don’t want the drive loose and just sitting on top of my pc) 

also I have heard water cooling is quiet but that It requires a lot of maintenance (and I would like to have to open the pc as little as possible)

and I didn’t c a video card on ur list do u think I need 1 or?

54 minutes ago, Animeman said:

Budget (including currency): $1200-$2000 max

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:

Other details 

I'm trying to build a PC for the first time and i have no idea where to begin. I am an engineering student (i use programs like Matlab, Solid-works, And Ansys and sometimes even at the same time). I plan on PC gaming as well (like the big name titles). Generally I'm running a lot of tabs at a given time. I need it as quiet as possible (the quieter the better) and i need a very large amount of storage (both short term and long term storage).

(And some other things i would like to include are as follows: 1) a wired and wireless Ethernet connection 2) audio for speakers and headphones 3) a CD/DVD player (if it could burn CD as well that would be amazing) 4) a lot of usb ports and a way to make sure i can see that everything is running properly after i put it together (like a control center or something)

I know that i am being very picky and making my first PC build a challenging one right know i have like $1200 but i have no problem to save up to like $2k if anything. If you could help point me in the right direction it would be very helpful any advise would be helpful (i have 0 past experiences making PCs).

ok so this list is for mostly work related tasks. If you plan on doing like 70% gaming then I can make another one. This list is still great for gaming but the CPU is better for multithreaded tasks. Also you have to wait for the GPU to come in stock. If you don't want to wait then something like a used 1080ti would work quite well. 

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

3 minutes ago, Downkey said:

ok so this list is for mostly work related tasks. If you plan on doing like 70% gaming then I can make another one. This list is still great for gaming but the CPU is better for multithreaded tasks. Also you have to wait for the GPU to come in stock. If you don't want to wait then something like a used 1080ti would work quite well. 

What if it’s going to be like 60% work and 40% gaming/anime watching 

and I was thinking 2tb m.2 and would the power supply allow me to add thing onto it later 

would 2x32 gb ram be just as good as the 4x8gb ram 

and would I be able to have a lot of USB port and more then 1 hdmi port (for 2 monitors) 

(I have no problem going to the $2k limit or just a little over ($2100 max)

25 minutes ago, Animeman said:

What if it’s going to be like 60% work and 40% gaming/anime watching 

and I was thinking 2tb m.2 and would the power supply allow me to add thing onto it later 

would 2x32 gb ram be just as good as the 4x8gb ram 

and would I be able to have a lot of USB port and more then 1 hdmi port (for 2 monitors) 

(I have no problem going to the $2k limit or just a little over ($2100 max)

Okay. I’m sticking to the 3700x build then.

Yes, you can add a 2TB m.2 later on

4x8 is 32 and 2x32 is 64 lol. I’m going to assume you mean 4x16 and 2x32. There is a small benefit to quad channel, but I went with it because quad channel kits are cheaper

This should have enough USB ports for a lot of general tasks

This GPU has 3 display ports, and 1 HDMI.

geometry is hard
b550 > x570

19 hours ago, Downkey said:

Okay. I’m sticking to the 3700x build then.

Yes, you can add a 2TB m.2 later on

4x8 is 32 and 2x32 is 64 lol. I’m going to assume you mean 4x16 and 2x32. There is a small benefit to quad channel, but I went with it because quad channel kits are cheaper

This should have enough USB ports for a lot of general tasks

This GPU has 3 display ports, and 1 HDMI.

How does this look 

On 1/27/2021 at 2:40 PM, Downkey said:

Does this video card work with solid works