How to clean termal paste?

Cristian Pavel

Hi guys! I have bought a new pc powered by the ryzen 5 5600x. Since the stock cooler can not maintain a safe temperature... I have ordered a new one, arctic freezer 34 esports duo. Here is my question : Does it matter which type of alcohol I am gonna use to clear the thermal paste ? A lot of people recommend using isopropyl alcohol but I am not sure I can get this one.

7 minutes ago, Cristian Pavel said:

Does it matter which type of alcohol I am gonna use to clear the thermal paste ?

What matters is that there are no additives that then get left on the surfaces. If it was e.g. nail-polish remover, those typically have all sorts of skin-care oils and such in them and you don't want those oils on the CPU.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

16 minutes ago, Cristian Pavel said:

Hi guys! I have bought a new pc powered by the ryzen 5 5600x. Since the stock cooler can not maintain a safe temperature... I have ordered a new one, arctic freezer 34 esports duo. Here is my question : Does it matter which type of alcohol I am gonna use to clear the thermal paste ? A lot of people recommend using isopropyl alcohol but I am not sure I can get this one.

I have been using alcohol that you get from the super market or pharmacy store for decades, no problem

I just use a slightly damp paper towel and then use a dry one to wipe it off.

Alcohol swab pads, like the ones they use before they give you a shot. You can buy boxes of them at any pharmacy. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

You should reconsider you choice of cooler, according to intel's TAC 2.0 spec. the cooler should be blowing down towards the CPU and MB.

The  arctic freezer 34 esports duo only cools the CPU and neglects the voltage regulators feeding it!

An example of a TAC 2.0 compliant cooler would be the Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4...

NH%2DL9X65.jpg

thermally-advantaged-chassis-design-guide (1).pdf

34 minutes ago, GroundRod said:

You should reconsider you choice of cooler, according to intel's TAC 2.0 spec. the cooler should be blowing down towards the CPU and MB.

The  arctic freezer 34 esports duo only cools the CPU and neglects the voltage regulators feeding it!

NH%2DL9X65.jpg

thermally-advantaged-chassis-design-guide (1).pdf 277.13 kB · 0 downloads

I guess 90% of all the air coolers on the market are "non-compliant" then! Lol. I mean clearly Intel knows what they're doing though, if only every air cooler could be as good as the one Intel includes with their CPU's, am I right?

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

54 minutes ago, GroundRod said:

NH%2DL9X65.jpg

thermally-advantaged-chassis-design-guide (1).pdf 277.13 kB · 0 downloads

While it is true that flat down blowing coolers do create airflow over the VRM coolers and cool them at the same time, that spec ignores airflow in the case from case fans and it also ignores the big cooling blocks many mainboard manufacturers slap on top of the VRMs.

Use the quote function when answering! Mark people directly if you want an answer from them!

As crappy as it is, the included fan conforms to the spec!

Although intel is the publisher, the TAC 2.0 is based on science and measurement in a lab by engineers.

So, your assumption, all be it not serious, is correct, most of the OC hardware is non compliant!

That's why I am still using a 17 year old case.  

32 minutes ago, GroundRod said:

As crappy as it is, the included fan conforms to the spec!

Although intel is the publisher, the TAC 2.0 is based on science and measurement in a lab by engineers.

So, your assumption, all be it not serious, is correct, most of the OC hardware is non compliant!

It is a wonder my 5900x system hasn't melted then since my vrms only get cooling from my radiator fans. Oh wait... my vrm temps under full load are in the 45-55c range. Ya, I think the 60+c of head room is a good indicator that it isn't an issue.

48 minutes ago, GroundRod said:

Ah yes, 2004, the peak of PC thermal performance and airflow design. 

When 520W was considered a sufficient PSU for a high-end system

When this was considered a beefy cooling solution on a GPU

And this was a premium case