‘Sniper mouse’ recommendations

Garlic

I am looking for a wireless mouse for my work computer, and I would love a feature like a ‘sniper button’ that would lower the mouses DPI while I hold it, and not just one that cycles through DPI settings like my Logitech G603 does. I also need it to function without any additional software installed on the PC, and I would like to keep the RGB to a minimum.

What mouse should I be looking at?

Technically something like the Corsair M65 fits the bill, but there is the caveat of rainbow vomit RGB (though your hand will cover most of that up anyways) and the fact that you can't adjust the sniper DPI which by default is 400DPI, if memory serves, without the ass-cheese that is iCUE. Curious to see what else is out there though. You also can't adjust the different DPI steps without iCUE which i think default to something like 800, 1600 (or 2000), 3200, and then some obnoxiously high one.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

The M65 looks like it would do what I need, even if its RGB is a bit much for a work setting. But does it come in wireless?

37 minutes ago, Garlic said:

The M65 looks like it would do what I need, even if its RGB is a bit much for a work setting. But does it come in wireless?

Sniper buttons arent popular anymore so i dont think you'll find any recent mice with them.

I don’t mind buying used or hunting old stock. This combination of features is a real dream combo for me, I just need a model to look for.

1 minute ago, Exidor said:

Some software lets you remap a button to DPI switch....

It's apparently important to him to be able to hold the button down to change the DPI and just press it to switch.

I didn't know anybody actually used those "sniper buttons" on mice that had them even for gaming, can't imagine the purpose on a "work computer" but I'm sure he has his reasons. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

Just now, Middcore said:

It's apparently important to him to be able to hold the button down to change the DPI and just press it to switch.

I didn't know anybody actually used those "sniper buttons" on mice that had them even for gaming, can't imagine the purpose on a "work computer" but I'm sure he has his reasons. 

You can map it to hold....

It has both interface for hold and release... That is doable. It registers both on click and on release.

Just now, Exidor said:

You can map it to hold....

It has both interface for hold and release... That is doable. It registers both on click and on release.

Would you need to have the mouse software running in the background for this though? Because it's apparently also essential to him that he doesn't have to install any additional software. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Would you need to have the mouse software running in the background for this though? Because it's apparently also essential to him that he doesn't have to install any additional software. 

Not sure.....

It does save profiles to the mouse. Some functions work without the drivers others dont.

You would need to install it once to program it after that not sure. Some functions work also on my laptop where I do not have the software as it saves the profiles onboard the mouse others dont.....

I would say you would likely need the software.....

Then again even on my old RAT 7 that had a dedicated snipe button you needed the drivers for it to work.

These days I spend a lot of my work day manually integrating chromatograms, and having the option to lower DPI when marking my peaks would be nice. I can set up the mouse at home if I need software to do so, but I don't want to install any questionable gaming mouse control software on a company computer.

1 hour ago, Garlic said:

These days I spend a lot of my work day manually integrating chromatograms, and having the option to lower DPI when marking my peaks would be nice. I can set up the mouse at home if I need software to do so, but I don't want to install any questionable gaming mouse control software on a company computer.

Well I am not sure you will find what you are looking for.

The Z is the only mouse I know that has that functionality and can be bought new.

It might work without the drivers. It is not exactly a gaming mouse I guess.... 

I do not know a single mouse that would do what you want without drivers and even those are old and used by now.

There used to be the RAT series but the company behind it Mad Catz died.... 

8 minutes ago, Exidor said:

Well I am not sure you will find what you are looking for.

The Z is the only mouse I know that has that functionality and can be bought new.

It might work without the drivers. It is not exactly a gaming mouse I guess.... 

I do not know a single mouse that would do what you want without drivers and even those are old and used by now.

There used to be the RAT series but the company behind it Mad Catz died.... 

Mad Catz brand actually got revived by a Hong Kong-based company that bought the trademarks and assets out of bankruptcy. As long as there is a need for "the crappy controller you give you friend when he comes over to your house" and "mice that look like Megatron's donger", Mad Catz will endure! 

2 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Mad Catz brand actually got revived by a Hong Kong-based company that bought the trademarks and assets out of bankruptcy. As long as there is a need for "the crappy controller you give you friend when he comes over to your house" and "mice that look like Megatron's donger", Mad Catz will endure! 

Dude the last comment was too graphic some things can not be unseen........

Also EWWWW I used to have one as a teen some 15 or more years ago...... Now I feel that I have been jerking of the mega dongle for years and years of my youth......

I took a chance and ordered a refurbished M.O.U.S.9 on eBay. I’ll just close my eyes and pretend it’s Optimus, thanks guys 👍