New Workstation Build for Datascience and a little gaming

gman_science

Hey Folks 🙂

I'm currently builind a science/gaming workstation for my homeoffice. Since I havent build a computer the last 18 years, I was at first a overflowed by the market and new technology. Now, I'm pretty confident that I have a nice build Idea but I still struggle at some points. Here is my part list so far:

I Already bought the Mainboard and the Samsung M2. But I am really unsure about the RAM. I want 32 or 64 GB due to intensive data which I will handle, but I'm not sure what will be sufficient. Moreover I have the following question: Is it realistic, that with this CPU an MB, a 3600 or 3800 CL 14 4 DIMM Ram will work with the DOCP ? I read a lot of topics in which people had serious stability issues with a 4 DIMM setup, but the all have Zen 2 CPUs. Has anybody a recommandation for a 4 DIMM RAM setup on this board - and maybe expierence with reaching the magical 2000 MHZ FCLK on Zen 3?

I also still struggeling whether I should invest in a 16-core 5950x, but as we will most likely have a 32 core threadripper / 256 GB RAM setup in the lab and I'm also into Gaming at home, I tend to the 5900x. As a GPU I plan a RTX 3080, which will also be used for ML tasks. Would would you think about a 850w PSU? Is this sufficient or should I go with 1000.

As I want to invest a little bit in a HO, Budget is only a minor concern....

The main things I'll do with it is

• Data Simulations
  • Modeling (STAN, Bayesian Stats)
  • Machine Learning
  • EEG Data Processing

Love to hear your thoughts !

greetings

Jan

Memory speed and timings can be important, but generally bleeding edge is not worth the cost. DDR4-3600 CL 16 is fine. It is unlikely you would notice the difference of something faster or lower CL. Keep in mind that more memory trump's faster in most situations. So get a 2x32GB memory kit. This will leave room for an upgrade should it be necessary.

If you are really worried about memory compatibility, check the Asus memory QVL for the motherboard. With G.Skill memory one can also check the QVL tab of the kit web page. Crucial also has a good compatibility checker.

850W is more than enough. In fact 750W would be fine.

Have you considered using an air tower cooler? Unless you plan heavy overclocking they will do an excellent job and are more reliable.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler  ($89.90 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 64 GB (2 x 32 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($347.95 @ B&H) 
Storage: Western Digital Black SN850 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($449.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card 
Case: Fractal Design Meshify 2 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($151.98 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($144.99 @ Best Buy) 
Total: $1184.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-27 10:27 EST-0500

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Thank you for the advice ! I already checked the QVL of Asus and G.Skill and the contradict. Whereas Asus does not list the Ram, Gskill does. I know the QVL lists are only a rough orientation, but its still risky as the ram is quiet expensive :).

Yeah I actually plan some overclocking thats why I wanted a high end cooling solution.

1 hour ago, gman_science said:

Thank you for the advice ! I already checked the QVL of Asus and G.Skill and the contradict. Whereas Asus does not list the Ram, Gskill does. I know the QVL lists are only a rough orientation, but its still risky as the ram is quiet expensive :).

Yeah I actually plan some overclocking thats why I wanted a high end cooling solution.

QVL are rarely exhaustive. Unless the Asus QVL has a note indicating a part is not compatible, accept the G.Skill entry. And vice versa.

The Dark Rock Pro 4 is good to 250W TDP. More than enough for most overclocking.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

ah good to know. got now a corsair rmx 850 and now searching for available cases.... also hard to get are cpus of the ryzen 5000 series in those times. hopefully I can finish the project in february.