VS650w. Would it fine fine?

Tanspotty

I am currently planning to upgrade my exiting PC's GPU with the RTX 3070 Eagle and I have looked and saw people not recommending me using it but the thing is I talked to someone who knows PC's and says it should be fine however I am concerned. Sure its a low end power supply but it hasn't had any issues with my current setup. As long its a 650w it should work as Nvidia didn't say anything about it being low end or high end, just that it has to be a 650w. 

Also I would like to know if I can stick with the VS650w what cable splitter would I need exactly as I am not sure what cable I will be needing

My current hardware is

i7-7700k 4.2ghz quad core

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Asus Z270E Gaming Motherboard

2x8gb Vengeance 3200mhz RAM

1TB NVME SSD

250gb SATA SSD (Boot drive)

250gb SATA SSD (random stuff)

1tb HDD (Barely use)

Corsair VS650W Active PFC 80 PLUS

GTX 1050 OC 2GB

CiT Blaze PC case (6 fans)

4 minutes ago, Tanspotty said:

Also I would like to know if I can stick with the VS650w

I am currently planning to upgrade my exiting PC's GPU with the RTX 3070

There's no way I would trust a VS to handle the power spikes off the 3070. 650 watts is fine, but the model is not. I recommend not sticking with Corsair's most budget unit when buying a rather expensive graphics card.

Nvidia didn't say anything about it being low end or high end, just that it has to be a 650w. 

low or high end can't be put on a spec sheet. if Nvidia put "high end" as a requirement on their 3070 info, what would people take that to mean?

Edited by Fasauceome

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I am thinking to get the Corsair RM660W but I want to avoid spending more then I can afford. 

12 minutes ago, Tanspotty said:

I am thinking to get the Corsair RM660W but I want to avoid spending more then I can afford. 

make sure to use the quote button or we won't see your responses.

There are lots of options for a 3070, are you buying in the united states?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

12 minutes ago, Tanspotty said:

UK

you have to use the quote button

image.png.fea751ef22dea1b2bb0b7366c50f1db0.png

consider this

Corsair TXM Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (CP-9020132-NA) - PCPartPicker

less expensive, still suitable

Primary PC:

Get an corsair one for sure. Some Gigabyte and Seasonic models seem not to be able to handle the transient spikes. I got an 850rmx for my 3070